1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How do I know if this video card will work with no issues in my PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by magenta, 2017/06/13.

1. 2017/06/13
    magenta

magenta Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My current video card (in a system I had a local shop build 5 1/2 years ago) has failed and I'm looking to replace it with this:

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP!, ZT-P10600B-10M, 6GB GDDR5

How do I know if it will work in my current PC with no issues:

* Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V DDR3 AVL ATX
    * Current/failed video card: Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2G 100312-3SR
    * PSU: Cooler Master RS600 600W

From the right-click properties of my computer:

* Intel Core i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz
    * 8 GB RAM
    * Running Windows 7 Service Pack 1

From the GTX 1060 product photo it looks like it will install the same as my Sapphire, though I don't see where the PSU connects to the GTX 1060. You can see where the power connects on the bottom right of this photo on the failed Sapphire (the P4 and P5 cables).

Is it going to be exactly the same on the new GTX 1060? I've completely taken my Sapphire out a couple times and tried it in a different expansion slot during my troubleshooting time so no problems or questions there.

I obviously don't know much about PC hardware, I'm just looking to get a new video card and easily drop it in my current PC with zero learning curve/issues. You know, new video card for dummies type of thing.

2. 2017/06/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That should work OK in your Asus Motherboard. Make sure you completely uninstall/remove the previous graphics drivers before you install the new drivers for this card. (Info is in Chapter 6 of my Asus Manual.)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/06/14
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Concur with retiredlearner. See no problems.

5. 2017/06/14
    magenta

magenta Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Dumb question, but how do you know it should work with no problems? What do you use to determine this (specs/features)? Or on the flip side, maybe what do you look for that tells you it wouldn't work or would be possible red flags?

6. 2017/06/14
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

The only thing we need is the power supply capacity. Rest of the components don't matter. You have a 600 W power supply, which should be ok.

7. 2017/06/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The motherboard can handle CrossFireX Technology. (should be in your Asus owner Manual). This is usually 2 (two) matched graphic cards which allows multiple monitors and better gaming. As rsinfo stated, your PSU has to deliver the power to run your comps needs and 600w should handle 1 card - no sweat.