1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Installed SSD in laptop; disappearing icons and other issues

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by basketcase, 2018/04/08.

1. 2018/04/08
    basketcase Contributing Member

basketcase Well-Known Member Thread Starter

On Friday evening (4/6/18) I took the leap and did my own install of a Samsung 860 Evo series solid state drive in my Lenovo T430 laptop. The original drive was ~ 300 GB. For the replacement I went with a (budget conscious) 500 GB SSD.

The Samsung data migration software was used for the cloning and it went fine. Likewise, the physical swap on the drives was problem free. The unit rebooted (much faster, btw) without a hiccup. However, I have since discovered two issues.

Issue 1: No OneDrive Icon
    All of my notification area icons appeared as usual except for OneDrive. When I browse to the system folders with File Explorer I see that OneDrive is running, and all of my data is there. But - no icon.

I Googled the issue and found two cases at the Microsoft Knowledge base and applied both of those via a command prompt. Still no icon.

Issue 2: Cannot create a restore point
    Just as a precaution I then nosed around in the thing and decided to try creating a restore point. I got an error message that indicated restore ran into a problem. At the moment I'm on my home office desktop, but I'll retry the task on the laptop later today and capture a screen shot of the exact wording on the error message.

And that, gentle readers, is my tale of woe.

What suggestions, instructions, or general wisdom can you offer on a cure for these issues?

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

2. 2018/04/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Rick, since the clone and restart, have you brought everything up to date with a MS update?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/04/08

Yes sir. Everything is up to date. Still no OneDrive icon.

But I am half way to a resolution of the issues behind my two questions. This afternoon I booted up the laptop to capture the restore point error message and when I went to create a restore point it successfully did the chore.

5. 2018/04/10
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi basketcase.

You can try performing a reset of OneDrive and check if that helps.

Be cautious when using OneDrive reset. It won't affect your files, but reset does re-sync all of your OneDrive data, which could take some time depending on the size of your data.

You can reset OneDrive by doing the following:

1. Press the 'Windows key + R' to open the Run Window.

2. In the Run Window enter the following:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.

4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Let us know the result if the OneDrive icon appears successfully.

6. 2018/04/12

Okay. Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

I did the reset as noted above and yes, it took a while, but it did resync. The icon still did not show.

So knowing my data was backed up, I uninstalled the OneDrive app and then used CCleaner to tidy up the registry entries. Then I downloaded the most recent version of the OneDrive install utility and reinstalled it. During install it found the previous location (folders and files) so I let it use that location for the data.

I logged in and everything synced again, and the icon reappeared in the quick launch menu.

It's magic, I tell you. It's magic...

7. 2018/04/12
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Great, thanks for the update. :)