1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Inkjet printer maintenance

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by StrahdOmega, 2016/10/04.

1. 2016/10/04
    StrahdOmega

StrahdOmega Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I have an inkjet printer that I still really like even though it is kind of old (Lexmark X4550) and the only trouble it gives me is with the paper feeder. I get paper jams and "please load paper" errors and also it sometimes feeds multiple pages at one time. I have heard of maintenance kits before and never used one but now that I am looking for one I cannot find one. Is there a way to fix this issue without having to buy a new printer?

Thank you

2. 2016/10/04
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Probably not. Note when new nearly 10 years ago, it had a MSRP of $129.99. That was a budget price back then so for sure, you already got your money's worth.

There are dozens if not hundreds of mechanical/moving parts in a printer. Some are metal, some plastic, some rubber - all subject to wear. The best you might be able to do is disassemble it enough to expose the paper path and blast out all the paper dust and house dust that has accumulated over the years with compressed air. You might then be able to apply a very small dab of machine oil on some of the parts (as long as the oil does not come into contact with the paper). But even this is tricky as the oil will immediately start to attract more paper dust. And there are rubber rejuvenators that might help the rubber parts to grab and move the sheets through the printer smoothly and one at a time. But I note these are all really temporary solutions. The worn parts cannot be unworn.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/10/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Stop wasting time & money and get a new printer. That's the only advice I can give.

5. 2016/10/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Good advice! There are many newer higher spec - higher performing Multi-Function Printers available these days and printers are in the category of throw away units when they give trouble. A brand new "clearance" HP 3630 MFP, A4, 20ppmBlack 16ppm Colour, Wireless was offered for $37.34 at a local comp supplier with free delivery!!! "Clearance" is a unit that was ordered wrongly, returned unopened and has 12 month warranty. Why play around with a worn out unit? ;) Service charges on average for printers here in NZ are $85.00 and upwards. :eek:

6. 2016/10/05
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Plus you get the support for latest OS (win 10).

Manufacturers don't update the drivers of legacy products, leaving the users stranded.