1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to black out information on documents.

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Bigalx58, 2015/07/15.

1. 2015/07/15
    Bigalx58

Bigalx58 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

From time to time, I have to send documents to someone, either by screen shots or by regular email. I have noticed that when other people have done this, especially screen shots, they have blacked out private information on their documents. How is this done? I use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Word. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. 2015/07/15
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Like the attached?

I paste into PAINT that comes with Windows and select a color and then the paint brush.

I then either copy again or save it.

Attached Files:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/15
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

There is another way to do this.

In Paint, you can paste a screenshot, or an image with text, and click on the text icon ( "A" button). Then, you draw a box or rectangle over the desired text with your mouse. Next, hit the space bar one time and choose Opaque (under Text Tools). The recently viewable text now turns blank.

I have used this method many times to sanitize a photo copy of a check and many other important documents. This method makes sensitive data look as if it was never printed to begin with.

Last edited: 2015/07/15
    timmins and lj50 like this.
  5. 2015/07/15
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Bigalx58. Another method you can use to remove important information in Paint, is you can use the Eraser function to erase any evidence that there was any important information much like how James describes except its even easier.

6. 2015/07/15
    Bigalx58

Thanks for your suggestions, but, I'm having a problem pasting docs into Paint. For example when I copy a doc from OpenOffice and then try to paste it into Paint, the doc is not visible. I even tried to paste the doc on my desktop and then paste it into Paint using 'paste from'...the doc is not there. what to do???

7. 2015/07/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2015/07/16
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

That works as described, but I had trouble controlling my mouse between tightly spaced text, so I have been using the text box method for the most part because it gave me better precision.

9. 2015/07/16
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Are you trying to copy the document text / image from an open file, or are you trying to copy and paste a closed file?

I'm not familiar with OpenOffice documents, but in MS Word, I can either paste text, or an image, into Paint, but not both at the same time unless the text / image combination was saved as an image before hand. I assume OpenOffice will publish a document as a pdf. If so, you could save the file as a pdf, open it, and use the built-in snapshot tool to capture the pdf as an image and then paste into Paint. That sounds like a lot of steps, but I couldn't think of anything else at the moment.

Another option would be to use Windows snipping tool on an open document.

Last edited: 2015/07/16
  10. 2015/07/16
    Bigalx58

Thanks Retired Leaner...the Print Screen method worked for me, but the 'copy' method didn't. I haven't posted a screen shot lately...will I be able to use the Print Screen method to enclose a screen shot in my reply? And finally, is there a faster way of deleting 'pictures' from Paint rather than going through 'regedit'? Thanks so much for your help!!

11. 2015/07/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I think you will be able to Delete the image/photo from your 'Picture Library'.
    I stand to be corrected on this but I think that if you "obtain" an image/photo, you Right click on it > Save image as > and you select where you want to save the image to. eg. Downloads/Documents/Pictures/Video Library.
    When you close Paint go to where the image/photo is "Saved" and a Right click on it should open the Menu > Delete is on it.
    There doesn't appear to be a Delete available in Paint so you may need to await further advice from someone more knowledgeable on the subject. Neil.

12. 2015/07/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Not sure if I follow you here.

Are you talking about the Recent Documents / Items list in the start menu? MS Word keeps a recent document list (I think), but I have never seen that option in Paint, although I am not saying it doesn't exist. I use programs like CCleaner to clean out any traces of recent documents without going into the registry. And for sensitive documents, I use a program called Eraser to overwrite the file (35 times) until it becomes unreadable.

I hope I'm on the same page with you here.

13. 2015/07/18
    Bigalx58

I've tried using the regedit method and it's OK for me. A further question re: Paint. Will I be able to use Paint when posting info on screen shot like for BBS, for example? I haven't done many screen shots so I really don't know the ins and outs of them.

14. 2015/07/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Paint works fine for creating screen shots. All you have to do is press the PrtScn key on your keyboard, and Windows will take a snapshot of your current web page, document, etc. The next step is to open Paint and click on the paste button in the upper left-hand corner (on Windows 7 & 8).

Your chosen image will appear, and then you can edit it to your liking. Afterwards, click on the drop-down menu (just above the Paste button) and save your image (preferably as a jpeg) on your desktop or to a folder of your choice.

Here is a link for posting images to the forum...

Here is a more detailed instructional link for using Paint in Windows 7 and 8...

15. 2015/07/18
    Bigalx58

Great suggestions! Thanks to all!!

16. 2015/07/19
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

You're welcome, Bigal. :)