1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How do I find (so I can copy) SB drivers?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by chas berlin, 2010/05/24.

1. 2010/05/24
    chas berlin

chas berlin Inactive Thread Starter

Setting up a new HD and need to locate the driver for my sound card. (Can't find it on the Creative Labs site, as it's an older card. When I do a download the driver doesn't match.)
    Looked in Device Mgr at Creative Audigy driver details and there is a list of over 30 drivers.
    Can't set up the new HD w/out the driver or I'll have no sound.

2. 2010/05/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Chas,

Any idea what the make and model of YOUR audigy sound card is?

Need too know this specifics to download the correct drivers. If you don't, either pull the card and look for information on the card or try this:
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It may ID card.

Creatiive has all kinds of drivers available for Audigy from the older to the newer.
    http://support.creative.com/Products/product_list.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster#

Once I know the make and model, I'd be happy to help you locate and find drivers for it.

Last edited: 2010/05/24
    chas berlin likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/05/24
    chas berlin

Hi Ann,
    It's been a while.
    I tried that. Pulled the card and went to the creative Labs site w/ the exact card #, and downloaded the driver, but got a message saying the driver did not match. That was a bit back, so I no longer have the id#. Would have to shut down and pull that card again.
    I'll be back in about 3 hrs.

5. 2010/05/25
    chas berlin

Ann,
    Belarc only came back w/ this generic...Creative SB Audigy

6. 2010/05/25
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

chas,
    you can't copy the driver. The installer creates entries in the registry and there are more than a single file installed ... :eek: ... you won't find it all.

7. 2010/05/25
    chas berlin

Thx Christer.
    Not the answer I wanted, but the truth anyway.
    What would you suggest, as I can't set up a HD w/out sound.

8. 2010/05/25
    Christer

Is there a problem with the old drive or are you upgrading to a bigger one? If no problems, you can clone the old to the new. Check with the manufacturer if they have a freeware cloning utility or go google on it.

If you want a fresh start on the new drive, a new "basic" sound card is cheap.

9. 2010/05/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello all,

Sorry....

I guess this my misunderstanding. I thought you just needed an xp compatible install package of your current sound card, "Creative Sound Blaster Audigy ".

Now I'm not sure what it is your looking for or need to do. :eek: :confused:

I will step back and let Christer take over.

Just in case :
    Everest may Id card or your just going to have to pull and check the card.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Or possibly:
    crative labs autoupdater tool

Last edited: 2010/05/25
  10. 2010/05/25
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

I have one of them useless Audigy cards and have spent hours trying drivers for it, but have never managed to find one that works with the card.

11. 2010/05/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Just pull the card and get ALL the relevant info needed. I never had any issues getting SB drivers and installing them, unless the SB card came from an OEM like Dell or HP, or other comp manufacturer. SB makes chip sets used on branded cards and the only drivers that will work with them are the drivers supplied by the comp maker.

12. 2010/05/25
    Christer

Ann, for goddez sake ... :p ... don't leave me alone! It was indicated in the thread title that chas wanted to copy the drivers from the old installation to the new. I only informed him that it can't be done. Identifying the card and finding the drivers is at the top of the "to do list ". Cloning the HDD or buying a new sound card is way down.

13. 2010/05/25
    scout321x Contributing Member

scout321x Inactive

You might try SIW to see if it will ID the card. Here is the link to SIW: click Here

14. 2010/05/25
    chas berlin

Strange as usual.
    Everest (SIW) showed nothing for the sound card. Info for everything else, but nothing for the SB.
    Here's what I got from the Creative site (Note the error message at the end):

Creative Software Auto Update Information
    Last Updated: October 8th, 2008
    Summary:

* General Introduction to Creative Software AutoUpdate tool
    * Recent Updates and Fixes to the Creative Software AutoUpdate tool
    * Please obtain the AutoUpdate tool

General Information

Creative Software AutoUpdate is an intelligent software upgrade tool designed to make software updates for your Creative products easy and efficient. This is just one of the ways we ensure that you always get maximum performance for your Creative products.

AutoUpdate automatically detects Creative products and software installed on your PC and determines whether your PC contains the latest versions of Creative software and drivers. When updates are available, AutoUpdate will provide you with a listing of essential, critical, and recommended updates to download and install on your PC.

Creative AutoUpdate uses a small, downloadable module. This module is an ActiveX control that runs only this specific task. It will not self-activate in the future unless you initiate the Creative Software AutoUpdate program, in which case the same file will be used without having to download it again, unless a newer version is available. If you wish to delete the file once the AutoUpdate process is complete, simply locate the program file "Creative Software AutoUpdate" from the Internet Explorer. From the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, choose Manage Add-ons, then select Enable or Disable Add-ons. Select show Download ActiveX Controls (32-bit). A list should appear. Choose “Creative Software AutoUpdate” and press Delete.

To protect your privacy, Creative Software Web AutoUpdate does not record personal information. Only Creative products installed in your system, including basic computer configuration are detected during the system inspection and analysis stage. None of this information is used by Creative for any other purpose.
    ActiveX Control Bug in Auto Update Engine

The current ActiveX module contains a buffer overflow security vulnerability. This vulnerability may cause a remote code execution in the work station of the logged-in user and cause malicious transfers of data as a result of payload from the bug.

When referring to a payload, it is material transmitted over a network, either by computer or telecommunications network, which includes both data and information that identifies the source and destination of the material. The payload is the actual data carried by the headers.
    The Resolution

Creative developers are rectifying the issue and a fix is scheduled to be released as soon as possible. The software auto update application will be updated to address this vulnerability.

Once the new copy is ready and uploaded, users will see an update to their Software Update ActiveX object, on the Internet Explorer as a new "Creative Software AutoUpdate" module for installation.
    Further Suggestions
    Error: "some components in your Sound Blaster audigy 2 are corrupted" during Creative Software AutoUpdate

15. 2010/05/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Chas,

:rolleyes:
    I should have known better but ever the optimist, I was hoping a program could be used for card ID. While creatives autoupdater was ID progress in describing you card as Audigy 2, there are 6 different models of Audigy 2.

There is no shortcuts when you want them, :mad: going to have to pull the card. How to ID the card:
    http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=46261

16. 2010/05/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Just anothet thought:
    Some driver packages leave the actuall install dir and all needed files somewhere on the comp after the drivers get unpacked from the executable. Search the temp dirs and the root dir.

17. 2010/05/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

18. 2010/05/25
    chas berlin

Hi Ann,
    Pulled the card and it is an SB0090
    The chip said Audigy SB1394
    Serial # M80090220187383
    A sticker on the card said, 6002172
    Wh:eek:ew!

19. 2010/05/25
    chas berlin

And as to the error message, the card works fine, so I'm not sure what to think.
    The issue is duplicating the driver(s) on a new drive.

20. 2010/05/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Here's the install package:
    Type model # sb0090 in the All Downloads type search line, located just below the picture
    http://support.creative.com/Downloads/searchdownloads.aspx

Or more directly:
    http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=11314

There you go again, :confused: I'm still not sure what you are wishing to do. The statement
    If, by the above statement, you mean install card drivers, an install/setup package will have to be done.

You can extract this to a folder (name of choice) and when board is detected point it to the extracted folder.

21. 2010/05/25
    chas berlin

Ann, I'm setting up a new HD. But when I attempted this a month ago I had no sound, as the downloaded driver (from Creative for SB0090) did not match the card, so I had to revert to the orig HD.
    Did I mention the word Frustration???? :eek::mad: