1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Installing HDD docking

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Spanner, 2013/10/13.

1. 2013/10/13
    Spanner

Spanner Inactive Thread Starter

Trying to install HDD Docking unit,insert driver get, no response, go to 'Run' type in 'setup.exe' get window message "Please go to Control Panel to install and configure system components " .
    Where do I go with this please, I suspect I already know but my brain is water logged.
    Incidentally,the translation to English of the installation/operating instructions is very poor,and badly printed, if anyone has the basic (readable) installation/operating instructions to hand for an 'All in 1 HDD Docking' unit .I would be grateful.
    Spanner.

2. 2013/10/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

As usual you have given no indication of the OS involved :mad:
    Presumably you mean a driver CD? Looks like it is not auto running.

Simply typing setup.exe in the run box will get you nowhere - unless you type the complete path to the setup.exe in the Run box Windows will have no idea which setup.exe to run.

I suggest you open the driver CD in Windows Explorer and double click on setup.exe or the appropriate executable.

It would also help if you posted more info re. the caddy such as make and model no.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/13
    Spanner

What difference does the OS make ? ( it is XP) it would be the same whatever.
    Quote ( actual, as is) from 'OTB user's manual, page 2 item 1,' " Please put PCClone EX CD into CD ROM drive, the program goes on screen of PCClone Setup Wizard ( in case the screen doesn't come out, pleaseoperate the window box of 'setup.exe')
    Item 2 Click 'install'.
    The Caddy is as mentioned 'All in 1 HDD Docking' model 875.
    'It would help' if I got some sort of reply to the second part of the thread regarding 'translation'.
    And it's still raining.
    Spanner

5. 2013/10/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

6. 2013/10/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

It makes a lot of difference - Windows 7 has far more drivers incorporated in the OS than XP and many more are available for download via Device Manager.

A quick Google for All in 1 HDD Docking Model 875 gives this hit ......

All in 1 HDD docking Station driver download page This lists the files on the CD - you require the 875 file - assuming this is the docking station you are posting about.
    That is highly unlikely - those 'English' instructions will be the only version.

7. 2013/10/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

From Steve's post -
    So Windows should recognise it - the software is some cloning program I think.

8. 2013/10/14
    Spanner

Thanks Steve, that is the HDD docking unit I am referring to.
    PeterC, I went into Windows Explorer and found the download for the 875, got a 'Windows cannot open this file,'use web' was one option, I did that and got a list of RAR files, such as WinZip, Win Ace, RARlab Win RAR, and Shiftit expander. Etc;, have no idea what to use.
    Earlier, I put the driver CD , for the 'All in 1 HDD docking' ,in the tray and eventually got a window with options to 'view photo's', 'print photo's, ' copy photo's' or ' take no action'.
    So the PC is not reading the 'All in 1 HDD Docking' driver, I believe it is just reacting to a disk in the tray ?.
    Going back to my opening of this thread, where I quoted the window message " Please go to Control Panel to install and configure system components ", what does it mean ? and is there any value in following this thru, and if yes, how ?.
    I want to use this 'caddy' to format old HD's, and use the SATA HD we have acquired, as an external drive without putting the SATA in the PC case.
    Spanner.

9. 2013/10/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

To open .rar files download a 40 day trial of WinRAR, but I still think the software on the CD is backup up software - as I posted above from the URL Steve posted no drivers are needed.
    Control Panel > Add Hardware and follow the Wizard through.

10. 2013/10/14
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It doesn't need a driver, it's just a USB-to-IDE|SATA HD dock.

Plug a hard drive into it and see if you can browse it in Windows Explorer.

If it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, go into Disk Management and see if the drive is recognized. If so, create one or more partitions on it, format each partition and assign each a drive letter. The drive partition(s) should now be visible in Windows Explorer.

If the drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management, there may be a problem with the drive itself or the HD dock.

Note that you can usually feel a hard drive running if you touch the top of it very lightly with the pad of one of your fingertips. If you don't feel a slight vibration, pick it up (gently) and twist it left and right and you should feel a sort of gyro effect because of the spinning platters. If it's spinning but you still can't access the drive, try a different means of accessing the drive before declaring it dead.

Last edited: 2013/10/14
  11. 2013/10/15
    Spanner

Thanks Doc, PeteC and Steve.
    I took the bull ( HDD Dock) by the horns, ignored the Driver ? supplied,plugged the lot in and waited, Nothing. Went to 'Control Panel' ,'Admin', ' Comp, Management', 'Disk Management'.
    Got a list of the working drives in the PC and the HD I had plugged in to the HDD Docking.
    After some fiddling about ( Ignored Hardware manual ) managed to format 2 old HD's, I think.
    Question 1, how do I view the contents of the drive in the dock ?, before and after formatting.
    Q2. is it important where the jumper is on the HD in the dock ?
    Q3 Would I be able to transfer data from the ATA ( IDE) HD to a SATA drive that would also be in the dock ?.
    I feel there is a better/quicker method of accessing the drive in the dock, but I am happy I have got this far with your help.
    FYI, the wording on the HDD Docking drive is " Driver for computer, peripheral products" and round the perimeter is printed " Do not put indirect sunlight for a prolonged period" .
    Front of Manual has " Hardware cloning manual "
    " OTB user's manual "
    " Software cloning manual "
    This may answer a few questions about the Driver.
    Thanks
    Spanner.

12. 2013/10/15
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Q1. Windows Explorer

Q2. You should be able to test that in a few seconds. Generally, the MASTER option would be the one to use.

Q3. Maybe. Again, look in Windows Explorer

13. 2013/10/15
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Note that you can't view the contents of a drive (partition) until it has been formatted. The reason is because you cannot store content on an unformatted disk/partition.