1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved HP OfficeJet 4500 G510n-z Unable to communicate

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by sandilew, 2014/06/01.

1. 2014/06/01
    sandilew Lifetime Subscription

sandilew Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an HP OfficeJet 4500 AIO printer, and it's worked with no problems for 2 years. I had connection problems last week, and my ISP installed a new modem/router combo system, and now my HP printer is no longer working.

I had previously set it up wirelessly, so I thought I needed to put in the new password for the new router, but when I attempted to do that, I could find no way to enter it.

I was not able to get the printer to work at all, either wirelessly or connected with USB cable. So I completely un-installed the printer software, shut down the computer, rebooted up, and attempted to install the printer again as a new printer. It isn't working.

The printer is listed, but for some reason, the computer and printer are no longer communicating.

Any suggestions?

Sandie

2. 2014/06/01
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/06/01

Hi Mr Bill,

Thank you for the link for the updated HP Print & Scan Doctor. I've installed the program, and it found my printer right away, but I am still unable to communicate.

Just so you know, I did post my problem to the HP Support forum, and it has been viewed by others, but no one has responded at all. So I came here, where I people have always been most willing to help. I may have to call HP and speak to someone to find out how to do this. But I was hoping to do it on my own, with help like yours, if I could.

Thank you so much for trying,
    Sandie

5. 2014/06/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi sandilew, When I installed a Wireless Printer (HP 2540 All in One), I opened the Browser and put http://192.168.1.1 in the Address Bar and that opens the Modem Control Panel.
    The instructions were to enter "Installing your Modem/Router "
    Enter admin for both username and password fields.
    Click on Wireless.
    Click on Enable Wireless and ensure Hide Access Point is unticked.
    In the SSID field, type the name that you want to use to identify your wireless connection e.g. wireless. Click the Apply/Save button. Close out of Browser.
    Next step is to set up your computer's wireless network adaptor to the suppliers instructions (HP).
    Hope this helps. Neil.
    Make sure you have the Default wireless password code written down to insert when required.

Last edited: 2014/06/01
  6. 2014/06/02

Hello Retiredlearner,

When I clicked on the link you provided, it asked for a username and password, which I apparently do not have, and therefore was not able to access any further.

Verizon set up the router, and I am afraid to mess with their settings, for fear I will lose access to everything. They gave me the SSID and password for my wireless devices, so my tablets are working just fine.

As for the printer, I would really prefer to connect this time using the USB cord, so I won't have this problem again, but I'm still not able to do that.

Thank you for your help,
    Sandie

7. 2014/06/02
    retiredlearner

Sorry Sandie,:eek: It changed to a link when I submitted my Post. What you do is manually put 196.168.1.1 in your address bar in your Browser. Neil.
    Don't you get the instructions from HP on how to connect your printer by cable or wireless? My HP Manual with the printer gave me the options and how to do it.

Last edited: 2014/06/02
  8. 2014/06/02
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

9. 2014/06/03

Hi Retiredlearner,

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Yes, I do have a set up guide and book that came with my HP printer, and I'm using it to help me through the process.

I have shut everything down, disconnected, rebooted, removed the device, then removed the software, shut down and rebooted, and then chose "add printer ", and started the installation process from the very beginning, and choosing CONNECT WITH USB" and followed all instructions. When I'm finished, my printer is there, my printer is working manually, but NOT communicating with the computer at all.

I have done this twice now, and am about to try a third time using another USB port. I don't expect it to make a difference, since to the best of my knowledge, all the USB ports work just fine. But this time I am using a port I had been using for my external drive, and I know for sure it works perfectly well. That is no guarantee the installation will work, but it's worth a try.

Hello Antik,

I see I have a message from Jamieson on HP forum, and will check into it very soon. I didn't see it until after I had shut down the PC for the day, and was checking my e-mails on my tablet before going to bed. So it was too late for me to respond anyway. Thank you for letting me know it was there though. That was very thoughtful of you.

Thanks to both of you. Everyone here at BBS has always been so helpful. You are all the very best resources I have. :)

Sandie

10. 2014/06/04
    retiredlearner

Hi Sandie, I had a problem with an earlier HP printer setup with my Vista HD and HP recommended going to their site and Downloading the Software/Drivers and installing from that. Neil.

11. 2014/06/04
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Sandie, I've been following yours and Jamieson's posts on the HP forum and I think you are correct in your analysis of the problem.

Try this:

Open Printers by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.

Right click each printer icon and choose properties. See if you can determine which one is the wireless connection. Delete that one. (Right-click the printer that you want to remove, and then click Delete.)

If there is an additional icon for the USB connection, make that one the default printer. If it isn't there, try installing the printer again.

If you can't delete the printer, right-click it again, click Run as administrator, and then click Delete. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I also agree with retiredlearner about using the latest drivers from the HP site rather than the drivers on the CD that came with the printer.

12. 2014/06/04

OK I have my printer working, but it has been a nightmare journey throughout.

I called Verizon (My ISP) and one of their tech support people showed me how to put in the specific settings using the dashboard directly on the front of the printer. In the original setup, I didn't need to use that, except when installing cartridges and such, so I had no previous knowledge on putting in Network Wi-fi setting. I do now. The printer said it was connected.

I could not get the printer to communicate with my PC.

I downloaded the software directly from the website, and installed it, it did not find the connected printer.

I ran the Scan & Printer Doctor program, it found my HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z printer, AND an HP320B39 (HP OfficeJet 4500 G510n-z) Network printer.

The Doctor downloaded and installed the software again, but only for the first HP Officejet 4500 printer, not the "Network" printer. So the software installation has not competed, and I am unable to use the software at all because of this.

