1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved HP OMEN DVDplayer not functioning.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BobbyScot, 2017/04/07.

1. 2017/04/07
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Inserting DVD into the player, fails to play. HP computer being only a few days old was taken to the PCWorld Store where it was bought. The Technician, played two DVD Movie disks and said it required for me to click on the screen, each time to enable the player to play. He was most reluctant to show me this procedure. I use VLC software for screening DVDs, nothing in VLC appears to do this. I am hoping, that a member of this Forum will be able to solve this problem.

2. 2017/04/07
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Bobby,
    In W10 > Right click Start > Control Panel > Autoplay > DVD's and expand Choose a Default and set it to what you want. VLC should show in the selection available (if you have set VLC as Default player in Settings > System > Default Apps).

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/04/08
    BobbyScot

Hi Bill, I am in the wars again, even with a new computer. I will try your suggestion and certainly appreciate your help.

5. 2017/04/08
    retiredlearner

Bobby, It's Neil from NZ ;)
    When you put a DVD in the player in W10, a message pops up in the Lower RIGHT of your screen (Notification area) and it asks you what you want to do with the disc. Unfortunately, this message (by Default) only displays for 5 seconds. You gotta be quick!!! You click on that message and the Menu opens at the Top Right of your screen. This message stays there until you read and click on your choice of action for the disc. Hope this helps sort your W10 out. Neil.
    If you open Settings > Ease of Access > Other Options > Show notifications for > click on down arrow head (expand) and you can set a longer time for the message to appear. Close out when you've made your selection.

Last edited: 2017/04/08
  6. 2017/04/09
    BobbyScot

Hi Bill, thanks for your help. I inserted a DVD in the Player, but failed to see any message in the top right of screen. I increased the time lapse to 5 minutes (max). I did a cmd/admin test today and the result showed "disk not ready". Of all dodgy computers sold, I am certain to be its owner. What you are suggestion, is what the PCWorld technician did but refused to tell me.

7. 2017/04/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Try setting up Autoplay from Control Panel > Autoplay - scroll down the Window to DVD's and select your chosen action from the dropdown list, e.g, Play video DVD (Videolan ...). Remember to click on the Save button at the bottom of the window.

8. 2017/04/09
    BobbyScot

PeteC, Play video DVD with VLC.

9. 2017/04/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Bobby - I'm not sure what you mean by that - is the issue resolved or not? BTW VLC = Videolan.

10. 2017/04/09
    BobbyScot

Sorry Peter, should say I use VLC software, in this case the DVD player installed fails to be recognised or play. Any videos saved on a USB stick plays videos normally. How the PCWorld technician played a video of mine on my computer is a complete mystery, and he is determined to keep this secret, refuses to replace computer even though the Support on line has authorised it..

11. 2017/04/09
    retiredlearner

Bobby, have you checked in Device Manager to see if your DVD is listed and working?
    You will need to determine if the DVD Player is faulty, but the supplier should honour the warranty or explain and demonstrate what you need to do.
    Pete, see my first Post.
    If the techo played 2 movies, the DVD player should be working.
    The procedure I have outlined is what I have been using since W10 was released. If I plug in my Samsung S4 phone or a USB thumb drive, or place a DVD in my Player or any external USB device, the notification appears for 5 seconds in the LOWER RIGHT of screen. I click on that and the Menu appears in the TOP RIGHT of screen.
    You need to have set the DEFAULTS first in Settings > System and it should all work as I have explained. Neil.

12. 2017/04/10
    BobbyScot

Bill, sorry can you persevere with me. In the Choose default applications under system, which one on the list is to be opened? I have read many captions in the right bottom of screen, but honestly never referring to the DVD Player to play movies on a DVD disk. At the moment it certainly appears that I am in the "early stages of learning". I really depend on people like you, my thanks.

13. 2017/04/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Bobby ....

Follow these instructions - screen shots below ....

Settings > Apps > Default Apps - Scroll down to Video and click on the default entry to open an app list - select VLC Media Player, As you can see I have Windows Media Player as default.

When a video DVD is inserted you should see in the lower right hand corner a message - click on it and a message pops up in the upper right hand corner - select VLC Media Player. The DVD will play. Windows will remember the setting and the next time you insert a video DVD it will start tpo play automatically. Apps 1.JPG Apps 3.JPG DVD.JPG Play DVD.JPG

I am running the latest version of 10 - Windows Creator Edition, but I am not aware of any changes in this area from the Anniversary edition.

14. 2017/04/10
    BobbyScot

Pete, I had as suggested carried out, but as before no caption box appeared lower right hand screen. I contacted PCWorld technicalknowhow and they now agree a fault is the Disk player and computer is arranged for an uplift and replacement. Its very strange that my E-mails (several) from their Support team, the named persons asking me to contact are non-existent. I will let you all know, what the final outcome is. I never had this problem playing DVDs until now - it used to be insert a DVD in the drive and it played. Is under Window10 different procedure?

15. 2017/04/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No, not once the default action on inserting a film DVD has been set up.

May I suggest that, if possible, when you collect the PC you take along the DVD you are trying to play and ensure that it does before you leave the shop.

16. 2017/04/10
    BobbyScot

PeteC, very good advice. However, PCWorld is uplifting the computer tomorrow as I am unable to collect in store through health, and I prefer not to engage with Technician who has no diplomacy what so ever. I am now computer less until replacement is delivered. Thanks again for you interest.

17. 2017/04/15
    BobbyScot

After long phone calls with PCWorld, finally now have a new replacement OMEN computer. However, DVD player problem is still current. Under HD window, the DVD -RW player shows the title of the inserted Video but fails to play. I still can not find anything that opens and plays the Drive. VLC does open a windows that shows Audio_TS and Video_TS - with several detailed numbers. I am still unable to find your suggested message in lower right or top right of screen.

18. 2017/04/15
    retiredlearner

Bobby, Start > Settings > System > Notifications > check if ALL your notifications from Apps and Senders are ON. Make sure HIDE is OFF.

19. 2017/04/16
    BobbyScot

Bill, thanks for advice, all settings are [on] with the exception of "Hide". I have set the time lapse to 5 minutes as suggested previously. Now on inserting a DVD, there is some activity with a window opening showing Audio_TS and Video_ TS. Other than that, no other procedure or" Box" showing either right top or bottom of screen. I am at a loss, your instructions are easy yo follow and yet no results on my part, one thing for sure that I am missing the vital part of the exercise. VLC is not working as Films & TV has taken over regardless that VLC is chosen as "Default Application". VLC is certainly better for quality and colour but Films & TV is the dominant in my case. In my case, the Computer has taken over, end of story.

20. 2017/04/16
    retiredlearner

Bobby, you need to go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Video Player > Films and TV > select VLC Media Player - this should now be your Default Player. You should see the Notification as Pete explained and showed in his screen shots. Neil.

21. 2017/04/16
    BobbyScot

Neil, this has always been the settings so can not understand as to why or reason for not playing the disc. Will check again. Bobby.