1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How do I get past 'Something Happened' message

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by arthur277, 2015/08/21.

1. 2015/08/21
    arthur277

arthur277 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool for 32 bit Windows 10 on a Windows 7 computer and logged in as administrator as requested by the Tool. I got a blue window with that rotating set of dots, then the message 'Something Happened' and a failure code 0x80070002-0x20016.

Windows Help does not seem to recognise this failure code.

Can you help, Arie?

2. 2015/08/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi arthur277, What do you want to do? Do you want to use a USB or DVD disc to run W10?
    Shut down and Reboot your comp and open Control Panel > Windows Update > and see if W10 is ready to download/install. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/21
    arthur277

Thanks for the very quick reply, retiredlearner.

I want to create an ISO on a Flash Drive, that I will also burn to DVD as I have several PCs that I may want to upgrade to Windows 10. I am presently using a network PC at work, and it has the little white MS emblem on the task bar. I log in as an administrator and am using a newly formatted NTFS 8 GB Flash Drive.

5. 2015/08/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I've had no experience using a Network. Have you had a look in Windows Update to see if W10 Upgrade is there ready to download/install?
    You don't need to Format a USB thumb drive as the MCT will install and wipe anything on the drive according to info on MS FAQ page.
    It may be necessary to do this from a dedicated connection. Neil.

6. 2015/08/21
    arthur277

In this case why have Microsoft offered a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. According to the blurb it is so that one copy of Windows 10, either for 32 or 64 bit can be downloaded and then put on a Flash Drive or DVD and used with the PC's individual Product Key to carry out the installation.

I am also very worried that the installation of Windows 10, like all past upgrades, will wipe out all my programs and files. In fact the more I read about Windows 10 and how little authority owners will have, the more I am likely to remain with Windows 7. I just thought I would try it on ONE of my PCs at home and install it on a separate partition, if that is possible of course.

7. 2015/08/21
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

8. 2015/08/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

AFAIK that is not possible - Win 10 is an upgrade for Win7/8.

If you want to make a clean install on an empty partition I think you will need to purchase a retail DVD. Note that you can roll back to the OS you upgraded within 15 days of upgrading - AFAIK

9. 2015/08/21
    arthur277

Thanks for the advice guys. I came home and put the flash drive in my PC and it worked fine, downloaded and installed Windows 10 and seems to have kept all my files and programs (apps - yeuk!).

You are right about being able to roll back to Windows 7, PeteC, but my screen said 30 days grace! I have seen nothing about entering my Product key - is that yet to come? My Win 7 is validated.

I think there may have been a problem with the fact that I was using a work network computer, because the same copy of the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool worked fine at home.

So far Windows 10 is very similar to Windows 7 - a bit more bland in the colour department but I do miss my Gadgets - Seems to me that whenever I find something I LIKE and actually USE, it is taken away.

PS One more question: Why do I ALWAYS have to log in to this BBS twice? The first login is always rejected with an 'illegal redirect'?

10. 2015/08/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Your upgrade to 10 is automatically activated - no product key is required.