1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

HELP!!! System properties/Performance Part 1

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Cindyz, 2003/09/23.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/09/23
    Cindyz

Cindyz Inactive Thread Starter

I had to replace my hard drive. My brother-in-law had given us a computer, so I took the hard drive from it and installed it in my computer. When I right click my computer and click on properties and under performance it says, "Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance"
    I highlighted it and clicked details, this is what it says:

Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.
    Because Windows could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version.
    For the second message:
    This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows does not recognize and that is related to the message Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance message first.
    If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real-mode) driver, which may reduce that drive’s performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the drive’s performance may be less than optimal, but you can still use it.

2. 2003/09/27
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.