1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Installation of Office 2003 Service Pack 3 Fails!

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Evan Omo, 2008/08/05.

1. 2008/08/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I just installed Microsoft Office 2003 Professional on my Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 computer. I uninstalled Microsoft Office XP Professional before I installed Office 2003. Installation went fine. I then downloaded Office 2003 SP3 manually from the Microsoft website. Installation got about half way through before I got an error message that said "Error 2717 and internal error has occurred. Contact your system administrator for assistance." I clicked Ok and I got a dialog box that said the update cannot be applied. Once I closed that dialog box setup quit.

I have tried 2 times. Once putting the Office CD in the drive and once without it. Both times I get that error. There is just no excuse for this update to fail on a brand new install of office. How can there be corrupt files on a new install? I was able to install 2 other updates for Office without a problem. Should I try to install SP3 in Safe Mode? Also after the installation of office finshed I had setup delete the installation files from my harrdrive. The installation files were located in C:/MSOcache. Should I try having setup copy those files to my harddrive again and then seeing of SP3 will install?

Thanks for the assisstance. :)

2. 2008/08/05
    Evan Omo

I fixed it!

I ended up fixing my problem. I just did a reapir install of Office using the CD and then installed Office 2003 SP3. Installation was successfull and I was able to install the other security updates for office as well without a problem. I am still really baffled as to why a new install of office would cause SP3 to not install. I mean how could an install of office only a few hours old suddenly become corrupt and require a repair? :confused: Anyway all is good now. :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/08/05
    Bilb0

Bilb0 Inactive

I do not suggest doing it the way you did.

It is MUCH better to let the update software look at your drive and install when it needs, in the order it needs it.

Its hard to tell exactly what happened, but these issues seldom happen if you just let update do it for you.

5. 2008/08/06
    Evan Omo

What do you mean let the update software do it for you? Do you mean let office download and install the updates? What should I have done differently that you disagree with? :confused: The first thing I did was I used windows update to search for updates for Office 2003. Windows update said the Office SP3 was ready to install and when I tried to install it using windows update it failed so I downloaded SP3 manually and tried to install it again. That failed as well so I did a repair install of office and then I was successfull in installing SP3 manually. So obviously something happened during the installation of office that caused it to become corrupt and performing a repair install made it so that SP3 was successfull in installing. :)

6. 2008/08/08
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You did fine!

Arie,
  7. 2008/08/08
    Evan Omo

Thank you. :)