1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Hard drive not recognizing full capability

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Lis171, 2003/05/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/05/11
    Lis171

Lis171 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi all, my problem is a Maxtor 80GB slave drive *named drive F* that a friend installed for me a few months ago. I use the drive to back up files I would never want to lose in the case of a Drive C HD crash. In any event, It only recognizes 7.82GB, even though it's an 80GB drive! It hasn't really bugged me that much, since it is a slave drive, and for the files and folders I use to backup..7.82 is more than enough...BUT...It is an 80GB drive, so the computer geek in me wants to know if there is a way to get my computer to recognize all 80GB. :) Thanks in advance.

2. 2003/05/12
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

It isn't the hard drive that is not recognizing itself. It's either your OS, or your Motherboard BIOS that is not seeing it. Or, all but 7.82GB of that drive is designated as unallocated space somehow. There could be any number of reasons for this.

What OS are you running, & can you give us the name of, & a few specifications on your motherboard? Also how old is the motherboard?

Does your computer recognize all of your 20GB hard drive?

Do you have it set to auto detect the hard drives in your Standard BIOS setup?

Last edited: 2003/05/12

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/05/13
    Lis171

Thanks for the reply. I'm running Windows 98SE, and here is my system info from Norton System Works.

Processor -GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 8 599 MHz Stepping 1
    Math Support -On Chip
    BIOS- Phoenix Technologies 02/08/00
    Bus types -PCI,ISA,AGP,USB
    Ports -1 Parallel, 1 Serial
    Memory -512 MB (43% Utilized)
    Floppy Disks -1.44mb
    Hard disks- 19.01 GB, 74.56 GB
    Multimedia -Sound, CD-ROM
    Video - 1024x768 in 32-Bit Color, 32MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS (Dell) Ver. 4.13.01.1210
    Windows -4.10 (Build 2222 A )
    DOS -7.10

I listed all of this to see if it can help you with an answer. I'm kind of a novice computer wise, especially when it comes to Hardware. I bought this computer back in Feb 2000, so I am assuming that's how old my motherboard is. As for the 20GB drive..which is the drive that came with this computer..yes..all 20GB's are recognized.

As for your questions about having it set to auto detect the hard drives in my Standard BIOS setup, where would I find that to look? I'm sure it's right in front of my face..and have seen it a million times..LOL

Last edited: 2003/05/13
  5. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

OK, I will try my best to help. I am by no means a Guru, but do know a few things. :)

Did you buy the computer brand new, or used? Did the person that installed your 80G use a hard drive overlay program when they installed it? If so, that could be causing a problem, if it wasn't done properly. I have never used an overlay program, and will never use one.

98SE will recognize a hard drive that big. I have 98SE, & an 80GB slave, so it probably is not the initial fault of your OS. Something else is keeping it from it.
    It looks like your BIOS is probably new enough, but I am not sure, so go get this little tool, & install it & it should tell you more about your BIOS, & probably the name of your Motherboard as well. System works does not list some important stuff here, although it does list a lot of things.

Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

After installing Belarc, run it, & look for these:

System Model should tell you the name of your Motherboard.

Main Circuit Board should tell you the board number, BUS clock, & BIOS type & number, & Date of release.

Drives will list your main drives. The drives list should look something like this, depending on how many you have.

98.16 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    80.11 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CREATIVE CD5233E-N [CD-ROM drive]
    LITE-ON LTR-16102B [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5 ")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (24.87 GB) -- drive 0
    Generic IDE hard disk drive (73.29 GB) -- drive 1

Drive 0 being your 20GB. Drive 1 being your 80GB. The reason my drive sizes don't add up is because I have multiple bootable hidden OS's, and Belarc doesn't see the hidden primary partitions. :)

Then look for Local Drive Volumes. This will list all of the alocated partitions on both of your drives. Unalocated space does not have a drive letter for it to recognize, so it may not list any unalocated space. Please post all of this information in a reply.

Here it would seem that System works is seeing all of both drives. I am wondering why System works seems to see the whole 74.56GB drive, which is normal for a so-called 80GB drive, but Windows only sees 7.82GB. This is indeed curious. I am thinking that for some reason most of the drive has been partitioned off into unalocated space. Why, I would not know. If that is the case, your 98SE will not see the unalocated space. Fixing this could require a third party software, or going into DOS. I must confess that I don't know much about typing in DOS commands at all. I just know how to re-install the OS in floppy DOS. If that's what you call it.:D Of course, all data that is on it would need to be saved onto your main drive before doing this in case disaster struck in an attempt to fix it in DOS.

