1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved I can't get Microsoft Edge to remember passwords

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Alicia J, 2015/12/04.

1. 2015/12/04
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member Thread Starter

Microsoft Edge won't remember passwords, including for this site. It doesn't matter if I check the box for remember or answer yes to Edge's offer to remember, the next time I go to the site, I have to sign in again.

Do I need to change a setting somewhere? Or is this a glitch with the browser?

2. 2015/12/04
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Till they get Edge up to par, I would suggest that you use IE. It is part of Win 10 and is installed on your PC.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/04

So this is not just my settings?

5. 2015/12/04
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

When you did it say for the first time on a web site, did a window pop up and ask if you wanted to save the password?

From what I am reading on Google, lots of people have this problem of it not saving passwords and have went back to IE till MS fixes this problem.

6. 2015/12/05
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I personally don't trust any browser to securely remember my passwords. Part of my worry is what happens if a badguy breaks into my home and steals my computer? Or what if I want access to all my passwords not just on with my PC, but my notebook and my smartphone too? Yes, I ALWAYS use a password to access my computers, but what if the badguy figures that one out - or Windows forgets to go to sleep?

So I use and recommend the use of a good password manager/safe. With a password safe you only have to remember one (ideally, very strong) password, the one into your safe.

I've been using SplashID Safe for over 10 years. Other recommended safes include Password Safe, KeePass Password Safe, LastpPass, and RoboForm is a favorite of many.

Good security strategy requires we use unique passwords for every site we visit so if a badguy hacks your bank, Target or The Home Depot and gets your password, they don't learn the password to your entire life. But unique passwords for every site is a real pain! These programs will generate a unique password for you. A password like <&C_W6aHHf4 would be nearly impossible for anyone, even using sophisticated software, to figure out. And to type in too - so these programs will also let you paste the password into the site. No worries about mistyping or fat fingers.

These are not just for passwords either. I keep my credit card information, kids' and grandkids' social security numbers, insurance and bank account numbers (and web addresses and phone numbers to them too) - anything that should not be written down on a sticky and "hid" :rolleyes: under my keyboard.

Like setting up a whole new filing system and file cabinet, they take some time to set up so they make sense (at least to you). But once set up, you can safely and securely store, and quickly find your passwords and other sensitive information easily. And you can easily copy your encrypted safe to a notebook or smart phone so you can take all your passwords with you, and still keep them secure.

Bill,
    Steve R Jones likes this.
  7. 2015/12/05

Thanks for the information MrBill. The message to tell me I don't have cookies enabled when I do is even more irritating! I have gone back to I.E. for most things but it doesn't load as fast as Microsoft Edge.

Bill I have used password safe but honestly not consistently. My bank passwords and any other financials are all in my head. I'll take a look at RoboForm.

8. 2015/12/05
    Bill

But is each one a unique password as it should be? In fact, most security experts recommend a unique username for each account too.

Speed is Edge's primary advantage over all the other browsers - much in part because Edge does not support add-ons. But the differences are typically no more than a second or two - typically fractions of a second. If IE or other browsers are taking an annoyingly long time, it is probably due to one of the add-ons.

I use IE too with the only add-on I added being Adblock Plus for IE.

Bill,
  9. 2015/12/05

I think I have too many add ons in I.E. It's a lot slower than Edge.

Yes I have unique passwords for each site. I find another language easy to remember LOL.

10. 2015/12/09

11. 2015/12/10
    Bill

No. Why would you? Note setting the function via Edge's own settings does the same thing.

12. 2015/12/10

It doesn't work to do through settings. Even though settings allow cookies I get a message on websites that require cookies to enable them.

13. 2015/12/10
    Bill

That could mean that something else is blocking them or perhaps you have turned off location services so the site cannot remember where you are and recommend things available in your area.

If you don't have to reenter your log in credentials (password and username) every time you visit a site (like WindowsBBS) then cookies are being saved.

If every time you visit WindowsBBS you are forced to reenter your username and password, then cookies are not being saved.

14. 2015/12/10

How do I check the settings for location services?

It remembers sites like this one, and fills it in each time I go to the websites I've been to, except it won't keep the check mark for remember me. I get some sites that tell me to enable cookies when they're already enabled.

https://login.live.com/cookiesDisabled.srf?mkt=EN-US&lc=1033

Last edited: 2015/12/10
  15. 2015/12/11
    Bill

I don't know what to suggest for you. As noted before Edge just does not seem to be as refined as it should be. And as much as Microsoft wants us to use Edge, I am sticking with IE11.

16. 2015/12/11

Yes I agree. I'm still using I.E11 until Microsoft gets the bugs out of Edge. It appears from my searches that I am not alone with this issue.