1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Insert Link Not Working in Thunderbird 31.0

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by BirdieBob, 2014/07/25.

1. 2014/07/25
    BirdieBob

BirdieBob Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Using Insert> Link the Link Properties Box appears. When I attenpt to paste a copied URL into the Link Location bar, I receive the error message "no named anchors or headings in this page ". The address cannot therefore be copied into the link properties and the link cannot be created in the message.

This function has always worked without a hitch in prior versions. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

2. 2014/07/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi BirdieBob, Are you trying to open a link in an email?
    Copy a link in an email?
    Or put a link into an email?
    If you highlight a link/web url Right click on it - all I get is the usual copy/paste which works fine for me. Neil

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/26
    BirdieBob

Neil:

I'm trying to insert a link into an email.

I right-click and copy the URL that I want the link to refer to but it cannot be pasted into the Link Properties box in the (lower) Link Location bar. The URL is being copied (since it can be pasted as is into the message itself) but the Link Location bar won't accept the paste.

I think it's a bug in TB 31 but I'm not sure. Can you use Insert> Link and successfully create a link (copy in a URL and name it) within a message?

5. 2014/07/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

In Outlook it's very simple ....

Copy the URL and in the message pane at the flashing cursor Ctrl+V or right click > paste.

Does that not work in Thunderbird ? - which I have never used, let alone seen!

6. 2014/07/26
    BirdieBob

Pete:

The problem is not copying the URL and pasting it into a message. That function works fine.

In TB, Insert> Link allows you to rename the link for that URL for insertion into a message. For example, inserting My Post as the link to the URL for this post which is http://www.windowsbbs.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=627344.

To do that the URL must be pasted or entered into the Links Properties dialog box under Link Location and the desired link name entered (My Post) as the Link Name. In at least my TB 31.0, the Link Location bar will not accept a paste of the URL (or any other item to be pasted).

7. 2014/07/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Now I see :) Rather like the pasting of a URL on the BBS so that it shows as, for example, My Post

8. 2014/07/26
    BirdieBob

Correct.

9. 2014/07/26
    retiredlearner

Thanks for the lesson BirdieBob, it works for me. I have never used that method before but when I followed your instruction it did as it was supposed to.

I sent an email to myself with text (a joke). I opened my Browser and opened a Tab (url) and then copied that and then went back to my email and clicked on a spot in the text.
    I clicked on Insert > Link > and put Here as the name > pasted the url in the link box > OK and there it was in the email.
    I sent the email and opened it and clicked on the Here and it opened the Browser at the web site.
    No problems. Neil.

10. 2014/07/26
    BirdieBob

Neil:

Thanks for the feedback. If it works for you then it isn't a TB 31.0 bug -- you are using 31, right?

If it's an issue on my machine and not with TB, I'm at a loss to explain it or try to correct it. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears! I use Insert> Link quite often and it's a pain not to have it available.

Last edited: 2014/07/26
  11. 2014/07/27
    retiredlearner

Yes BirdieBob, definitely TB v31.0 and works every time.Neil.

12. 2014/07/27
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Birdie Bob,

I was using Tbird 24 and decided to move to v 31 while I was reading through your thread. After I opened my 31 install, I had/have exactly the same problem you described in your first post. I can't insert a link using TBird's "Insert" tool as I was able to do in 24. I looked on the Mozilla site but couldn't find anything that provided any close answers. I did find a place to send feedback and left my e-mail address. If I get anything from them, I will post it here.

In the meantime, here is a link https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox?esab=a&s=roll+back+to+a+previous+version&r=0&as=s that will let one roll back to a previous version - in the face of Mozilla's dire warnings of the unexpected consequences that can result from not using their most up to date version. Although I couldn't tell for sure, I wonder if 31 might be a BETA test version or something like that?

13. 2014/07/27
    BirdieBob

Virginia:

Thanks for the input. I also posted the issue on the MozilliaZine forum here:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2855933.

sfhowes confirmed the same behavior that you and I experienced. I've reported it as a bug, possibly only impacting Windows 7 since others do not run into the issue.

He also gave me a workaround that overcomes the problem. Copy the URL, left click in the Link Location bar and then use CTRl-V to paste the URL in. Works like a charm and avoids the issue until they deal with the bug.

14. 2014/07/27
    bkzoner

bkzoner Inactive

Possible workaround/resolution...

I'd hoped I could insert a screen shot to assist in my reply here, but I haven't yet discovered how to do that here. So I'll try to explain in writing.

• In the Link Location window, type your Link Text, and then type anything (even a single character) into the Link Location field.
    • Then, click on the Advanced Edit button in that same window.
    • In the Advanced Property Editor window that opens, go to the HTML Attributes tab.
    • Click the new link you just created (it will show what you typed into the Link Location field before), and from there, you should be able to paste the URL that you want to link to into the Value field below.
    • Click OK twice, and you should have a working link in your email!

15. 2014/07/27
    retiredlearner

Hi BirdieBob, Nice to know you've established a work around. I'm using W8.1 and that may be the difference. Neil.

Robert, it's not Beta - TB 31.0 is the latest update. Beta Release is up around V33.0 Cheers Neil.

16. 2014/07/27
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Thanks for the input Neil. I tried Birdiebob's work around and it works fine.

17. 2014/07/28
    BirdieBob

Here and in the linked post on MozillaZine, we've learned that Insert>Link in TB31 works as intended on some operating systems but (so far) not on at least Win 7, Win XP or Win NT 5.1. So we have a bug and it has been reported.

In the interim, the Ctrl-V option described works fine and enables Insert>Link to be utilized.

I'm going to mark this thread as Resolved since we have a work-around and there's nothing else to do at this point other than to wait until the bug is (hopefully) resolved in a future update.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and input.

18. 2014/08/07
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

For anyone having problems with TB 31.0, there's also an update to TB 24.6.0 (24.7.0). As one of the moderators of the Mozillazine TB Support Forum explained it to me ...
    "Major releases (which include new functionality) now occur once a year, using the old Extended support release (ESR) schedule. Point releases occur every 6 weeks, and only include bug and security/stability fixes. 24.7.0 is a point release and 31.0 is a major release. "​

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/24.7.0/win32/en-US/Thunderbird Setup 24.7.0.exe has the 24.7.0 setup program for windows. It just added several security fixes to 24.6.0.

I didn't like 31.0 because it turned my Menu Bar blue, obscuring several of the buttons I've placed there. Installing 24.7.0 retained the look I had before.

Last edited: 2014/08/07