1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

'Homegroup' Icon?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Davezilla, 2012/09/01.

1. 2012/09/01
    Davezilla

Davezilla Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been experimenting with Hotmail's successor 'Outlook' & Skydrive of late & I noticed an icon appeared on my desktop called 'Homegroup'. I'm guessing it has something to do with some form of Microsoft file sharing. It disappeared for a couple of days, but now has mysteriously re-appeared. :eek:

I have scanned my PC & I am pretty sure it isn't malware.

Has anyone else found this icon (see jpeg) on their desktop recently?

Attached Files:

2. 2012/09/01
    Davezilla

I just switched the PC off & then realised I needed to copy some files. On boot-up the enigmatic Homegroup icon has disappeared (again)! :confused:

Oh, so that's what it is! Well, my other computers aren't running Win 7, so that's not too much help to me. I think that it is strange that 18 months or so after I had this computer built for me that this icon has only started to appear/disappear recently. :eek:

Last edited: 2012/09/02

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/09/03
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

As far as I would know...you have "turned on" this Homegroup option.

Try searching in Help and Support for how it works and in particular, how to turn it off.

5. 2012/09/03
    Davezilla

Thanks for the reply. I have a strange feeling that this is linked somehow to Microsoft's changing of Hotmail to Outlook. Outlook is essentially a beta still I believe. I don't use Hotmail much so I upgraded to Outlook as I thought I will have to inevitably anyway. I also use Skydrive sometimes. It seems to appear/disappear after experimenting with the new Skydrive format.

The icon has disappeared again of late. I may ask on Microsoft Answers.

Dave

6. 2012/09/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I also use Outlook.com for email, but I doubt this can be responsible for the appearance of the icon.

Check Network and Sharing Center in your control panel to see if you are using a HomeGroup.

Did you use a 3rd party program to "optimize/customize" Windows 7? User have reported this issue with some.

Arie,
  7. 2012/09/03
    Davezilla

Yeah, I suppose it is a bit of a longshot. Skydrive is a bit glitchy of late though. I'm pretty sure the icon only appears when I have used Skydrive.

See attached thumbnails. AFAIK I haven't used a homegroup. Only one computer in my house actually uses Win 7. The others run Vista.

Definitely not. The icon is no longer visible on the desktop anyway.

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: 2012/09/03
  8. 2012/09/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I've had no problems with SkyDrive. That's not to say there haven't been any glitches, its just that I haven't experienced any.

Hard to pin down an issue like this.

Arie,
  9. 2012/09/03
    Davezilla

I have a feeling that as I was experimenting with opening folders, particularly the 'Public' & 'Shared Favourites', which as you can see from the thumbnail, I don't actually use, it may have triggered some response & produced the icon. When I actually opened the icon it seemed to be a prompt to start to use Homegroup. That's all I can think of anyway.

Thanks for answering though. :)

Attached Files: