1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved IE 11 Java and Flash not working.

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by LarryB, 2014/11/23.

1. 2014/11/23
    LarryB

LarryB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I went to check up on my father-in-law's new-ish Windows 7 Dell computer and IE does not recognize that Java and Flash are both installed and up to date. The add-ons are there/enabled and the Java Script box in Internet Options/Security/Custom Level is checked. I discovered this issue when trying to run a speedtest and neither the Java or Flash versions would run... with both saying that neither programs were installed. Don't know what else to do. Thanks for the assist.

Last edited: 2014/11/23
  2. 2014/11/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If Java is installed, it should be disabled for security reasons. I haven't had it on any of my PC's for a couple of years and never had a problem with any web pages.

I do a speed test quite often and never have it ask me for Java.

Below are a couple of sites that don't require Java.
    http://www.speedtest.net/

https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/23
    LarryB

Speedtest.net is one of the ones that would not run, dslreports, too.

I understand that Java vs Java Scripts are two different things. Does that play into this?

5. 2014/11/24
    MrBill

Like I said. I ran on Speedtest.net and no problems. I DO NOT have Java installed on any of my PC's and haven't had for a couple of years.
    The dslreports wants you to download it and WOT doesn't not give it a great rating. That may be because not enough people have rated it. Did you try any others?
    Java vs Java Scripts are two different things and I would not think that it would come into play.

6. 2014/11/24
    LarryB

I'll try to get back over to his place to find out more. I will try speedtest.net again to try to glean more details on its refusal to run. What is WOT? Dslreports has been around for years.

7. 2014/11/24
    MrBill

8. 2014/11/30
    LarryB

I finally got back to try Speedtest again and it did say that neither Flash or JavaScript were installed. I did another search on Google and found one entry that said that there is an option for Active X Filtering and it could be the culprit. It was! So, now I ran it four times one right after the other and got four wildly different readings.

Downloads ranged from 640 to 1600. Is that normal? I don't know anything about the wireless system where he lives.

9. 2014/11/30
    MrBill

Wired no. Should not be that much variation. Is he on DSL, Cable or Sat.?

10. 2014/11/30
    LarryB

Wireless. I don't know what type of service they have but I will try to find out. I think that Speedtest said it was from Century Link.

Last edited: 2014/11/30
  11. 2014/11/30
    MrBill

This is the Centurylink Speed test page. http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/speedtest-ctl2.html

There has to be something that is wired to a router to get wireless. What I meant was this wired or wireless download speeds. If he is using Century Link, he is on DSL. The variation that you show is possible with a noisy line or no filters in place like they should be. The phones will have filters on them and the DSL DOES NOT have a filter. Some techs will wire a special Network Interface Device (NID) on the outside of the house and you will see no filters on the phones in the house. The special NID has the filter built into it. The DSL is on one side of the NID and the phones are on the other side. This makes the DSL on a dedicated pair of wires to the Modem or Modem/Router which ever it is.

12. 2014/12/01
    LarryB

This is in a retirement hotel.

13. 2014/12/01
    MrBill

Ok. They are sharing a connection with other people. The download speed that you are getting would depend on how many others were on the net at the same time and what they were doing also. We don't know what speed that they are paying for either.
    I have Century Link and the link that I gave you has worked for me for years and I don't have JAVA installed on any of my PC's and haven't had for years.

14. 2014/12/04
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The majority of speed test sites use Adobe Flash.

Java and javascript are two separate things, though java applications can incorporate javascript in them.

Some speed test sites are now using HTML5, the newest HTML protocol, which has built in support for video, audio and other functions used by speed tests. These may also use javascript for certain aspects of the test.

Online speed tests are generally not too accurate, but they are useful for testing the current quality of one's connection when comparing test results from different times of day or days.

The reason accuracy falls short is because you are paying for a certain bandwidth ONLY on your ISP's network. For example, to get to this Web page, your request is sent over your ISP's network to other multiple networks and then to this page, and this page is sent back to you over other networks and then your ISP network. Your ISP has no control over the bandwidth of other networks. Thus, if another network is slower than your ISP network, then the fastest speed you can get is that of the slowest network in the chain.