1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to change Denied Access.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2018/01/14.

1. 2018/01/14
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I have been denied access, what procedure is required to access software requiring this.

2. 2018/01/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Refer to my reply in your previous Thread. You need to get Admin rights through Command Prompt.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/15
    BobbyScot

Yes thank you, my copy of Windows 10, shows a different setup to your post. Command Prompt shows now as Windows Powershell (Admin). I thought my computer was set as Administrator.

5. 2018/01/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The Creators Update changed the Command Prompt Power Shell - here's how to get in back .....

How to Put the Command Prompt Back on the Windows+X Power Users Menu

6. 2018/01/15
    BobbyScot

PeteC, tried the above. What ever happened was catastrophic, it reset my computer to Administrative Control. Now I have an entirely new Startup screen (Windows Light Screening), never able to access this screen with all versions of Windows. It now requires an entire new setup, that I find most difficult to achieve. Now appears that I am controlled Administrator and if correct should be able to Access as to Denied.

7. 2018/01/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

From my reading of the article that I posted the ONLY change that should be made by following the instruction to
    is the replacement of Powershell with Command Prompt in the menu as shown.

I have no idea why any other changes were made, nor do I understand what you mean by Windows Light Screening. I am at a disadvantage in that I have never used the Windows 10 desktop opting instead to use Start10 which restores the Windows 7 Start Menu which I find to be more user friendly and familiar. I have used either Start8 or Start10 ever since those OS's were released.

My suggestion is to revert back to the original setting and return to Powershell.

8. 2018/01/15
    BobbyScot

How do I return to original setting? Powershell is as always still showing in Start. At present now Starting as Administrator and a complete Delete of original settings. Required complete reinstallation of all my software titles and settings. To be honest, now in a complete chaos and mess up, unless there is a quick and east way to revert computer settings as it was..

9. 2018/01/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I assume, rightly or wrongly that the setting for “Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell” was originally set to ON and you turned it to OFF - that should have had the effect you desired. Check the setting again.

As far as reverting back to your original settings the only suggestion I have is to induce a System Restore, which may or may not resolve your problems ....

Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore (Restore System Files and Settings) and click on Next and select a Restore Point prior to your change of the “Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell” setting.

10. 2018/01/15
    retiredlearner

Pete, BobbyScot won't be able to get to Control Panel as he hasn't got Windows Accessories!
    Bobby, you will need to follow the example to open Control Panel.
    For example, press Windows + R on your keyboard to open the Run window. Then, type “control panel” and hit Enter or press OK.

[​IMG]

11. 2018/01/15
    BobbyScot

For some reason the Control Panel Icon is currently displayed on my monitor screen, clicking Icon opens and is working.
    Annoying part is UTorrent is set to save to Desktop downloads, but fails to do so and saved files can not be found in File Explorer. As it is now, completely under Administrator control but unable to function as before. Too old for this tinkering, just making trouble for myself.

12. 2018/01/15
    retiredlearner

Yes, the old adage of 'KISS' does help when we age ;) I try and operate within the OS software to keep it simple.
    All my Downloads go to the Downloads Folder, Data to Documents, Photos to Pictures.
    You will have to dig around in your "C" drive to locate the info you require.

13. 2018/01/16
    BobbyScot

Any suggestions in seeking help to what is required to look in C drive. In my case, the C drive has only Windows 10 has installed. No third party software titles are included.

14. 2018/01/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Any software that you have installed will be found in their default locations ....

C:\ Program Files for 64 bit applications
    C:\Program Files (x86) for 32 bit applications

You are likely to have both folders if running Windows 10 64 bit.

15. 2018/01/16
    BobbyScot

Checked C drive and both Program Files and File (86). Computer is a 10 64 bit are installed..

16. 2018/01/16
    retiredlearner

What is in UTorrent folder? Has it been saved to 'Cloud'?

17. 2018/01/16
    BobbyScot

I do not use Cloud or is it installed. Prior to computer changing completely to Administrator, UTorrent files where saved to a Download desktop icon. This was abled by UTorrent entry C:\Users\------\Desktop\Downloads. Same Desktop Icon abled save of all online Downloads, this has also ceased, any suggestions as to rectify this error.

18. 2018/01/17
    retiredlearner

What Browser are you using? Edge, IE, FF. You need to check where your Downloads are saved by Default or have you set UTorrent to control that?
    I have never used UTorrent and so I'm really unable to help further. As I said earlier - I keep mine simple.

19. 2018/01/17
    BobbyScot

My browser default set for IE 11. Prior to reset Administrator setting, I had no difficulty in saving downloads to desktop and in UTorrent any downloads when required, where set as in my previous post - no problems until now.

20. 2018/01/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Likewise I have never used UTorrent - I suggest searching for files that you have downloaded - you will need the full file name with extension, i.e. BBS.docx, XYZ.pdf etc.

In File Explorer click on This PC and type the file name into the Search Box - if you don't know the names start another download and make a note of the file name before downloading - then Search for it if it does not appear in Downloads.

21. 2018/01/17
    retiredlearner

Thanks Pete. ;)