1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Installing Windows 95 on a pentium4 machine

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by kmstrube81, 2013/02/27.

1. 2013/02/27
    kmstrube81

kmstrube81 Inactive Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Experienced
    Hey guys, I'm doing a little project taking an old machine through all versions of windows from 95 to 8 (wanted to start at 3.0 but i don't have a license or install disk for 3.0 or 3.1), doing upgrade installs the whole way.

Anyways I needed a computer that can handle Windows 8 so i decided on an old computer that was given to me running a pentium 4. Windows 95 doesn't like new hardware (not that a p4 is top-of-line) and I can't get it to boot. (I have another computer thats running a p3 and runs win95 just fine but i doubt it could run Windows 8, I'm pretty sure its clock speed is under 1GHz)

It throws the error, could not initialize ios.vxd you may need to restart your computer. I ended up installing a patch for win95 for AMDk6 processors which allows me to boot into safe mode. Trying to boot the computer normally causes it to crash when it loads system drivers. Has anyone here tried to install 95 on a higher end system? I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks for you help guys! regards

2. 2013/02/27
    Lukeno1

Lukeno1 Well-Known Member

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    First up, have you done the obvious and made sure you're running 512 MB of RAM or less? Next, I would note that Windows 95 is quite intolerant of newer hardware, at least in its earlier revisions - if you can get hold of one of the later versions, like OSR2, then you may have a little more luck. I can tell you that Win98 (at least in SE form) and beyond will work perfectly with P4s, having run two different P4 machines with that OS.

There is a 2.1 GHz limit (of sorts) in Windows 95, which I'm pretty sure may be the root cause of your issues. This link may help you with this issue.

With regards to Windows 8 on a PIII of less than 1 GHz, I believe it may well work, but you may have to perform some trickery with the install to make it happen - likewise for Vista and 7 if it's a noticeable way below 1 GHz.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/03/08
    easeltine

easeltine Inactive

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    You sound as crazy as I am. If you are just doing the project for fun you should get a Partition Software and throw a bunch of Operating Systems on your P3 at the same time for fun.
    I have some old machines where I could teach all the old legacy software by showing a class from the same computer - even including OS/2 and Linux.

My wife still uses an expensive, old, DOS program from 1995, (newer version $3,000). In 1999 the Software company that sells this DOS program called me up, (Y2K scare), and told me, "On January 1, 2000 your _ _ _ _ _ _ _ will cease to function!" I told them, "No, I have tried the Y2K test and it still works.

Here I am 13 years later and it still works!

5. 2013/03/16
    easeltine

easeltine Inactive

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Ok, the ultimate test for that software would be to take out of the closet the hard drive that has been in there 12 years, (Caviar 2420/425 MB/Win 95 - Made in 12/93), and attach it to the Dell Dimension 2400/2100 Mhz/512 MB RAM - Pentium 4.

Took me awhile...but it works pretty good! LOL! DOS lives on!

Now, I am checking for bad sectors with ScanDisk 51,839. Every SECTOR good per Scandisk - 20 years old, now that's Caviar.

Last edited: 2013/03/16