1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How do you restore all the settings to default in word 2007?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Doron, 2008/05/29.

1. 2008/05/29
    Doron

Doron Inactive Thread Starter

Hi

I have office ultimate 2007, in word 2007 I was trying to see how to reset all the settings for example page size, font size etc. I wanted all the default settings that came when I first installed it. Couldn't see how to do it, so I reinstalled office ultimate 2007 and when opening word 2007 I found all the settings are still the same and have not been reset to the default settings.

Would anyone please be able to tell me how to restore all the settings to default in word 2007?

Many thanks

Doron

2. 2008/05/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

In all previous versions of Word, you can delete the default template called Normal.dot . The file gets recreated the next time you open Word.

I'm fairly certain Word 2007 uses the file called Normal.dotm

Another option is to create a new Template with the settings you want.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/05/29
    Doron

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response

I did a search for that file name and the following files were found:

Normal
    Normal11
    NormalEmail

No files ending in .dotm

These files were in application data \ Microsoft \ templates

I moved all 3 to the desktop then opened Word and the default settings have not appeared

Just to note these 3 files are word documents and when you click each of them a blank page opens in Word

Hope I’ve done this correct!

Any ideas?

Thanks Doron

5. 2008/05/29
    Bilb0

Bilb0 Inactive

normal.dotm is indeed the file you want to delete.

Judgeing by the list of files you mentioned, I would bet that you do not have explorer set to show file extensions for known file types.

If you enable that option in explorer, then you'll nost likely find that the search result "normal" is indeed normal.dotm.

6. 2008/05/30
    Doron

Hi

Thank you for the above info, I have found the normal.dotm file and I understand now the purpose of that file and what it does!

However could I just ask what I need to do to get everything in Word 2007 back to its original state as it was when it was first installed.

I have reinstalled ultimate 2007 with the CD and I have also carried out a repair through add and remove programs.

Each time I try something to see if Word has gone back to its original state, in Word I go to "mailings" then "envelopes" and I can see text that I filled in originally for the delivery address field box.

Many thanks for your time in giving me help

Regards

Doron