Since you are as you say a novice about computers, & especially hardware, it is wise to try to take this very slow and easy. Try to find the culprit, & fix it, without drastic measures, if at all possible.:)

I have never used the following utility, because I have a different one, but I've seen it reccommended several times. It's free. The one I have is not. It should tell you if there is unalocated space on that drive that can be mainstreamed into usable drive space. If it does not see the rest of the drive as partitions, or as unalocated space, then likely the drive has had most of it left as invisable while in DOS during drive installation, or by having used a hard drive overlay program incorrectly when the drive was installed, and it will be a bit tough to fix. If it does see it\them as partitions, or unalocated space, then what could be happening is the additional unalocated space, or partitions are not being recognized because, somehow, Windows has not been told to see the additional partitions. If the last scenerio is the case, this utility should, hopefully, with a little work, solve the problem.

Ranish Partition Manager: http://www.ranish.com/part/

I know this is all a bit confusing, and I am not sure if I am explaining it just right. It's always easier to do something than it is to explain it. At least for me it is.:)

As for the Standard BIOS setup, that is hidden, and is accessed a certain way when you boot up. So, no, you haven't seen it a million times. :) It probably is set to auto-detect, so we will not get into that right now. Only if necessary, because it is a tricky area, not easily understood, & can be messed up with little effort. Let's try these other things first, & see what they tell us, then proceed from there, unless someone else has a better, easier, suggestion, which would be welcomed with open arms. :)

6. 2003/05/13
    Lis171

Deloris, thank you so much for that informative reply. To answer your questions, I bought this computer brand spanking new back in 2/2000. As for 'overlay program' do you mean software that came with the drive to install it? A friend put it in for me, and had mentioned something about there being software with it but nothing was ever done about it. *I'm not even sure it's the software that would have anything to do with the drive LOL* As for Belarc, I have used it before :) I will post the results of what you brought you up..and maybe you will be able to see something. I will brb to edit this post..after I run it.

Ok..here it is:
    System Model -Dell Computer Corporation XPST600

Processor- 600 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board - Board: Intel Corporation SE440BX-3 AA722396-300
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

Drives -20.41 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    13.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5 ")
    IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] -- drive 255
    MAXTOR 6 L080J4 [Hard drive] (8.40 GB) -- drive 1
    WDC WD20 4BA [Hard drive] (20.41 GB) -- drive 0

Local Drive Volumes - c: (on drive 0) 20.41 GB 13.00 GB free

It says nothing about the volume of the Maxtor 80 GB, if you notice. Hmmm..could that be a key to the problem?

7. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

Yes, that is what it means. Are you sure the software was never used? And yes, it would have something to do with it if not used properly. I've never done it, but have known of those who have, & from what I understand, the least mistake can mess things up.
    OK, this would seem to be Dell's special order Motherboard, made by Intel which I know nothing about, & will have to try to look up the specifications for.
    You are correct. Belarc is not seeing an 80GB drive at all, but does seem to be seeing an 8.40GB in one place as physically present, but not in the other place as available hard drive space. Are you sure it's supposed to be an 80GB drive? This is very strange. Does the slave drive show a drive letter in My Computer?

Did you get the partition manger I mentioned? If not, go ahead & get it, & install it, and see what it tells you. Post back on that.

In the meantime, I will try to find what info I can on the Motherboard, & the Maxtor Drive, if I can beat my husband to the telephone line after business hours.:)

8. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

It's beginning to storm here, and I may have to shut down for awhile. Will get back as soon as I can.

Any help anyone else can give out there who knows something about Dell computers would be appreciated.

9. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

OK, here is a link that will tell you about the hard drive. Down toward the bottom of the page are links on specifications & troubleshooting. You will need Acrobat Reader on your computer.

It is an 80GB by the way. Dummy me, the model number should have told me that. Guess I just wasn't thinking.:D

If you have a hard drive manual in the HD box, that would be easier.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/ata/desktop/diamondmax_plus_d740x_ultra_ata_133/index.htm

Will post back on the Motherboard later.

10. 2003/05/13
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I have just scanned thru this thread quickly.

My first question would be.

Why is the slave drive * named F: * and only a C: drive is mentioned.

IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] -- drive 255
    MAXTOR 6 L080J4 [Hard drive] (8.40 GB) -- drive 1
    WDC WD20 4BA [Hard drive] (20.41 GB) -- drive 0

If only C: does exist then the new drive should be D: ( at least I think so )

Could the ZIP drive be creating the problem ?

And overlay is only needed if the BIOS does not see the full capacity of the drive. And if an overlay is installed there should be a message asking to boot from the HD or Floppy. ( I think that is correct )

There should be no need for an overlay. If one was install it may only create problems.

Are the jumpers set correctly for the location of the new drive.

It looks to me that the problem is right in either the BIOS or jumper settings. Or maybe cable.

