1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to change Contacts field names?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by leemce, 2006/08/16.

1. 2006/08/16
    leemce

leemce Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, Is it possible to change the name of a field in Outlook's (2003) Contacts? For example, I would like to have a field to store some particular client information. Also (recognizing that I am an Outlook newbie; fresh in from Eudora) I have followed the instructions for creating a new field but, after doing that, I can't find that the new field actually exists. Any help appreciated.

Lee

Last edited: 2006/08/16
  2. 2006/08/22
    JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Inactive

I have Outlook 2002, but I expect it's similar in 2003.

Go to contacts folder and create a new field (I just tried, calling it Test as a text field; you say you know how to do that)
    when you OK out it shows as an additional column in the contacts folder (if not go back into customize, fields and in the Show Filelds window add it).

To edit the contents, open a particular contact, click the all fields tab, in the drop down box select User defined fields in Folder, it should now appear and you can edit the value (left click onthe value). Then save and close. The text you entered is showin in the field column for that contact.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/22
    leemce

Thanks...but more questions

Thanks for your advice. You are right. When I selected "User defined fields in folder" the ones that I had created did show up. However, if I can carry this 2 steps further:

1. I am trying to import data from another address book into Outlook Contacts and I can do that OK. However, the other address book has some fields that Outlook doesn't have, e.g "FedEx Account." I am able to create a new field in Outlook Contacts called "FedEx Account" and it shows up under the All Fields tab, as you said it would. But it doesn't show up in the list of fields that I can map to when importing contacts. Do you know if there is a way to create field that I can map data to when importing, for example, a .csv file?

2. Do you know if there is any way to have my user-created fields show up on the first view when I click on a particular contact? For example, having my "FedEx Account" field appear on the same page as "name," "company," "email address," etc.?

Sorry if I'm taxing your brain too much. I'm certainly taxing my own!

Thanks again,

Lee

5. 2006/08/22
    JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Inactive

1. Never tried, but used help, search for import a file, in Outlook 2002 I found this:

Import a file from another program or file

To import from Act!, Lotus Organizer, dBase, ECCO, Microsoft Access, Excel, FoxPro, Schedule+, and Microsoft Mail (.mmf)

On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
    Select the type of file to import.
    Click Browse, and then select the file you want to import.
    Select the folder you want the imported data to go into.
    If necessary, map fields from the file you are importing to Outlook fields.
    How?
    Click Map Custom Fields.
    In the From box, drag the field you want to convert onto the Microsoft Outlook field listed in the To box.
    To see additional records in the From box, click Previous or Next.

To remove all mapping, click Clear Map.

To reset the original mapping, click Default Map.

To display additional fields in the To box, click the plus sign (+) next to the field. For example, to display the Business Street and Business City fields, click the + next to Business Address.
    Click OK.

I tried with an Excel file that had some names and addresseses and some other info in columns. First thing I had to do was to create a range name for each column. Close the file in Excel. You can then use the above to map the ranges to the fields in the contacts folder. There seem to be 4 user fields.

I don't think 2. is possible as the GUI seems fixed.

Last edited: 2006/08/22
  6. 2006/08/22
    leemce

Thanks

Yes, you've reached the same hard spot that I did. But I really appreciate the time and thought that you put into it -- very much.

Cheers for you!

Lee