1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to remove write protection from flash drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Ingeniero1, 2007/02/17.

1. 2007/02/17
    Ingeniero1 Contributing Member

Ingeniero1 Inactive Thread Starter

While copying files from the hard drive to a 1GB "EP-Memory" USB flash stick, the message "can't continue to copy because the device is write-protected. Remove write protection to continue" OR something like that.
    - There was plenty of room left on the memory stick
    - Obviously, there is no switch (and if there had been one, no data could have been copied)
    - I tried to format the drive, but it said "The operation did not complete because the media is write-protected "

Windows Explorer listed a number of folders and files (about 500 MB worth) that apparently were successfully copied, but if I try to access any of them, they are not available!

Is the stick trash?

2. 2007/02/18
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Can you write to an other flash drive?

If you have XP SP2, there could be a registry setting activated that will not let you write to USB drives...

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/18
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

5. 2007/02/18
    Ingeniero1 Contributing Member

Ingeniero1 Inactive Thread Starter

Arie wrote:
    I don't have any more 'flash drives' per se, but I do have three 2.5" USB HD that I use for backup; you know, the ones in the small aluminum cases that are USB-powered; two are 6GB, one is 40GB, all are different brands, and they all work perfectly.

The PC (HP XW4000) has its own built-in USB drives (1.0), and I added a 4-port USB 2.0 card - and they all work fine with the 2.5" HD. Obviously, the 2.0 ports are much faster, but they all work.

Does any of this make any difference?

Thanks

Alex