1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

HKCU files...Where are they?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MinnesotaMike, 2005/06/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/12
    MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Geek Member Thread Starter

I was looking through my startup tab in msconfig and I noticed that there is an entry that has no name or command. All that is listed is the location of the item. The location is HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. I have tried looking for this, but I can't find it. I'm sure it's just something small that I am missing. Can somebody tell me how to find this bugger? It seems strange to me that there would be no other information about this startup item. FWIW, I have no unusual system problems or activity on my WinXP system. I just noticed the item and was wondering about it.

Thanks!

Mike

2. 2005/06/12
    purplemtn

purplemtn Inactive

They are part of the Registry..Be VERY careful if you do anything to it , do a search for Regedit/registry for more infomation..

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/12
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I think you may have some item in that registry Key that has no Value String information and is merely taking up space. That's no big deal, you can delete it or leave it as you choose. Always export any Key you plan on deleting, to be safe.

5. 2005/06/12
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Did you look in the registry under the (hkey)folder and subfolders until you get to the run folder. Anything on the right hand side of this?

HKCU\
    SOFTWARE\
    Microsoft\
    Windows\
    CurrentVersion\
    Run

NOTE* hkcu is hkey_current_user

As for myself I have an msconfig blank entry also. This is from my Ati launchpad (T.v. card). I disabled it from showing or running as a startup. The key is registry dredge with a blank value. As Suferdude said I could delete it but since I know what it is, I chose to ignore it.

Last edited: 2005/06/12
  6. 2005/06/12
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Hey Mike! ~Dave waves hello~

Paste this command on the run line and hit enter. It will create C:\run.txt and we can all see what the entry is (if you post it). :D

regedit.exe /e c:\run.txt "HKEY_Current_User\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "

7. 2005/06/12
    MinnesotaMike

Thanks for all the responses! I will do some further looking and post what I find.

Mike

8. 2005/06/12
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Just an after-thought Mike. If that entry is unchecked in msconfig it won't be under the run key. Look instead under run minus (run-)

9. 2005/06/12
    MinnesotaMike

Goddez1,

This is the only things listed for the key you gave me:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    Sonic RecordNow! REG_SZ

Dave,

This is what the txt file shows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Sonic RecordNow! "=" "

I assume that Sonic RecordNow is what that entry is for. Am I correct? If so, it's okay that it's running. I just didn't want it to be something I didn't want. Thanks for the info!

Mike

10. 2005/06/12
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Yep, that should be the entry. But I rather doubt it runs at startup, with no data to tell it what to start. Normally, there would be a path to the executable. Without the data, as noted above by SD2, it's just a dead entry taking up space. ;)

11. 2005/06/13
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

In other words Mike,
    Leave it or delete it from the registry (after using the precaution which should become a routine habit, of exporting that particular key, prior to a change or edit). In this case, you as I had with my T.V. lauchpad toolbar, probably disabled this from a windows systray startup, from within the programs properties. The key was leftover. Should you ever decide to re-enable this Sonic thingy at startup (yuck!) the key and value will be reproduced when needed. No big deal, the choice is yours.

12. 2005/06/13
    MinnesotaMike

Thanks. Another mystery solved. I'll just things alone since it isn't doing anything and not taking up much space. I'm sure I have other useless stuff that is taking up more space. :eek:

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.