1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

HTTP port is disabled message

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Bucksone, 2017/07/29.

1. 2017/07/29
    Bucksone

Bucksone Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm trying to connect my Samsung Blu-ray player to my ASUS router. I'm doing a wired connection. I want to be able to watch Netflix shows through the player and also access home videos stored on my computer. After making the connection, I run a network test on the blu-ray player. It shows a check next to MAC Address, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS Server, and Gateway Ping. It shows an X next to Internet Service Test and the following message is displayed. "The HTTP port is disabled. Please check if the HTTP port is blocked by something like the internal firewall program."
    I Googled this message and found lots of people complaining about getting this message with their Samsung player, but no solutions to help my problem. I thought I would post here as this forum has always been my go to place for solving these types of problems.
    The blu-ray player is a Samsung model BD-D5100. My router is an ASUS AC1900 Dual Band 802.11ac gigabit router.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. 2017/07/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Firewall settings would need to be set to allow what you need through the firewall I think.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/07/29
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Set the samsung player network manually:

1. Give it a static IP address. If router address is 192.168.1.1 the give the samsung 192.168.1.250.
    2. Set subnet to 255.255.255.0.
    3. Set gateway to same as router IP (192.168.1.1)
    4. Set DNS to same as route IP (192.168.1.1)

(corrected a typo)

Last edited: 2017/08/01
  5. 2017/08/01
    Bucksone

I followed TonyT's advice and got the same result. For steps 3 and 4 I used 168 for the middle digits. I assumed that the 169 noted above was just a typo.

6. 2017/08/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Yes, use 168, not 169.
    The player will use the first entry for DNS and if it fails it will then not try the second DNS and it will throw out a "no Internet" message. Thus, instead of using the router IP for the player DNS use in this order if can enter 3: 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4 + 192.168.1.1. (first 2 are google DNS) (also, wise to use those first 2 in router DNS settings too).

Also, check the router Web interface firewall, it may be blocking the player erroneously.

Last edited: 2017/08/01
  7. 2017/08/03
    Bucksone

I tried to follow your instructions but no success yet. In the player settings there only appears to be one place to enter DNS number. I tried it with each of the numbers you suggested above but no luck. I don't know how to adjust the router DNS settings.
    I temporarily turned off the router's firewall and tried it, but no luck. I turned the router's firewall back on, of course. I also temporarily turned off the router's MAC address filtering to see if that would help, but no luck.
    Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

8. 2017/08/03
    retiredlearner

9. 2017/08/05
    Bucksone

I followed the above instructions when first beginning this effort to connect the player to my computer. It didn't work. Hoping for some additional help. Thanks.

10. 2017/08/05
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Per the research I've done the cause of the problem is the player's inability to resolve addresses, e.g. use a DNS server address. The solutions that worked for most folks has been to do a factory reset of the blue-ray player and then setup networking using a static address and google DNS (8.8.8.8).

Note, if your router address is 192.168.1.1 then use an address for the player in that scheme. If your router is 192.168.0.1 then use that scheme. Set the player gateway to the same IP as router and subnet 255.255.255.0.

Keep mac address filtering OFF in your router, you don't need that level of security.

Once you get the player connect you should be able to access its control panel from a Web browser using its IP address. There may be more settings there that are not available on the tv screen.

11. 2017/08/09
    Bucksone

Victory!
    I did the factory reset, set up the network manually and it still didn't work. The gateway was wrong, I believe. Then I let it set up automatically, and it worked! I can now watch Netflix, and also access files on my computer as well using software called AllShare that Samsung provided the link to.
    Thanks for all of the help with this.

12. 2017/08/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well done!

13. 2018/04/24
    Bucksone

I tried to reopen my thread on this from last summer, but it wouldn't let me, saying the thread is too old.

Well, the problem has returned. After working fine since last summer, out of the blue the player stopped connecting to the internet again a few weeks ago. I hadn't made any changes to any of the hardware or software, so I don't know why this happened. I tried all of the advice listed above but it hasn't helped this time. I updated the firmware for my router and verified that the firmware for the player is up to date as well. I suspect it's a DNS issue but I don't know how to solve it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

14. 2018/04/24
    retiredlearner

Any help here with controlling connections?

15. 2018/04/25
    Bucksone

Thanks for the video. It was interesting to see all of those features my router has, that I'm still not sure how to use. It seems a bit above my level of competence. I hesitate to mess too much with the router setting without knowing what I'm doing, for fear of screwing it up and knocking us off the internet!

16. 2018/04/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Repeat what worked before, reset the player. Even though it worked for a while, the player loses its functionality due to poorly coded firmware. Just because a device works does not mean that it will always work as intended. Most systems like that use an embedded linux operating system or similar operating system. It had bugs to begin with and the firmware developers can only do so much to get the hardware to work well enough to sell. And most companies won't invest millions in firmware development, it's cheaper and more profitable to just release new products with newer updated embedded operating systems.