From Deloris
    OK, this would seem to be Dell's special order Motherboard, made by Intel

If this is indeed true you may be SOL when it comes to adding anything. They are usually built to accept the original hardware and nothing else. ( I could be wrong but I have known that to be the case )

Is the BIOS location for the new drive set to AUTO or user ? I believe it should be AUTO unless you have the EXACT figures to enter.

Was the software that came with the new drive used to diagnose and partition the new drive. To the best of my knowledge ALL new drives require their own software to set them up correctly the first time.

May be wild ideas but I had to try.

BillyBob

11. 2003/05/13
    Lis171

Thank you again Deloris..and Billybob. My D drive is my zip drive..and my E drive is my CD/DVD-Rom drive..so I assume that's why my slave drive was called F.(???) As for the BIOS settings, a friend checked for me..and yes..it is set to auto. I need to find out about the software that came with it..I hope that is the only reason why!! Unless, like you said, the cables are messed up..but..would that affect the drive only recognizing 7.82 GB's when it's 80GB's? *I had my friend check that also, and yes,.it's 80GB* Anyway..I'm going for dinner, but I will be back later. And Deloris, I will post to you the results from that link you gave me when I get home :)

12. 2003/05/13
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I can under stand the ZIP maybe being D: but I can not understand the CDROM being E:

I am willing to bet ( not knowing any better ) that that is where the problems is.

Is the new HD loacated in the BIOS BEFORE the other two items.

If the new HD and the CDROM are on the 2nd controller you may need to switch them making the HD as a Masteron the 2nd controler.

Where is each one loacted in relation to controller and Master or Slave ?

You may have to do some relocating. I may be guessing but I think it it be possible.

Gotta get ready for out Tuesday evening Golf. Will check back later.

BillyBob

13. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

Billybob is correct. The slave drive should be D, unless the zip drive is occupying D, which it shouldn't be. Then too, where is E?

Zip drives have been known to interfere.
    Finding the BIOS version of the motherboard will determine that, but nothing in what she posted that Belarc told gives an inkling to the actual BIOS version. The board number can be looked up & hopefully the BIOS version can be found that way.
    Oh so true, & I've had people to have that very thing happen.

I never used any of the hard drive sofftware, & did not have a problem at all with getting them set up, but maybe I just got lucky.:)

Question, BillyBob? Since her drives seem to be listed in the proper order as 0 being her 20GB, and 1 being the 8.40GB, I would assume that the cable is correctly plugged in, and if the slave jumper was not in the right spot, wouldn't Belarc not see anything at all as far as a second drive is concerned, and wouldn't Windows not see anything either. Just a wild notion there.

The previous link I gave her will show her a lot about the hard drive setup, jumpers & etc.

I'm just trying to rule out stuff before getting into more difficult areas. It helps to know what it isn't.:)

Any ideas, wild or not are appreciated, that's for sure.:)

14. 2003/05/13
    Train

Train Inactive

As the bios has picked up the Zip as a hdd , that explains the D:
    With a year 2000 Bios, it may have a 32GB limit on the hdd size.
    May want to check the Mobo manufactors for a BIOS upgrade for larger hdds.
    My thinking is the 80Gb has not been formatted beyond the first partition, or the extend partition has not been enabled.
    Try this and see what you get.
    Go to start, run[type in]command and hit OK

A window will open with this in it:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>

Now type in fdisk /status

And it will look like this when you are done typing:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>fdisk /status

Now hit enter and the report should look something like this.

Fixed Disk Drive Status
    Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    1 28624 100%
    C: 7162
    E: 5365
    F: 5365
    G: 5365
    H: 5365
    2 28624 1 100%
    D: 7491
    I: 7491
    J: 7483
    K: 6158

(1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)
    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>

Post what you find please.

15. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

OK, this is all I've been able to find so far on the Intel Motherboards, and this wasn't easy by any means. :D Intel doesn't seem to want to be very forthcoming on information.
    ------------------
    As of April 1998, there were four categories of IDE hard drive size support among system BIOSes on Intel manufactured motherboards: 512 MB (528,482,304 bytes), 2.1 GB (2,147,483,648 bytes), 8.4 GB (8,455,200,768 bytes), and greater than 8.4 GB (the theoretical maximum of this category is 137,438,953,472 bytes or 137.4 GB).

