1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Internet Security Settings is Preventing One or More Files from Opening

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FuzMic, 2018/01/08.

1. 2018/01/08
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi guys

Internet Security Settings is Preventing One or More Files from Opening

This problem occur in win7 & according web suggestion we can fix it in Control panel > Internet Setting > Security but there is nothing appearing at sites, hence suggested solution don't work.

Any bright ideas, guys!

2. 2018/01/09
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What settings?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/09
    FuzMic

Bill here you are Internet Explorer security zone settings . Does this not make sense to you?
    Perhaps this make better sense
    What I mean is all executable ends with the same message. This applies to simple note.exe.
    Even new files outside the system harddisk eg on a pendrive, hence no way to run any adware or malware
    The following tried but not avail
    1. Boot in Safe Mode - can get into safe mode, the same no executable can run.
    2. Restore to various points - can restore
    3. Repair on boot up - no problem in repair
    Waiting for your help.:rolleyes:

Last edited: 2018/01/09
  5. 2018/01/09
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you shut down and restart your comp after making the changes?

6. 2018/01/09
    FuzMic

Yes Sir, reboot many times after many experimentation. Neil, nothing can be run, almost total shut, window explorer works but nothing can run!!?? Any any old ideas?

PS I am now going to try RegEdit on the association registry for .exe & exefile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile
    KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

Do you think it will work?

Or should I use this registry entries instead?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
    "exefile"=hex(0):

Which set is better to solve this problem in win7

Last edited: 2018/01/09
  7. 2018/01/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

8. 2018/01/09
    FuzMic

Pete since you are pointing to the same file association direction, would you go for changing the CLASS-ROOT association or go for CURRENT USER assocation.

Alternative if the issue is at current user, do you think if i create another new user it will not block?

9. 2018/01/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would go for the Class-Root association as indicated in the MS article. Remember to back up the registry entries you will change before changing them. I would think that current-user would reference the class-root setting.

10. 2018/01/11
    FuzMic

Pete; regedit will not fix as the corruption of the registry was too deep. Through Ctrl-Alt-Del i can run most .exe from the TaskMgr>File>NewTask but changes made to the registry have no effect.

At the end because i have a good registry backup using TweatingRegistryBackup i can it running with all .exe working. I have to do this from Safe Mode as my old version has not .cmd yet.