1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to transfer my files from PC to Laptop [simple network]

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by panchal, 2005/07/31.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/07/31
    panchal

panchal Inactive Thread Starter

How to transfer my files from PC to Laptop

I recently purchased Laptop and wish to transfer my files from PC TO LAPTOP Does anyone know free software to enable this? Also my PC and laptop has USB/SERIAL/PARALLEL PORT.
    PL guide

2. 2005/07/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Assuming both PC's are running XP the software is built in - Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Otherwise burn to CD/DVD and copy to laptop.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/07/31
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Several methods:

1. If pc has a cd burner, burn the files to cd then copy from cd onto laptop.
    2. USB pen drive, put pc files on pen drive, remove & insert pen dribe into laptop, copy files.
    3. External zip drives can do same a pen drive.
    4. Network: enable file sharing on both computers and connect them using a crossover cat5 network cable.
    5. email - email the files from the pc to yourself and retrieve the email using the laptop. (note-isp may limit attachment sizes on email)
    6. ftp: your isp probably gives you free web space, ftp upload the files to your free personal web space and download using the laptop.

re transfer using a network, see this guide from microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...16-db45-4aeb-962d-03ac1ee12d14&DisplayLang=en

5. 2005/07/31
    panchal

thanks how both PC should be connected

many thanks to both of u .I want to know which port is required to be connected BETWEEN BOTH PC'S ;LAN/SERIAL/PARALLEL/USB.IF USINF FILE AND SETTING WIZARD.
    WHICH IS FASTER DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER ANY SOFTWARE IS AVAILABLE TO TRANSFER VIA USB.

6. 2005/07/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

7. 2005/08/01
    panchal

please guide me to set up network

Following advice ,I connected both PC and my laptopn with LAN cable VAT5(little larger then tel.conn)then i went to old PC desktop >acc>system tools> file and setting transfer wizard. but here when i select option home network then next> it displays my other computer is not able to be located but in fact it exist and had been connected to LAN cable.

What should be done , can anyone guide me stepwise how to setup . Is there any other setting to be activated before network is setup

8. 2005/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You must first set up the network ....

Control Panel > Network Connections > Network Setup Wizard.

9. 2005/08/01
    panchal

Network setup problem

Yes I tried to set up Network with wizard but during process it says that wizard found disconnected network hardware. I went to properties and tried to find hardware status , but it is fine.
    I have already connected both of my Computers with RJ45 CAT5 CABLE , ONLY need to ask is there different types of cables viz. paired n single for same type of connector, if so then may be my connectors are same but link cable may not be suitable for networking. I am not sure.

Any stepwise guide to check Network card .What is difference between 1394 Net adapter and Interl(R)PRO /100 VE NETWORK CONNECTION.

10. 2005/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The cable you require is a 'crossover' cable as posted by TonyT

1394 Net adapter - this is your firewire connection - for some unknown reason this gets set up in the network as well.

I am moving this thread to the Networking forum where you will receive more extert assistance.

11. 2005/08/03
    panchal

Help please to transfer files using home network

In order to transfer my files from my old desktop to my new Laptop
    I had set up network between my desktop(Home1) and laptop(Home2) by Network set up wizard..I also tried to run file and setting transfer wizard on both of them. Thereafter on going to networkplace on desktop and on clicking view workgroup computers I cannot locate anything however,on clicking MS Windows Network I can locate dektop icon(Home1) and on laptop can find both computers icons(Home 1 and home 2) , however on clicking (home1 icon) from Laptop to view files of my desktop , a warning is displayed saying that "You might not have permission to use this network resource, the network path is not found;
    Doubting hardware may have problem I tried to ping between both computers and it does receives and sends ,ruling out any hardware issues.
    Even, I runned file and setting wizard on my dektop , but here again when I select method of transfer as Network it displays your new computer cannot be located.

I cannot figure out where I am going wrong , can anyone guide me please.

Please guide me on how should I proceed to transfer files from my old Desktop to Laptopn by above method.

P.S: Shared folders on both PC's doesn't display file enabled for sharing.

12. 2005/08/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Networhing is not my forte - I have asked Scott Smith, Networking forum moderator to assist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.