1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to look after your PC Security.

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by retiredlearner, 2017/05/23.

1. 2017/05/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

virginia and Bill like this.
  2. 2017/05/24
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Nice find! :)

It is true that some people have had problems after Windows updated itself. But those numbers really are miniscule. You probably have a better chance of getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery (and I am trying to win the lottery! ;)). The problem is, reports of problems tend to be GREATLY exaggerated by many in the IT press and blogosphere with their sensationalized headlines to get attention, which are then picked up by others in the IT press and blogosphere until a couple incidents suddenly turn into a pandemic global event. :(

The reality is, it is considerably less than 1% of Windows Updates (I've heard .01%) that have problems. That means an extraordinary 99.99% success rate! But with 1 billion+ W7/W8/W10 systems out there, that means potentially 100,000 users might have a serious problem. I say might, because most problems encountered are minor and clear with a reboot, or via a new update from Microsoft.

But 100,000 angry users can make a lot of noise - especially when amplified by wannabe IT journalists seeking a name for themselves. This is further exaggerated by Microsoft bashers - many of whom, sadly, spread bad advice in forums and anywhere else they can get people to listen to them. :(

What then often happens is those less informed (and misinformed) fear Windows Update will hopelessly break their systems, so they delay (or even disable) automatic updates and things like the recent WannaCry ransomware move in.

The fact is, you are MUCH MORE LIKELY to be hit with malicious software if you don't update than to have Windows Update break your computer.

For the record, I have had 6 - 10 computers here since Windows 7 came out in 2009. That's when I finally decided Microsoft had Windows Update figured out, and I have let all my systems update via Windows Update automatically ever since. In that time, only twice have I had an update fail to install correctly and stop one of my computers. But in both those cases, a simple reboot cleared the problem and within a week or two, Microsoft released a new update that installed with no problems.

So my advice, let Windows do it. Microsoft really do know what they are doing.

Bill,
    virginia likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/06/06
    felicityblue

felicityblue Well-Known Member

important things to remember
    • Windows 7 is supported with security updates until the end of extended support on January 14, 2020. You must have Service Pack 1 installed to get updates.
    • Windows 8.1 is supported with security updates until the end of extended support on January 10, 2023. You must have updated to Windows 8.1 to get updates—the original version of Windows 8 isn’t supported with updates anymore.
    • Windows 10 is supported with security updates until October 14, 2025. You must have the latest update to Windows 10 installed to keep receiving updates until 2025.

5. 2017/06/06
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Since Windows 10 is positioned more as SaaS & less as a pure vanilla OS, I fail to understand the concept of end of support for Win 10.

6. 2017/06/07
    Bill

I was wondering about that myself.

I would not call W10 a true SaaS since it is installed on our systems, is not centrally located and is not "served" as "on-demand" software which is how "Software as a Service" works. You can disconnect from the Internet and still use it. You don't even have to have Internet access to install it.

But it is marketed as "The last version of Windows" and was designed (in terms of licensing and deploying updates anyway) as a service ("WaaS" actually) with the idea that it will just keep evolving - maybe, eventually, into a real SaaS. But for that to become a reality, EVERY user will have to be connected to the Internet. We're not there - yet.

My "guess" is the lifecycle policy has specific dates for W10 just to stay consistent with past policy and that eventually (perhaps in 2025), "Windows 10" will become simply "Windows" or some altogether new moniker.

Bill,
  7. 2017/06/07
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

So when does Windows As A Service start charging us $200.00 a month for their service like Cablevision(Optimum) does.

lj50,
  8. 2017/06/07
    Bill

The same time I move to Linux. ;)

Bill,
    rsinfo likes this.
  9. 2017/06/07
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

rsinfo likes this.