1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

I love Windows 7, just need to get sound

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Chris, 2009/01/19.

1. 2009/01/19
    Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I got 7 the day after it came out. I love it!!

I can't get sound to work. I installed the Drivers, windows can't see them. I've tried everything I can think of, I can't get sound.

I know, I know, it's beta software. I can understand why something wouldn't work, but to have this OS and can't get sound is frustrating.

I got to have sound on this laptop. If I can't get it figured out, I'll have to install another OS.

2. 2009/01/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Did you try Vista drivers?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/01/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

What's your sound hardware?

Arie,
  5. 2009/01/20
    Chris

I tried Vista.

Got it to work last night. Gargled sound that sounds slow tho. I wanted sound really bad because I use my laptop a lot for internet radio.

When I go to websites to listen to radio, it says I need WMP 11. If it try to download it, windows says I can't because the one I have is newer then 11.

Chris.

6. 2009/01/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Windows 7 has Windows Media Player 12, hence the message you are seeing. Clearly as WIn 7 is still in beta the radio station software probably does not recognise that you have WMP 12.

I rather get the impression that you have installed this beta on a mission critical computer - the one you use daily or maybe your only one? That's risky to say the least :) A dual boot scenario would be the better solution if another PC is not available for testing/evaluation purposes.

7. 2009/01/20
    Chris

No, I do have a Desktop as my Main Computer. I heard on a tech show my XP could be used on a Desktop, and one, personal Laptop. I read where the XP EULA would not allow this. I can't load XP back.

Not wanting to buy another OS for an older Laptop, I installed 7. Tried 4 Distros of Linux, no internet on all 4. Battery charge is only recognized on 1 distro, but with 3 days of fooling around trying to get the internet to work, it's not an option.

I do have an old 98 Disc, but cringe thinking of using that. I also have 2 Vista Discs, but with a 2.8GHz, 640GB of RAM, laptop, not sure it will run (very good).

Thanks for replying.

Chris.

Last edited: 2009/01/20
  8. 2009/01/20
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

Hi Chris...Did you try Ubuntu Linux version 8.10? I installed it on a Dell Latitude D610 and all works including Wired and Wireless (although it takes a few tries before it connects).

jephree likes this.
  9. 2009/01/21
    Chris

Yes, tried Ubuntu 8.10. I went to the forums and they said: "It is a bug in 8.10" (mass people had 8.04.1 when they updated to 8.10 connection didn't work). I tried 8.04.1 and it didn't work ether.

I had the big problem people have where a full battery comes up 0% in ubuntu.

The only Linux distro that recognized my battery was openSUSE 11.1. Nice to know I can use a laptop without a plug in, but no internet?

Booted back to windows, no problem. Internet works!

Just a few years a go, Linux Forums used to be real helpful. Now, no answers or help.

Thank you for reply's,

Chris.

10. 2009/01/21
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

Hi Chris,
    did you manage to get an internet connection on 7? if so the drivers for your soundcard should download, I am running 7 on a desktop admittedly and I am running XP Home on my second drive, but once I installed the correct drivers for my Wlan it all works (I had to download the vista drivers which aren't on the installation disk), anyway I hope it all goes well in the end.
    As for linux, try Mandriva.
    Regards Jac

11. 2009/01/21
    Chris

Thanks for the replies. Windows internet works fine. Never had any problems connecting in 15 years with Windows. Only Linux.

I used Mandriva back before they got sued and had to change the name. From what I can remember, it worked very good. I may give it a try.

I remember one problem with Linux, even if it's up and running good. Streaming Radio Stations. When you go to a station, of course, it doesn't work. When you use that player to workaround, you have to put in a string. It's long, so you cut and paste. Well, you guessed it, in Linux, it doesn't work. To long to remember, so you have to go get a pen, paper, come back and write it down, enter it. Each station.

Thank you for replying,
    Chris.

Last edited: 2009/01/21
  12. 2009/01/21
    jdoty

jdoty Inactive

Chris,
    I also have a problem with no sound. I have a Creative sound card, using xp pro, running windows 7 in Vurtual PC. When I try to install the Creative vista drivers, the Creative exe file says the OS is not Vista and terminates. Arg!

13. 2009/01/21
    Chris

Go to Start, Update Windows. MS put out new drivers. Even if it's set to automatically update, it should still have them waiting for you (like mine was).

Chris.

14. 2009/01/21
    jeff win team

jeff win team Inactive

Hey Chris-
    My name is Jeff and I work with the Windows Outreach Team. I searched around Microsoft’s TechNet site for threads about people who are having sound problems with Windows 7 as well. Here is a list of those threads. Because I do not know what drivers you have tried or what sound hardware you are using, I cannot guide you to any more specific threads, but these are worth glancing at. Good luck!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com....ForumID(3a9dfd27-86e3-49bb-9722-56102b287ff4)

Jeff
    Windows Outreach Team

15. 2009/01/21
    Chris

Thanks Jeff. Another problem is I want sound to listen to internet radio. No site yet accepts WMP in 7. They all say I need WMP 11. Windows will not let me install it because it's older then what I have.

Why didn't they make it backwards compatible?

I have ALi M5451 PCI Controller Audio rev 2.

Thank you for replying,
    Chris.

Last edited: 2009/01/21
  16. 2009/01/21
    Chris

I found that when I had my linux CD booted. Maybe that # is in linux?

17. 2009/01/22
    Arie

You don't have a creative sound card in your Virtual PC (assuming you mean Microsoft's Virtual PC). The driver Microsoft provides in VPC 2007 isn't compatible with Windows 7.

18. 2009/01/22
    jeff win team

jeff win team Inactive

Hello again Chris-
    Sorry but I cannot give you an answer as to why MS did not make WMP backwards compatible. Maybe an MSFT MVP can help you with this. Arie, any ideas? I also looked into your internet radio issue on the TechNet forum and on a few other forums but no luck. I suggest you make a post on the TechNet forum for this issue and see if anyone else has come across a solution.

Jeff
    Windows Outreach Team

19. 2009/01/22
    jdoty

jdoty Inactive

Ari,
    You are right, I am using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1.
    Not sure about what you said about VPC not having a compatible sound driver , but here's what I did. I installed Virtual Machine Additions, rebooted Windows 7, and presto I had sound! Now, I'm working on the video problem. I hear that Nvidia has some beta drivers which are compatible with Windows 7. My XP Pro system has 2 EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS cards linked with SLI. I doubt I will be able to use the SLI with the drivers, but you never know! Thanks for the information.

20. 2009/01/23
    Arie

The issue is not with Microsoft nor WMP. The problem is caused by the (software) scripts on those web sites that are set to detect your media player. They have the version numbers hard-coded in them, so unless someone goes in & enters the code for WMP11, the site wouldn't know what to do.

WMP11 needs to identify itself as such, so web sites might take advantage of extra features (if there are any). I'm sure its fully compatible with WMP10.

The same thing will happen if you log into your on line banking account with a beta browser (in this case IE8). The detection will most likely suggest that you upgrade to the "latest" browser. It is because the software isn't coded to identify IE8 yet.

Hope this explains the issue.

21. 2009/01/23
    Arie

Yes, I had read about adding VM Additions, just hadn't time to test it myself yet. Glad you got it to work that way.