1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Install MS Acess on WIN2K8?

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by elcajongunsfan, 2013/03/05.

1. 2013/03/05
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Real big time trainee here. Set up a win2k8 as a domain and have a few clients log in and authenticate. strictly local network. They can open the .accdb files and then close them. But occassionally we want to open the files through remote desktop. But the best I can get is copy the file to my desktop, manipulate it and then copy/paste it (upload) it back to the server. When i try to open it remotely, it asks for the program to open them with which of course does not exist on the server. Since i have'nt a clue whether it's OK to install MS access on the WIN2K8 I'm asking the folks here for their advice. Am I making sense?

Thanks all

2. 2013/03/06
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

When you run through Remote Access, you run as a local user, so yea, it will look for the Access program on the server.

Access can be installed on Windows Server 2008, but you'll have to check your license.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/03/06

Thanks for reply. What do you mean by 'check the license "? Is there a server edition of MS Access?

5. 2013/03/06
    Arie

You'll have to see what your license allows. There are too many different license types. Volume licensing, Software Assurance (SA), OEM/Retail to name a few...

Arie,
  6. 2013/03/06

Welll, what do you think? I have no problem buying a copy of Access I just don't want to be oversold. I understand enterprise licensing and the such. this is just for a school project and I probably will never use it again after the end of this month

thanks

7. 2013/03/07
    Arie

Sorry, I'm not much use when it comes to licensing. Since it's a school you'd want to check with their supplier to see what license they have.

The other option is not to use a remote connection.

Arie,
  8. 2013/03/07

OK, yeah that's fascinating. I even called the Microsoft store here in So Cal and they couldn't answer the question either. Might be a career someone might be interested in: Licensing Microsoft products

I'll mark this thread closed