1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved IE8 fails to initialize on Win XP

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by fdamp, 2014/08/29.

1. 2014/08/29
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yes, I know I'm still working in the digital dark ages, but, right now, I can't afford a new computer. My present box is so marginal in the "Can I upgrade to Windows 7" questionnaire that I decided to stick with the old clunker for a few more months.

Today, I discovered that IE8 seems to have been killed off. I get the initialization page, which stays blank and the listing in Task manager shows the program with a single listing and a memory usage just under 14 MB. It doesn't get any further in its initialization. Normally, a second line appears in Task Manager and the primary memory usage is up around 350 MB.

Does anyone know if IE8 is officially dead?

2. 2014/08/29
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi fdamp. Can you start IE8 with no add-ons and see if it starts up successfully? To start IE8 with no add-ons click Start< All Programs< Accessories< System Tools< Internet Explorer (No add-ons)

If that doesn't work then try resetting Internet Explorer settings, How to reset Internet Explorer settings.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/30
    fdamp

Evan:

Even Microsoft Fixit, accessed through the link you gave above, didn't solve the problem. Most annoying is the inability to close the non-functional IE window with the red "X" in the corner. Only a re-boot or deleting it from task Manager will shut it off.

It's hanging up quite early in its start sequence, as it only puts one line in Task Manager instead of the usual two, and it's only showing about 2.5 MB instead of the usual 250 MB or more of memory usage. Chrome, from which I'm accessing windowsbbs, is using 25 MB or so.

I don't think I'll get any help from Microsoft, as I'm so far out of date from current standards (Win XP and IE8).

Do you know if it's possible to pick out the IE routines from the WinXP install disk and just re-install IE?

5. 2014/08/30
    Evan Omo

You can try reinstalling IE8 using this link and see if that restores your browsers functionality, Internet Explorer 8.0.

6. 2014/08/30
    fdamp

Unfortunately, Evan, installing a new copy of the program didn't help. It hangs up at the point where I would expect it to call up the home page, with about 2.5 MB on a single entry line in Task Manager.

Maybe I'll just use Chrome from now on.

7. 2014/08/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Frank did you uninstall IE8 first or just install over the top?
    If your IE8 is corrupt, it would be better to remove it before trying to install a new copy. Neil.

8. 2014/09/01
    fdamp

Neil:

Yes, I uninstalled it as best I could. The MS program reckoned it couldn't be uninstalled, but I went into Task Manager and removed it. The "Add/remove" screen still showed IE8 was listed, but there was no memory usage.

I downloaded a new copy, and Task Manager now shows 2.8 MB in just a single line entry. When it was working, it twp entries and was almost 500 MB. In contrast, Google Chrome is working fine, has two line entries and is using about 120 MB.

I don't want to do a full Win XP repair, as it wipes out a lot of data. Is it possible to single out the IE8 part of that program and run it from the disk?

IE8 still hangs up with a blank screen (except for the header) and has no text in the "go to" identifier line. I put in the identifier for Comcast, but got no response. I still can't close the window with the red "X" button in the top RH corner. The only was to get rid of it is through task Manager.

Last edited: 2014/09/01
  9. 2014/09/01
    Evan Omo

Have you tried booting the computer into Safe Mode with Networking and seeing if IE8 works there?

If IE8 is still not working properly then lets try this method to repair your system:

1. Download the portable version of Windows Repair (All In One) from here, Windows Repair (All In One). (Make sure you have your computer running in a clean boot state BEFORE running repairs. If you need assistance with performing a clean boot then follow the instructions here, How to perform a clean boot in Windows)

2. Download the portable zipped folder to your desktop.

3. Extract the contents of the zipped folder, and then double click on the Repair_Windows.exe file to run the program.

4. After the program opens, click on the Step 3 tab and click the Do It button to have the program run Check Disk on the file system. Screenshot.

5. After the computer finishes running Check Disk, start the program again and proceed to Step 4.

6. Click on the Step 4 tab and click on the Do It button to allow the program to run the System File Checker to find and fix any corrupt Windows files. Screenshot.

7. After SFC finishes, proceed to the Step 5 tab.

8. On the Step 5 tab go ahead and create a new system restore point before starting the repair by clicking on the Create button under the System Restore area. Screenshot.

