1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

how much force is too much installing memory

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jan roberts, 2007/12/17.

1. 2007/12/17
    jan roberts

jan roberts Inactive Thread Starter

i got 2 1gb memory sticks that i have been trying to install since friday.without any success.
    the instruction sheet says that it can take up to 20 to 30 lbs of pressure in install a module. then futher down it says "if your module doesn't seen to fit,do not force it'
    so the question is just how am i suppose to know if i'm not using enough pressure or it just doesnt fit?:confused:

2. 2007/12/18
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi,

Be careful that moludes you are trying to install are not type DDR2 when your motherboard takes DDR RAM (or DDR when it takes PC133).

It seems like a desktop computer, not a laptop, so match a new module with one of the old ones by holding them side by side or putting the gold connectors together with one reversed against the other. Are the notches in the same location?

Can you replace the old one(s) back in the slot without much trouble? If everything matches, you should be able to use the old one(s) as a guide. You need to put even pressure on both ends or rock them very slightly as you push them down. Make certain the notch is going in over the corresponding bump/key in the slot (or it will be back-to-front).

You should see the clips rise at both ends when they are mostly seated. If both clips are close to vertical, you can gently raise them the rest of the way.

There should be labels on the modules, look for the type (DDR2, DDR, PC133) and check if it is the same type as the old ones (PC133 actually has two notches, DDR and DDR2 only one notch, but in different locations).

Quite good photos here:
    http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/installing_dimm_memory_ram.htm
    Photos and details here:
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_ram.htm

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/12/18
    Techmonkey

Techmonkey Inactive

Just to agree with Mattman, you should need very little force, certainly not 20 - 30lbs of pressure, think og the delicate circuitry in the motherboard that could split and break.

It really should slot in quite easily once you have checked it is the right way round and that the white clips are raised.

5. 2007/12/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

20-30 lbs of pressure is very little pressure at all. For comparison, a 110 lb woman standing in flat sole shoes is exerting 30-40 lbs pressure on the floor. The same woman in 3" heels is exerting 1200 lbs pressure on the heel. A nail into a 2x4 = about 3,000 lbs presure. 30-40 lbs is about right when pushing ram into a slot.

6. 2007/12/18
    Techmonkey

Techmonkey Inactive

lol sorry Tony I am IT not a pressure guy, 20 - 30lbs just sounded like a lot lol.

I suppose the long and short of it is, you don't need to push too hard :)

7. 2007/12/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I guess you have never dated a 110 lb woman wearing spiked heels!

8. 2007/12/18
    jan roberts

sorry guys forgot to mention that the sticks are an upgrade kit from dell. they look like the pair of 256's with the one slot and i checked and there is only one whatever for the slot to fit over.
    friend of mind said that i should get old computer and practice on that,she said that i was scared and i agree. i have inside computer phobia.
    but i still cant get the stick seated back in the computer. so now i have 2 computers with no memories.
    do you know how frustrating that is? i know where they go,know how they fit and i can not get those stupid little clips to snap like they should. getting :mad:

9. 2007/12/18
    jan roberts

omg,omg i did it got memory sticks in both computers and no beeps no beeps on the dell and my belarc show 2 1024mb sticks
    yay:D:
    thanks for your help. omg omg yay
    my friend really helped me when i called her whining that i had 2 computers with no memory she mainly walked me though the process,rocking gently,etc,etc and when i got the older computer back in it. and stay on phone listening to me mutter cuss,whine etc when i got to adell's sticks. i thanked her and im thanking you again.

Last edited: 2007/12/18
  10. 2007/12/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well done!
    I recall the first time I ever installed ram. I was nervous because I did not have any judgement on how delicate or how strong a motherboad ram slot is. Now I'm not fully satisfied until I hear/feel a good sharp click when the ram gets seated!

11. 2007/12/19
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Last week, I assembled a BOAC for a friend's son. I installed the processor, heatsink and RAM before installing the motherboard into the case. I had to use a higher than usual force to get the Kingston ValueRam seated in the slots in the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. I had to get adequate support to prevent flexing. There must be some manufacturing tolerances. A RAM module that is at the wide end of tolerance and a RAM slot that is on the narrow end of tolerance surely would produce a tight fit.

Christer

12. 2007/12/19
    Chiles4

Chiles4 Inactive

IMHO, in the olden days it used to take alot more pressure to install RAM than it does today - probably due to better quality. On my very first mainboard back in '96 or '97, I snapped one of the closure tabs off the end of the socket - maybe it was in the closed position when I installed it.

My technique is to brace both sides of the RAM stick with opposing fingers in two places. This prevents the force you apply from making the stick go off-kilter and snap itself or the socket.

It's a little too touchy-feely for my liking as you end touching the PCB, the RAM chips and the chip leads so touch the bare metal of your case first to discharge and ESD. Well at least with "standard" RAM you do - with fancier RAM you end up touching the heatsinks.