Intel manufactured motherboards, with the indicated and later BIOS versions, that provide support BIOS support for greater than 8.4 GB, include:

AL440LX, BIOS 4A4LL0X0.86A.0015.P05
    AN430TX, BIOS 4A3NT0X0.86A.0057.P05
    BI440ZX, All BIOS versions
    CA810, All BIOS versions
    CA810E, All BIOS versions
    CC820, All BIOS versions
    CN430TX, BIOS 4C3NT0X0.86A.0016.P02
    D810EMO, All BIOS versions
    D815EEA, All BIOS versions
    D820LP, All BIOS versions
    DK440LX, BIOS 4D4KL0x0.86A.0021.P10
    JN440BX, BIOS 4J4NB0X1.86A.0009.P03
    KU440EX, BIOS 4K4UE0X0.86A.0005.P01
    LT430TX, BIOS 4L3TT0X0.86A.0015.P07
    MU440EX, All 4M4UE0X1 BIOS versions
    MU440EX, All 4M4UE0X3 BIOS versions
    PD440FX, BIOS 1.00.09.DT0
    RC440BX, All BIOS versions
    SE440BX, BIOS 4S4EB0X1.86A.0011.P04
    SE440BX-2, All BIOS versions
    SR440BX, All BIOS versions
    SU810, All BIOS versions
    VC820, All BIOS versions
    VS440FX, BIOS 1.00.18.CS1
    -------------------
    OK, your particular SE440BX-3 is not listed here, but the SE440BX-2 is. Since yours is a -3, it should be a later Motherboard than the -2, & I would assume it's BIOS will recognize an 80GB hard drive.

Is my diagnosis correct?:) Comments are welcome. Has anyone dug up anymore information that might be useful?

I am now relatively satisfied that her MBoard BIOS is not the problem.

Darn, this may get difficult before it's over. :D

Gotta re-group now. :D

16. 2003/05/13
    Train

Train Inactive

"and greater than 8.4 GB (the theoretical maximum of this category is 137,438,953,472 bytes or 137.4 GB). "

Not all of the boards were setup for ATA66 at that time for the IDE and had older BIOS and not the updated ones. Still, you maybe right. But I still think the extended and logical are not complete on the hdd.

17. 2003/05/13
    Lis171

Wow, thank you for all of your replies. I only wish I could understand this stuff as much as you guys do :) Train, I did the start/run/command...then typed in fdisk /status at the prompt, like you asked. Here is what I got, and it doesn't look like what I should be getting, according to what you posted;

Fixed Disk Drive Status
    Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    1. 19469 100%
    C: 19469
    2. 10804 10804 %

(1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)
    C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP>

It doesn't seem to see any drive but C. Now I'm very confused. In the event that this is happening due to my zip and CDRom being the wrong lettered drives, would I have to go to great lengths *eg: disconnecting and reconnecting stuff to put each drive it where it should be?

18. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

That was one of my theories as well, in a previous post. I just wanted to try to rule out some simpler stuff before getting into that in depth.

I wish I could have found more info on her particular MBoard, but I couldn't seem to. But usually when the BIOS release date is year 2000 or later, then there won't be a BIOS problem. Mine is 1999 & it works fine with an 80GB. I will keep trying. I have another link, if I haven't misplaced it, that may shed some more light on the MBoard.

If she will download, install & run Ranish Partition Manager to see what it sees, maybe that will shed some more light on the problem.

19. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

Liz,

First I would try right clicking on My Computer, going to Properties, then Device Manager Tab, & changing the drive letters for my 80GB drive, & Zip Drive. And the CD ROM if necessary.

I am not sure where the Zip drive would be listed, but probably under Disk drives.

First Expand your + sign on Disk Drives. Highlight your Zip Drive. Click on the properties button. In there, you will see a settings Tab. Click on that. Down toward the bottom you will see Reserved Drive Letters & under that Start Drive Letter & End Drive letter. In the Start Drive Letter Box place a G or an H or something higher than any letters that are already assigned. Make sure the End Drive Letter is the same as the Start Drive Letter. Click OK.

Check the first Generic IDE type 47 drive & see what it's assigned letter is. It should be C. Next in Disk drives, the second Generic IDE type 47 drive should be the 80GB drive. Highlight it, & do the same as with the zip drive. It will probably have the letter F already there. Change it to D.

Then go to your CD ROM drive, highlight it & click on the properties button. In there, if it's already assigned an E. Leave it. If not assign an E.

Once this is completed, you may want to go back to the Zip drive & re-assign it the letter of F.

This will straighten out the drive letter assignments, once you re-boot your machine.

Now the rest of it is another story.:)

20. 2003/05/13
    Lis171

Deloris..I've tried numerous times to download ranish from the link you posted, but it won't work. Do you have another link? And again, I can't thank you enough for your informative , helpful posts, I'm actually learning! :)

21. 2003/05/13
    Deloris

Deloris Inactive

Lis,

Addendum to my previous post.

I went into my device manager & my first IDE type 47 was my slave, so check to make sure which one is listed as a C drive & do not change that one. Change only the one listed as your F drive.

Sorry I may have gotten them backwards.

I will try to get you another link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.