1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to check if a printing is successful

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by FuzMic, 2016/12/17.

1. 2016/12/17
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi gurus

If I send a report to a printer to print, if all goes well i can check the status of the printer to see there is any queue still stuck, right?

Is there another faster and smarter way to check the response eg
    1. A return value after sending the report that we can catch & message out to user
    2. A quick check with a .cmd to check eg dir %windir%\system32\spool\printers\*.*

What say you?

2. 2016/12/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/17
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Ummm, if all goes well, you can go to the printer and pick up the printouts.

Are you saying this is a remote printer somewhere and you don't have physical access to it?

For me, when the printer icon leaves my System/Notification tray area, I know the job is gone and printed. If there was some error (out of ink, out of paper, jam), the icon remains with a hover bubble telling me I still have X number of document(s) pending for [username].

Bill,
  5. 2016/12/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Same printer as with his other issues in several posts here, a point of sale receipt printer.

6. 2016/12/17
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the pointers, Tony, great value to know more about wmic. Yes POS thermal printer that operates very remotely.

I currently resort to Dir(Environ("Systemroot") & "\system32\spool\printers\*.s*") to check which is the same as Notification Tray.

7. 2016/12/24
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Is this issue resolved?