1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved HP replacing DVD/CD player.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BobbyScot, 2016/07/28.

1. 2016/07/28
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Can anyone advise as to what is required to remove existing DVD/CD player?

2. 2016/07/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

A screwdriver should be all that is needed.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/29
    BobbyScot

Yes definitely a screw driver, however not so simple with an HP Presario CQ5115uk. The DVD/CD is securely fixed in the top bank with four small screws. The two screws at the flap end are certainly not accessible for removal. Space between the bank holding the DVD/CD is only three inched from the PSU. My reason for asking in the first place, is anyone having carried out this replacement, could tell me the best way to do this. Thanks.

5. 2016/07/29
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

6. 2016/07/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You still need a screwdriver - but to also disassemble the case enough to reach the 4 screws to the drive.

Just gotta love proprietary cases! :rolleyes:

Bill,
  7. 2016/07/29
    BobbyScot

The only item that can be removed is the PSU, banks holding the DVD/CD is solid metal part of the main metal case and only one side can be removed. I agree what was installed within the case should allow access, how it is done is the question which no doubt HP is the only ones who know.

8. 2016/07/30
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It has to be removable unless it (or the case) uses rivets instead of screws to hold it in.

Bill,
  9. 2016/07/30
    BobbyScot

To inspect DVD/CD require the front plastic facia to be removed for access to the front retaining screws, that is if the metal three tier banks is open and not solid. Rear retaining screws are accessible on removing metal side panel. Removing two cables attached to the DVD/CD, should then able the unit to slide out. It should then be the case of sliding the new DVD/CD in the bank and fit screws (4), cable (2). If correctly fitted should solve problem experience.

10. 2016/07/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Prefer screw-less fittings - drives all just click in. Front panel pulls off - just plastic button retainers. No tools required - quick and easy. The last HP case I worked on was a Desktop unit my daughter had given to her and it was necessary to download the Service Manual and full workshop tool kit to change the PSU. BobbyScot, you may have difficulty with the PATA and Power connectors as they don't give you much room to play with.

11. 2016/07/31
    BobbyScot

retirelearner my thanks for your response. Certainly, I have only removed the front plastic cover only once. It requires the three plastic clips to be pressed simultaneously to release front panel. The two cables connected to the current DVD/CD, have only limited length, but can be disconnected before removal of drive. There is limited room for a small screw driver required to remove the two rear screws, hoping the other two front screws are easily accessed. The new DVD/CD is supplied with four similar type screws for fitting. As I can remember replacing the front panel can be taxing to ones patience. Replacement of course, is no guarantee the trouble in question will be solved.

12. 2016/07/31
    BobbyScot

Original DVD/CD could not be removed as retaining screws could not be reached. Decided just to install replacement DVD/CD in the vacant bay, connecting the original cables to new DVD/CD. Device Manager shows new drive as installed and working properly. New drive fails to open/play any DVD Videos. It did open and play a holiday photo CD, however it now fails to do so. Noticed that DVD/CD is shown as "E" but in Device Manager reference is "F ". Any advice will be most appreciated. Other details : Disk Management : CD-Rom 0 DVD : (E). No Media. Blank no information. [ ] Unallocated [ ] Primary partition.

Last edited: 2016/07/31
  13. 2016/07/31
    retiredlearner

What software are you using to play DVD's?
    You may need to remove old DVD entry in BIOS.

14. 2016/08/01
    BobbyScot

I have used VLC for years and still do. BIOS is one area that I very seldom to venture. In the Computer it shows as "E" but information in the DVD screen as "F ", but could be just a reference. In Disk Management, last check showed only blank as given in my last thread entry.

15. 2016/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

CD-DVD.JPG
    If there is no disc in the drive the entry in Disk Manager will be blank as shown above (CD-ROM 1) - if there is a disk in the drive details will be shown as in CD-ROM 0 above.

16. 2016/08/01
    BobbyScot

Pete C, you are absolutely correct, the inserted disk is shown in detail in the Disk Management, thanks for the information. Tried a Video in new DVD/CD, this shows that VLC is not responding. If I use the HD that has videos installed, VLC opens and plays Video perfectly.

17. 2016/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would be inclined to go into Device Manager and uninstall the DVD/CD drive and reboot the computer to permit Windows to detect it and install the drivers.

18. 2016/08/01
    BobbyScot

How can I make VLC respond, to open and recognise the inserted Video in the new fitted DVD/CD drive. VLC operates normally for videos saved on HD and USB sticks. Pete C, I will try uninstalling the new DVD/CD drive and reinstall.

19. 2016/08/02
    BobbyScot

VLC has been re-installed. Videos and CD photos remain as not recognised, drive does show some action as though looking for something to act upon.

BIOS setting:

1st Boot Priority [CD-ROM Group].
    2nd Boot Priority [Hard drive Group].
    3rd Boot Priority [Floppy Group].
    4th Boot Priority [Network Boot].

Floppy Group Priority [Not installed].
    CD-ROM Group Priority [ATAPI - HAS324 F].
    HDD Group Priority [WDC5000AAK5-65-A].
    Network Group Boot Priority [Not Installed].

Last edited: 2016/08/02
  20. 2016/08/03
    BobbyScot

Problem has not produced a solution.

21. 2016/08/04
    retiredlearner

If you are using W10 - open Explorer (on Taskbar) > This PC > Right click DVD drive > Properties > Hardware > Highlight DVD drive > Properties > DVD Region and make sure it's set for your area.