1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

I lost a .doc I saved in Windows mail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by D Budnick, 2007/11/06.

1. 2007/11/06
    D Budnick

D Budnick Inactive Thread Starter

I think others have posted variations of this problem but I haven't seen an answer (if there is one).

I opened a .doc in Windows Mail and then rather than save it to my documents via the Word 2007 menu I edited it all day and repeatedly saved it via the floppy disc icon up top.

I closed the .doc and much to my chagrin when I opened my version of Word 2007 there was no evidence of the file. I also can't find it as a .tmp or a .wbk or anything like that on my hard drive. I assume it's somewhere as some form of a Windows Mail temp file because I kept hitting that icon, saving as I went along, so I am holding out hope that it must be somewhere on my computer.

Can someone help me find my day's work?

thanks,
    Dean

2. 2007/11/06
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

The easiest way to find it is open it through Windows Mail again. The document will open in Word.

Then go to File>Save As. That will open the Save window to a location buried quite a few levels deep. On mine it's "C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files."

Instead of saving it there, use the Save window to navigate to the folder where you want to keep it, name it what you want and save it again. The original will stay in the "buried" location until you delete it from Windows Mail.

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/11/06
    D Budnick

When I try Save As, it doesn't take me that deep.

When I just enter that line (with my name), I go to the temp folder but I can't seem to find any .docs in there. I remmber that in XP it was real easy, there were a ton of .docs that would accumulate in there but I all can see there are cookies but I have downloaded a ton of .docs over the past month so they must be in there somewhere.

Do you have any additional suggestions?

5. 2007/11/07
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Can you open it within Windows Mail? That is, is the message with the attachment still there?

If so, just open the attachment, go to File>Save As, navigate to where you want to save the document and save it.

Miz,
  6. 2007/11/07
    D Budnick

I believe I didn't think I made myself clear. I opened the document and saved it a number of times over the course of the day. However when I open my Word 2007 it has no record of it nor can be it be found with a search of the system. I want to find that version of the document.

Based on my experience with XP and an older version of Word, I believe that it is hidden in some Temporary Inernet folder but I cannot seem to find it (it's not in the path you suggested).

Frankly I can't find any Word documents that the program (Windows Mail) prompts me to save after I open them.

I believe they are on my hard drive, I'm just not sure where...

7. 2007/11/07
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

If you go to the original Email that had the doc, is it still there? Is it the updated version? If so, right click on it and "Save As" to a location like your desktop.

8. 2007/11/07
    uhaligani

uhaligani Inactive

The default "save" for 2007 is users/username and then the root of "documents ". Have a look there.

9. 2007/11/07
    D Budnick

No, it's not going there.

I just experienced 90 minutes of first level "help" from Microsoft support and they are punting to level 2.

I can show them (when they take over my computer via Easy Assist) how these attached documents appear to save but they are not going to My Documents.

I am sure they are migrating to some internet related folder.

In XP if I saved an attachment without directing it to My Docs, the .doc would end up saved in some weird randomly-named folder like X3FG47 which I could only find again by opening another fresh document that hadn't been saved to My Documents and so was directed to this weird folder.

However in Vista it won't show me that weird folder when I try to do the same thing (as it's organized differently or maybe there is some protection/secutiry issue which I have seen on a thread here).

I am pretty confident based on XP that these docs are being saved, it's just somewhere hidden...

Back when I

10. 2007/11/07
    uhaligani

uhaligani Inactive

Plan B! Why dont you open a new document, give it a really stupid unique name, save it and then search for it?

11. 2007/11/07
    Steve R Jones

How did this little test go?

12. 2007/11/07
    D Budnick

It doesn't work because as soon as I rename the file via Save As, it is sending it towards the directories that I can already see (and where I've already searched for my other documents).

I already did a similar test with the Microsoft support guy watching via Easy Assist where I opened a new doc, saved the attachment (once via the little floppy icon up top and in a second test by making a small change to the doc and then closing it, at which point the program asked me if I want to save it) and we couldn't find the document.

Sigh.

What I need to do is pull out and reboot my old computer so I can see exactly which path it used to use in thsi instance (because at least that will help me articulate where I think it is).

13. 2007/11/07
    Steve R Jones

I still don't understand.
    You open an email with an attachment - you right click on the attachment and SAVE AS and point it to the desktop. Once done you can't find it on the desktop. Is that correct?

14. 2007/11/07
    D Budnick

Yes but my problem is not saving a .doc from an attachment. My problem is finding a .doc that I opened from an attachment, edited for 6 hours and then closed (all the while I was told that Word was saving my document).

Okay, I just booted up my old XP. When I would open .docs in the mail program there without saving them to My Docs, they could be found via the following path

My name
    -Local Settings
    -Temporary Internet Files
    -OLKA2

This OKLA2 file acquired all the .docs that I opened, worked on and saved but was failed to save to My Docs (my job requires to me work on many documents each day so this happened on a few occasions). In addition, when they were stored there, they could not be located by a standard search of my computer (I just double-checked to confirm). I could only find them by opening another attachment and attempting to save (and I would be shown the path listed above but I am not shown this path in a similar situation via Vista).

I believe they must be on this Vista computer, I just don't know where (as when I try to save without saving to My Docs, Vista is not showing me the default path...)

15. 2007/11/07
    Steve R Jones

And when you go back to the original email and open that same attachment are any of the changes you made still there?

16. 2007/11/07
    D Budnick

Alas, no.

If you have any suggestions as to how I can find the folder I suggested in my prior post while working in Vista, please let me know.

17. 2007/11/07
    D Budnick

Yes, I can do that. When I do that all works well.

My problem arises when I FAIL to do that, open the document and work on it without saving to the desktop or to My Docs (as I did yesterday). I want to find the document that I opened and edited for 6 hours yesterday, which I know is on the system somewhere.

Again in the past (on XP) that file could be found in the folder that is an extension of Temporary Internet Files. I want to locate that folder on my current hard drive as I am confident that the .doc is there.

18. 2007/11/08
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

My documents, when opened from an email attachment will open Read-Only (Office 2007).

Which would bring up the Save-As dialog box, which defaults to Documents by default.

If it somehow saved to your TIF folder, it could have been deleted when TIF ran out of space (just guessing here).

You hopefully learned the lesson: You first save an attachment to your hard drive, then you open/edit that copy.

19. 2007/11/08
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

So do a search for *.doc using Vista's search. It will find all your *.doc files. Sort on date, and it'll be easy to spot the one you are looking for.

20. 2007/11/08
    D Budnick

I tried but that doesn't work.

Again, as I had stated above, in XP if I searched for all .docs ,the ones at the end of the Temporary Internet Files path described above also wouldn't turn up in the search. I have no idea why but again I could find them in the OLKA2 folder.

Bottom line: thanks to everyone for trying to help. I DID learn my lesson. If my next level Microsoft support person ends up solving my problem I will post the results here...

21. 2007/11/10
    Pharo

Pharo Inactive

Did you try to search all of C: for *.docx? Docx is the new extintion for Office 2007. Maybe that's whats throwing you off.

Later,

PBiZ