1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to make pc run only in tablet mode

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rich A, 2015/10/25.

1. 2015/10/25
    Rich A

Rich A Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I pretty much like Windows 10 so far. But I have one issue that I can't resolve.

I would like to have windows tablet mode be the default mode and not have it toggle or change. (unless I manually change it)

When I have the screen with the windows "Tiles" and open one then either minimize or close it, desktop goes back to the non-tile screen. I have to constantly click on the windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen to get my "tile screen" to re-display.

Bottom line is that I would prefer to have the Windows system default to the tablet mode and stay that way with all my tiles intact.

2. 2015/10/25
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/25
    Rich A

Thanks for the link but I've long since been there and what is written on that web article does not work for me.

The article says to use the "toggle" by default in the Action Center. But that toggle is greyed out and does nothing.

The other more long winded way is to hit he start button and open Settings and then "System ".
    When accessing the Tablet Mode there it is OFF and greyed out and it doesn't toggle.

I've been playing with this for a few weeks now and have researched everything I could on the subject.

But none of the fixes seem to help. I wonder if this might be a bug caused by my using Dual Displays and somehow that is disabling any toggling of the tablet mode?

5. 2015/10/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Found this:
    Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...
    Does anyone know how to turn on the automatic desktop/tablet mode switching?

I run W10, the official release, on a Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard cover. Up to now, when I detach the keyboard I get asked if I want to switch to tablet mode, and when I attach the keyboard desktop mode has been automatically restored. I really like how W10 separates the two modes, instead off like W8/8.1 trying to be in both modes simultaneously.
    If you go to Settings > System > Tablet mode, there is a "When this device automatically switches tablet mode on or off" What do you have that set to?
    it didn't work whatever i set
    i've restored computer with system restore back couple of days and it worked again.
    I figured you must have seen/looked at that setting, but figured I mention it anyway. Just in case the default setting got changed somehow without you noticing. I run multiple displays so tablet mode is disabled for me. Couldn't use it even if I wanted to. Not without killing all but one of my displays.
    This last sentence caught my eye. Neil.

Also will this be of any help?
    "Windows 10 Technical Preview 2: Continuum and Tablet Mode "
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/2240/windows-10-technical-preview-2-continuum-and-tablet-mode

Last edited: 2015/10/25
  6. 2015/10/27
    Rich A

Still no joy. I'll try resetting the system to a single display and see if that will do anything.

7. 2015/11/01
    Rich A

Answer not found .. is a "dual display" problem

I've confirmed that the problem is my setup using MULTIPLE displays. When setting my environment to only use one display everything works. I can open multiple applications and close them and the display will stay in "Tablet" mode.

If I "extend" my display to a 2nd monitor everything works EXCEPT when closing or minimizing a program on the #1 (main) display which causes the main display's screen to change from "tablet" back to "desktop ". So I have to manually re-open the tablet display.

I've always used multiple monitors as I work a lot with my computer with a lot of things going on at one time and make use of the multiple monitors to extend the primary display. In short I would like to have the #1 primary monitor use the "Tablet" mode and the 2nd monitor use the "Desktop" mode. I think the toggling between Desktop and Tablet mode with multiple monitors may not be possible with Windows 10??

Can't really make this a "solved" problem so I leave it like this for a while and see if anyone comes up with something. Are any others having any kind of issues regarding Win 10 and multiple monitors ??

- Rich