Every time I attempted to print, it would say CANNOT COMMUNICATE

I used the Windows Help & Support, and SOMEHOW I accidentally clicked on something right, and a window opened showing every wireless device on my network...........and among that list was the HPE20BE9 (HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z) I right clicked on this and chose "INSTALL "

I then went into Devices and Printers, and saw that exact same printer listed there, so I chose that printer as my default printer. Then I chose a simple document to print, a new window opened, for me to choose which printer to print from, I made sure the HPE20BE9 printer was chosen, checked my preferences, and told it to print....................AND IT DID!!

I hope I never have to go through this 6 day nightmare again. I am glad though, that I persisited and did not give up because I was only seconds away from trashing that printer, my patients at it's complete end. How I accidentally stumbled on that list of "Network Devices" I'll never know. I have tried since, and now cannot find it again, so if anyone knows that information, I would appreciate it so I can write it down for future reference. Without it I would still be unable to print.

Have a great day, and I do appreciate everyone that did try to help me. But my situation apparently needed more information than I was fable to find here or on HP Support. The problem is now resolved.

Cordially,
    Sandielynne

13. 2014/06/04
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Kudos to you for your tenacity and thank you for sharing your solution. Your experience will help others.

See if this gets you to the screen with the wireless devices:

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet

Choose Network Computers and Devices in the Network and Sharing Center section

Hover your mouse pointer over a wireless device icon to select it. Right-click the icon, then select Properties from the context menu. This displays information about the wireless device, including its Internet Protocol address and serial number. The information panel might also include a url for the device's support website.

You should be able to launch the troubleshooting wizard that you used by clicking the Troubleshoot Problems link in the main Network and Sharing Center window.

14. 2014/06/04

Hello Antik,

It's totally strange, because I've looked 6 ways from Sunday, and now cannot find the folder showing all of my network wireless devices. I tried what you suggested, but they never showed, and I clicked everywhere I could looking for them.

Another odd thing is I have installed the HP Scan & Printer Doctor. When I run this program, it FINDS both HP printer, which are both the same printer, but for some reason, the Scan & Print Doctor gave a different name to the one that is connected wirelessly and successfully communicating with my PC. The problem then is that for some reason it will only stall the software for the original HP printer, not the new one that is connected and communicating.

I wonder if I should remove the original printer, and the software, and then try to install the software using the printer that is remaining and working? Or could that possibly mess up all I've accomplished so far?

I am able to print now, from my PC. But I am unable to scan anything from the PC, or scan and save to file, because the scanning software is unable to install, to tell the scanner to do that, as the installation never fully completed when the first HP printer was unsuccessful in connecting or communicating.

I have to tell you, I've never had anything this perplexing in all my years of computing, but I really would like to have everything working as it should, if that is at all possible.

15. 2014/06/04
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

All unsolvable problems are only unsolvable until the moment that the solution is found.

Try Start, and then, on the Start menu, click Devices and Printers. Is that the screen you remember?

You know which is the good printer, as it is now checked as your default. Follow the steps in #10 above and delete any other printers. See if then you can install your complete HP software package.

Last edited: 2014/06/04
  16. 2014/06/05

Hello Antik,

I'll be honest with you, I'm terrified to remove all the other printers in the printer folders. I don't even know where most of them come from, because they are associated with programs I use, but are not actual physical printers. There is a PDF printer a Journal Note Writer, and so on. And every time I tried installing the software for the printer that is working, the software would not recognize that printer even though it is THE printer that goes with the software. Really strange isn't it?

As for finding that folder showing all the network connected devices, I have tried over and over, and cannot find it again. In appearance, it looked like the folder for Devices and Printers, showing Icons for each connected item. There was my Computer at the top, then the Roku streaming player, my Sony DVD Blu-ray player, which also streams Netflix etc., next catagory it showed the tablets (Nexus & Kindle), and then the Printer was all the way at the bottom, under Printers. And although in the Devices and Printers folder it shows many printers icons, including the actual one I'm using. But in the network connected folder, it only showed this one HP Printer.

I know there MUST be a way to find that folder again, but for the life of me, I don't know how, or where it is. Someone more familiar with delving into PC's would have to show me how, because the first time it was by sheer luck. LOL

Sandie

17. 2014/06/05
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

I should have said delete the other instances of your HP printer, the ones you say have different names from the default that now works, not things like the .pdf tool.

Perhaps it would be worth seeing if the TWAIN driver has been installed for the scanner.

Windows 7 has a basic scan tool that you can try to see if your scan function will work.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-scan-a-document-in-windows-7.html

Now that your printer is communicating with the computer, have you tried the scanner portion of the HP Print and Scan Doctor?

18. 2014/06/05

Hello Antik,

Frightened as I was, I did as you suggested. Deleted the HP printer listed in devices but not communicating, uninstalled all of the HP software, rebooted the computer, and then opened the Print & Scan Doctor, had it search for the printer, and when it found the odd named HP Officejet, I highlighted it, and went on with the full installation from there.

THE FULL SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED.................AND THE PRINTER IS WORKING AS IT SHOULD!!! It has a new name though, it's now HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z (copy1). LOL

Hey, I don't care. It's up and running as it did before this fiasco. Thank for your moral support as well as your suggestions. :)

Sandie

19. 2014/06/05
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Sandie, that is good news to hear. Thank you for letting me know.

20. 2014/06/06

You are most welcome Antik,

I really appreciated your help and support. Now my life can return to "normal" once again. LOL

Have a great Summer,
    Sandie