1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Husband getting my mail in his inbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by aks, 2008/08/04.

1. 2008/08/04
    aks

aks Inactive Thread Starter

My husband and I each have OE6 on our computers. I took his laptop on a trip recently and set up an account for me on his computer (OE only). It worked fine; I could switch between the two accounts. However, now back at home, my mail is showing up in his inbox. I removed my account from his OE, but he still gets my mail, along with his own.

I'm receiving my mail on my computer, as well, so it's no big deal, but I'm sure it shouldn't work this way. Any ideas?
    Alice

aks,
  2. 2008/08/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Hi aks,

Did you create a new Profile or just added a new account in the default profile ?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/08/04
    aks

Just new account

I just added a new account, rsinfo. Is that my problem?
    Alice

aks,
  5. 2008/08/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Alice

You posted in the wrong forum :) - moved to Windows Mail (...../Outlook Express/ ....)
    Unlikely - you could have added a new identity instead, but both would have served the same purpose.

Are you sure that the account you added is no longer listed under Accounts?

Only solution I can think of at present is to remove all the OE accounts from your husband's computer, close & reopen OE and then recreate his and any others bar yours.

6. 2008/08/04
    aks

Thanks, PeteC

Yes, PeteC, I am sure his is the only account showing now, but I'll remove it, close OE, and readd it. We're leaving tomorrow on another trip, though, and we're taking the laptop, so I think I'll try adding my own account, too. Wish me luck.
    Alice
    P.S. Thanks for moving my question to the appropriate area of BBS.

aks,
  7. 2008/08/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Have a good trip and let us know how OE behaves :)

8. 2008/08/04
    aks

Ok, guys, I just discovered that I had a little box next to "Include this account when receiving or synchronizing" checked. That's probably why my husband was getting both our emails. Problem solved --- I think.
    Alice

aks,
  9. 2008/08/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

:confused:Alice, when you have removed your account, there should not be any trace of it anywhere in OE.

10. 2008/08/04
    aks

Husband can't receive mail at all now

Oh boy, now I've done it. It turned out that unchecking "Include this account . . . " didn't solve the problem, after all. I removed all traces of me on his OE account. I even removed OE from his computer and reinstalled it, which started him fresh with the Main Identity, and I added his email account.
    BUT, now when we try to receive his mail, we get a login window (although we don't want to have to use a password) and eventually get this error message:
    "There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password was rejected. Account: 'mail.comcast.net,' Server: 'mail.comcast.net,' Protocal: POP3. Server response: ERR loginfailed. Port 110. Secure (SSL): Number Server Error: Ox800CCC90. Error number Ox800CCC92.

I've run back and forth between our two offices, comparing email set-ups. Mine and his appear to both be right (obviously wrong, somewhere, though), but mine doesn't get the login window and no error message, i.e., it works fine.

Can someone help, please?
    Alice:eek:

aks,
  11. 2008/08/04
    aks

Forgot to tell you . . .

I forgot to mention that I do have "Remember password" checked.
    Alice

aks,
  12. 2008/08/05
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Alice,

Are you giving the correct password ?

Also in email id try giving the idname without domain name [like email id - xyz@example.com, give only xyz] and vice versa.

13. 2008/08/05
    aks

Yes, rsinto, I've checked it and checked it umpteen times. And where I have the idname, I have left off the domain. But please don't give up. Keep thinking with me. And thanks.
    Alice
    P.S. And remember, I have the "Remember password" checked. I don't want it to even ask me for the password.

Last edited: 2008/08/05
    aks,
  14. 2008/08/05
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Alice, then try with full email id including domain name.

15. 2008/08/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Alice

Export your account from your computer which apparently is working fine to a USB stick and import it to your husband's computer. Then you will have exactly the same account details on both machines.

Also check that under both accounts on your husband's computer that 'My server requires authentication' is checked in the Account Properties Server tab - most ISP's require that these days.

16. 2008/08/05
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Before importing, delete the account from your husband's computer else you would end up with 2 accounts on his machine and a lot of confusion.

17. 2008/08/10
    aks

Most problems solved now, but . . .

Hi, guys,
    Me, again.
    I'm still in Texas, and I have both accounts on the laptop working just fine --- except that I haven't been able to separate the mail on the two accounts. My mail still comes in on his account. I'm sure it's not supposed to work this way. Any ideas?
    Alice
    P.S. By the way, it turned out that Microsoft (or was it Comcast?) changed my outgoing port, and that was my problem earlier in trying to send mail from either account.

aks,
  18. 2008/08/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The only suggestion I have is to create two new Identities - one for you and one for your husband with the corresponding accounts in each.

No guarantee that this will resolve the problem which is rather baffling to say the least.

19. 2008/08/11
    aks

But . . .

But, PeteC, isn't that what I did??? Having so much trouble, I removed both our accounts and added them both back several days ago. Or do you mean something else?
    Alice

aks,
  20. 2008/08/11
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Alice

I suspect you have two Accounts under Tools > Accounts ......

Alice@ISP.com and Husband@ISP.com

By default OE is set up with a single Identity - the Main Identity and that is what I think you are using - one Identity with 2 email accounts for 2 different people.

To separate users so that each has privacy and the security of a password (if required) individual Identities can be set up .....

File > Identities > New Identity

You would require 2 identities alongside of the Main Identity, which can be effectively bypassed, one for yourself and one for your husband.

That was the basis of my suggestion in my last post :)

21. 2008/08/11
    aks

2 Identities and 2 Accounts

Oh, but PeteC, I do have two identities (Alice and Thayer) as well as two accounts. Now, could it be that I shouldn't have deleted the "Main Identity?" Comcast suggested I do that when I couldn't make OE stop requiring a password.

Gotta' catch a plane. See you back in California.
    Alice

aks,