9. Once that is done click on the Start Repairs tab.

10. On the Start Repairs tab click on the Start button and select Run when prompted. Screenshot.

11. The Windows Repairs window will open. Now ensure that ONLY the checkboxes in the program are checked as indicated below:

Reset Registry Permissions
    Reset File Permissions
    Reset Service Permissions
    Register System Files
    Repair WMI
    Repair Windows Firewall
    Repair Internet Explorer
    Repair MDAV/MS Jet
    Repair Hosts Files
    Remove Policies Set By Infections
    Repair Start Menu Icons Removed by Infections
    Repair Icons
    Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
    Remove Temp Files
    Repair Proxy Settings
    Repair Windows Updates
    Set Windows Services to Default Startup
    Restore Important Windows Services
    Repair MSI (Windows Installer)

12. Then when those checkboxes are selected, click on the checkbox that says Restart System when Finished.

13. Now click on the Start button to start the repair process.

14. The process could take some time so please be patient.

15. After the repair process finishes, the computer will be rebooted.

16. See if there is any difference after performing the above steps.

10. 2014/09/03
    fdamp

Evan:

I appreciate all the help and support I'm getting from you and Neil. I'm beginning to wonder whether restoring IE8 is worth the grief! I'm planning on getting a Win 8.1 laptop later in the year and demoting my old desktop to just running Quicken and photo processing without Internet access.

I'm still looking into the Repair Process you outlined in your last post. The document I get with the "Clean Boot" instructions only applies to Windows systems beyond XP. Is there an XP version out there somewhere?

I just tried to download the Repair program from Tweaking and it doesn't download. Any idea why?

Last edited: 2014/09/03
  11. 2014/09/03
    Evan Omo

Here you go, How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state.

Well there are multiple links to download the portable version. If one of them doesn't work then try another link.

12. 2014/09/04
    fdamp

After about 10 hours of faffing about with this POS, I've decided to eliminate as much of it as possible and install Firefox or Safari as my alternative browser to Chrome. DW will just have to learn to live without "Infinite Crosswords" (an MSN game only accessible through IE). I need an alternate because Chrome won't allow the account I have in IE as a secondary account.

When I upgrade my system to a Win 8.1 laptop later this year, I might reconsider the later version of IE.

Any recommendations on the two alternate browsers above?

13. 2014/09/04
    Evan Omo

14. 2014/09/05
    fdamp

I'll definitely pick up Firefox as a replacement for IE8. I guess that I'll become an IE user again when I get a new computer later in the fall. I can't remove the inoperative version currently resident, which does present a minor problem.

All the programs that present updates on a regular basis seem to automatically select IE as the conduit for the update, even though its not functional. They all give up after a while, and I don't get the updates.

If IE is resident but not functional, how does one get the message to these updates to pick a different browser?

15. 2014/09/05
    Evan Omo

See that's the problem on Windows XP. Microsoft Update only works on IE because IE supports ActiveX controls while other 3rd party browsers don't.

At this point you can either try to get IE8 working either by continuing to follow the steps to repair IE8 using the Windows Repair tool, or you can perform a repair install of Windows XP using your Windows XP CD.

If you'd rather forget about trying to get IE8 working then you can try using this alternative to Windows Update but I have no experience with using it, Update Your Windows Using Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Any Other Web Browser.

16. 2014/09/05
    fdamp

Evan:

When I try to load Firefox, it gets part way through and then throws up a message that says "your download was interrupted. Click OK to continue ". When I click OK, it goes to IE, which is dead!

I think my replacement computer just moved up in the calendar - maybe tomorrow!

My plan is to transfer all internet-related activity to the new box, remove everything from my current desktop box except my photo collection, programs for working with it and Quicken. All contact with the Internet will be removed, with a complete XP reload if needed.

A new laptop with Win 8.1 will become my on-line device. I expect a massive learning curve, since I upgraded to XP from Win 3.1! I have the advantage of experience, since I've also worked with ALGOL (in 1966), Fortran, Singer Link assembly language and Honeywell DDP 124 and 324 assembly language, all in flight simulator applications.

Last edited: 2014/09/05
  17. 2014/09/06
    Evan Omo

Understood.

You can have a read of this thread, can't download - keeps saying it is interrupted and see if the solutions there help at all.

Give Safe Mode with Networking a shot and try downloading the plugin again. Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed?

18. 2014/09/08
    fdamp

I tried the full "Microsoft Repair" again this afternoon and after a couple of hours dinking around, IE is still dead.

For the time being, I'm just going to rely on Chrome as my browser. I was planning a new computer purchase in November or so, buying a fairly powerful lap-top (though it will probably be on my desk most of the time).

I plan to relegate my tower system to a non-Internet device, using it for photo processing and an off-line check-book program. My schedule for the updated device has moved to a more urgent timescale, maybe within the next month.

19. 2014/09/08
    Evan Omo

Alright fair enough. But have you tried the method of using Firefox to get access to Windows Updates?

20. 2014/09/09
    fdamp

Evan:

I ran a clean boot, then managed to download the "Tweaker" repair tool. I've run it twice. IE does work when in safe mode, but when I revert to regular mode it fails the same as it did before.

I can't get Firefox to download - it keeps hanging up.

Time to go computer shopping!

21. 2014/09/09
    Evan Omo

Well let me ask you this then. Do you want to continue troubleshooting this issue further are do you just want to call it a day and get a new machine?