1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How do I program the function keys on a Dell Enhanced Multimedia keyboard?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Roger at CCCC, 2005/01/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/30
    Roger at CCCC

Roger at CCCC Inactive Thread Starter

How do I program the function keys on a Dell Enhanced Multimedia keyboard?

When I right click a desktop icon, then click on properties, then select Shortcut Key, then press F12, it appears to be initialized. F12 appears in the Shortkey field. But then when I exit and press F12 nothing happens. Adding Ctrl, Alt, the Windows key, or any combination of those keys also does nothing. So how can I program the function keys to do something?

I’m using a relatively new Dell Dimension 2400 with a Dell Enhanced Multimedia keyboard which works properly in all other ways.

I realize that this is a basic question, but I have searched the forums and various help screens without finding an answer, or even any reference to the function keys.

Thanks for any response.

2. 2005/01/31
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi Roger,

Run your Dell CD and see if there may be certain programs/drivers for it. Also check at the Dell website for "updated" drivers.

Matt
    Edit: you may have to remove the old keyboard in Device Manager for the new drivers to be installed.

Last edited: 2005/01/31

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/01
    Roger at CCCC

Thanks Matt for your reply. As far as I can tell, there are no new keyboard drivers that I ought to have and don't. My Dell CD doesn't seem to have any relevant information either. I am aware that MS Powertools TweakUI will reprogram the special purpose keys on my keyboard and that does work on those keys but TweakUI doesn't handle the function keys apparently.

What am I missing here? I would think that reprogramming function keys would be a common activity since that's what function keys are for, but I can't find much discussion about it. Is there some obvious solution that I have overlooked? or doesn't anybody really do this? All I want to do is to assign a shortcut to a function key when the desktop is displayed. Thanks again for any comments.

I'm using a Dell Dimension 2400, Windows XP SP2, and Dell Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard Part number 3R302.

Last edited: 2005/02/01
  5. 2005/02/01
    maggie

maggie Inactive

6. 2005/02/01
    Roger at CCCC

Thanks, Maggie, this is in fact the correct keyboard, and the description of its functions is accurate, but, as I said, nothing is said about reprogramming the function keys (or the Hot Keys for that matter), so I am still mistified by the whole situation.

7. 2005/02/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Just a thought - M$ keyboards have a Control Panel Applet - have you looked there?

8. 2005/02/01
    Mudd

Mudd Inactive

Dell has their own help files in the PC, unless someone has removed them. Suggest you Click Help and if you get "Dell Help and Support Center" they are still there. Offers you many options for help. Type in the space at the upper left, Dell ---- ------ Keyboard, then click "Search All Options." You may find help there.

Mudd,
  9. 2005/02/01
    Roger at CCCC

thanks, Pete, for your response. My keyboard is a
    Dell Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard Part number 3R302. which is NOT a Microsoft keyboard, I guess, although maybe electronically it's the same. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a Control Panel Applet. when I click on Control Panel - Keyboard - Hardware - Properties, there is nothing there about function keys (or any other keys for that matter.) Would there be someplace else to look?

10. 2005/02/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I was suggesting that your Dell keyboard might have a Control Panel Applet (you found it - 'Keyboard') similar to that for an MS keyboard in which there is some scope for reprogramming some of the function keys.

If there is no tab for keys in your Keyboard applet then I would suggest that it is not possible to reprogram the keys.

From the link posted above ....

Dell Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard

This product is a Soft Touch keyboard featuring tactile switch technology and a small footprint enclosure. The keyboard features 8 pre-programmed (Not programmable - my edit) Hot Keys, an Audio Control Pad and Audio Volume Knob to control media functions.

11. 2005/02/01
    maggie

maggie Inactive

It says the hot keys aren't programmable. So I guess you can't go any further with it. It seems to have a bunch of keys programed already. I have an old Microsoft Keyboard Pro has USB ports on it also. I haven't used all the keys yet. I'm a mouse person. I'm lost without all the buttons and wheel.

12. 2005/02/01
    Roger at CCCC

Thanks for your comments.

Microsoft (free) PowerTools TweakUI DOES allow the reprogramming of the Hot Keys, regardless of what Dell says. I've tried it and it works. But it doesn't seem able to do the Function Keys (F1-F12), which is what I was trying to find out about.

Also, the Dell Help and Support facility has rarely answered any question that I have had. When I enter "keyboard" in the search, a number of hits are returned, but none of them seem relevant.

Maybe this is really a Microsoft or Windows question, not a Dell question?????

Thanks again for your suggestions - I just don't understand why such a simple function is not obvious.

13. 2005/02/02
    Roger at CCCC

Problem solved (mostly)!!

Silly me - I thought all the function keys would behave the same way. In fact, when I right click a desktop icon, then click on Properties, then select Shortcut Key, then press ANY FUNCTION KEY OTHER THAN F12, the system works properly: the Function Key takes me to the shortcut when I press it while the desktop is being displayed. This works on all the function keys EXCEPT for F12, which was the only function key that I tested. So if I had tested any other function key, there would not have been any problem. I still don’t know why Shortcut Keys will NOT work on F12, but I can live with that. Thanks to all who responded or thought about this question. Sorry I didn’t test further initially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.