1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

IE Will Not Install

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by triplejjjay, 2003/01/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/01/09
    triplejjjay

triplejjjay Inactive Thread Starter

I have an IBM Aptiva running Windows 95, which previously had IE 3.02 installed.I was using Netscape as my browser, and for some reason, IE stopped functioning somewhere along the line. Was not concerned at the time since not using. Lately though, I installed a burner that came with EZ CD Creator software, that requires IE before it will install, as well as some other software that I have been unable to install due to IE requirements. Ver. 4.0 of IE is included with EZ CD, but it will not load - get error message. I uninstalled inoperable IE 3.02, thinking this might help - still no luck. I tried installing another version of IE from Microsoft Picture It! cd (version 4. something), and it would not install either. I found an old version of IE 3.02, and tried reinstalling it. It did install but was inoperable - wouldn't open up! I have tried downloading IE 5.01 and 5.5 from Microsoft website - the executable installation file downloads, but when I open this, and try to download the rest of the IE program, I get an error message that I am not connected to the Internet! finally I uninstalled IE 3.02 again, and then found a program called IEradicator, (through this site). I ran this, and am not sure what it did, as it kind of ******* my desktop up and did not really go through a search process or anything, but now my computer runs incredibly faster, and I now have to access the Internet manually through dial-up networking. Ultimately though, this still did not work, as IE 'any version', will not install off a cd or Microsoft download site. I am out of ideas, and need help please!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

2. 2003/01/09
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

What is the error message you get when you attempt to install off of a CD?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/01/09
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Never mind. markp62 beat me to the question. Too slow on the draw I guess. :)

Last edited: 2003/01/09
  5. 2003/01/09
    triplejjjay

Error Message

Thanks guys,

When I try to install EZ CD Creator, it begins the install procedure, and indicates it is checking for installed components. Then it indicates that I do not have the correct version of IE installed, and asks if I want to update. I proceed with this, and only a few seconds into the IE installation, the following comes up:

WINDOWS UPDATE-INTERNET EXPLORER & INTERNET TOOLS
    Set-up was unable to install all the components, Please close all applications and try running set-up again.

I the press O.K. and this next window comes up:

SEVERE
    Internet Explorer 4.0 required.

When trying to install, I have closed all programs except systray and explorer.

I hope this sheds some light - thanks.

Steve.

6. 2003/01/09
    markp62

You need to connect to the internet to do this. It seems the CD has only the file needed to start this. It will then download the files needed.
    When you do, choose the custom install, the window will change, click on Advanced. Then choose the option to download and run setup later. This way you will have the full install files for later on in case you need to run it again. This may take awhile to download.
    I would go to the page here and get IE 5.5 SP2, this is the highest version you can get for 95.

7. 2003/01/09
    triplejjjay

RE: Connect to Internet

markp62,

Per my original post, I was connected to the Internet when I tried completing the IE 5.01 or 5.5 downloads from the Microsoft download centre, and I still got the error message saying I needed to be connected to the Internet, or something along that line. I have not tried loading IE from the EZ CD Creator cd while being connected to the Internet, but cannot see why it would work if I can't get this to finish from the Microsoft site per above.

Does this make sense?

Steve.

8. 2003/01/09
    markp62

9. 2003/01/09
    triplejjjay

Answers

I do not have a fire wall, am not using AOL, do not know what Winsock is, and am already running Windows 95b.

Please do not give up!!

Steve

Last edited: 2003/01/09
  10. 2003/01/09
    markp62

A Winsock has to do with the internet connection.
    You are accessing the internet, but the ie5setup.exe file is not finding the connection or you are not allowing it to continue. Did you get the 1.4 upgrade and install it?

11. 2003/01/09
    triplejjjay

Upgrade?

Hi markp62,

I'm sorry, the 1.4 upgrade for what?

Please reply,

Steve.

12. 2003/01/10
    markp62

Go to my previous post and go to the link with the words support.microsoft.com and get the download for 95.

13. 2003/01/10
    triplejjjay

DUN 1.4 Upgrade

Hi markp62,

O.K. this looks promising! I will download this tonight at home, apply it and see what happens. Maybe this will correct the state where my Internet connection is not being recognized when trying to finish the IE download. I will let you know.

Thanks for now,

Steve.

14. 2003/01/10
    triplejjjay

DUN Upgrade

O.K., the dial-up networking 1.4 upgrade installation did not correct the problem. I am still not able to begin installation of IE either from Microsoft, or from cd, as it is not recognizing that I am already connected to the Internet.

markp62, (or anyone else?), do you have any other ideas?

Please help,

Steve.

15. 2003/01/10
    markp62

Just for grins, while connected to the internet, open a dos window and type in this command:

ping 64.246.42.33 <enter>

Post back what happens. What this is doing is sending 4 packets to this website and this website will send 4 back. Like knocking on a door, and someone knocks back when heard.

16. 2003/01/10
    triplejjjay

RE: Ping

Hi markp62,

This worked just as you said it should - 4 packets sent and 4 received, and the round trip times were noted.

Does this help?

Thanks,

Steve

17. 2003/01/10
    Alice

Alice Banned

I found this in the IE5.5sp2 readme in case it helps.
    Also found this article:

Problems Installing Internet Explorer with GetRight Installed [Q221896]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q221/8/96.asp

18. 2003/01/10
    markp62

The successful ping is a good sign.
    Alice has a good point, this did not occur to me as I use Download Accelerator, and it does not intercept it. Do you have either of those programs installed? Particulary the Netscape Smart Download program, as you posted having used Netscape.

19. 2003/01/10
    triplejjjay

I do have Netscape Smart Download installed, but as far as I can see it is disabled, because I had seen this same warning / message somewhere as well. Smart Download does not open up when I download anything, I just get a Windows 'window' named 'Save As', or something along that line. Is there something else I can check in Netscape Smart Download, to see it's status or settings? The error message Alice quoted is exactly what I am getting.

Please reply,

Thanks, Steve.

20. 2003/01/10
    Alice

Alice Banned

Here is more on that Netscape Smart Download program (not to be confused with NS Communicator's SmartUpdate feature)

http://wp.netscape.com/computing/download/smartdownload/ib/about.html

24. How can I disable SmartDownload?

To disable SmartDownload, click the Windows Start menu, select programs, Netscape SmartDownload and Disable.

25. How can I uninstall SmartDownload?

To uninstall SmartDownload, use the Windows Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs option. The change will take effect after you restart your browser.

21. 2003/01/10
    triplejjjay

Hi Alice,

I remember you from the IBM community help site, and I just happened to be on your own site seeing if I could find anything there - thanks for jumping in!

It is NS SmartDownload that I have, and the process you describe is how I have disabled it. Also, I just checked, and I do have a folder named NetZip, but all it contains is a bunch of bitmap images, and one .ini file. Also I have WinZip loaded, I think it is a trial version I downloaded a couple of months ago - could this cause the same problem?

Please advise, Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.