1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

HP photosmart 7520 print gets blurry

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by muruga, 2016/06/10.

1. 2016/06/10
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Using brand-new set of HP ink cartridges on my two-year old HP Photosmart 7520 I get consistently blurry results from the midpoint of the page to the right. This is using just plain text a simple Word document. I have tried cleaning the printheads several times as well as realigning the printer several times with no positive results. I'm rather frustrated with HP because this is the second printer I purchased in just five years. HP has become a money black hole it just sucks your money in my opinion.

What to do? Suggestions?
    Thank you.

2. 2016/06/10
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sadly, you cannot blame just HP. IMO, it seems all printer makers have cheapened their products.

Was the print blurry before you replaced the ink?

I have basically the same printer. Mine's a 7525 and from what I've found the only difference is mine was sold in the big warehouse stores (Sam's and Costco) and the 7520 was sold at Best Buy, Stables, etc. Mine also came with a USB cable. In fact, when I print out the Printer Status Report, it says mine is the 7520.

That said, other than not liking 3rd parting ink, mine is doing fine after 3 years and 935 pages printed.

What happens when you print a Printer Status Report from the printer's front control panel? Does it look blurry?

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/06/10
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Got this on Amazon. Anyway yes print got blurry so replaced in 3 times I did very little printing. Yes blurry when doing print status - did all diagnostics - my conclusion replace printer with different brand may a Brother all purpose laser model. your opinion on this brand?

5. 2016/06/10
    Bill

It all depends on the specific model. All the major makers have some good models and some bad models. While I've had good luck with HP over the years and will definitely consider them again when the time comes, Brother is a brand I would look at too.

Bill,
  6. 2016/06/11
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

lj50,
  7. 2016/06/11
    Bill

Why did you replace the C510a, how long have you had the Epson, and are you happy with it?

I've been interested in Epson's new large capacity "Eco-Tank" models that supposedly provide 2 years of ink per tank based on "average" use. These printers cost a bit more up front, but it really is the cost of consumables, primarily ink, that drive up printing costs.

Epson says "average" use is about 150 pages per month. I probably print 30 - 50 at most. So my worries would be the ink drying and causing more problems.

Bill,
  8. 2016/06/11

HP almost gives you the printer, but they bang you for the replacement ink cartridges especially the XL cartridges.There is a catch with the C510a, 7520,and the 7525 two types of black ink cartridges a regular black supposedly for docs and a black photo ink cartridge. I find it rather odd that the more expensive photo black has to be constantly replaced more than any of the other cartridges and I don't print that many photos. If you don't use their replacement cartridges you get a warning every 30 to 40 seconds about not using Genuine HP Ink Cartridges. The HP Ink was running $130 - $140. Yes I'm happy with Epson and get my ink from them. The last time bought ink I paid for XLs $89. and change. Free shipping. I registered my printer with Epson and they keep sending me 15% off coupons. I know that it is not a lot of money, but every little bit off the price helps.

lj50,
  9. 2016/06/11
    Bill

No, I got one warning when I first installed them in my 7525. After that, no warning. But I went back to genuine because I felt the quality of the print outs was better.

I don't know where you were buying your HP Ink, but the prices for the 564XL for the 7525 are no where near that - unless you mean for a full set of cartridges. But right now at the HP store, they are $22.99 for each of the 5 in XL or $114.95 for a full set with free shipping. And that's currently $2.26 cheaper for each color than Amazon. And I note HP often has sales on their ink so I typically watch out for them. Last time I ordered, it was buy one @ $22.99 and get the second 1/2 off, and again with free shipping.

Regardless, I still feel that is a lot of money for ink.

Bill,
  10. 2016/06/11

The only place I can find them at the price I quoted is at BJs. Every place else wants $10 to$12 more(ie. BestBuy and Staples). They closed every other store that offered computer and printer accessories. I do not remember HP offering all of the ink cartridges in XL. I only keep the C510A because of the Zeen. Everything else about the printer is dung. I had an HP PhotoSmart 8180 All-In-One Printer. Bought it Brand new. It was the best printer I've ever owned. I had a problem with it. HP could not reset the printer so they sent me a 7520 C510A refurbished piece of junk. That's when I switched to Epson. I recently bought a new notebook. I never thought I would do this, I bought a Dell. I still have the HP that's listed in my Sys Specs. and the my other HP business notebook.

Last edited: 2016/06/11
    lj50,
  11. 2016/06/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member