1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved hard drive disappears

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MinnesotaMike, 2016/02/22.

1. 2016/02/22
    MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Geek Member Thread Starter

A few years back, I installed an IDE drive out of my old system into my current HP desktop. The HP only has SATA connections, so I installed a Serillel Abit adapter on the drive. Everything worked great. About a month ago, I upgraded to Windows 10. Again, everything was great. A couple weeks ago, my drive (used as a slave drive) started disappearing at random times. I can go through the troubleshooting and Win10 installs drivers to correct the problem. After a reboot, the drive is back. Since it keeps happening, my question is this. Is the adapter not playing nice with Win10 and should I just replace the drive with a SATA drive and eliminate the problem? Or, is there another way to get the drive to always show up with the adapter? I looked on the Serillel site and don't see any listing for a Win10 update that might help. Didn't think there would be one, but I figured I better check. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. 2016/02/23
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I wouldn't want to deal with the fixing issue too often and would probably replace the drive.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/02/23
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Or when ever you want to use the drive stick it into a USB dock SATA or PATA works for me.

5. 2016/02/24
    MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Geek Member Thread Starter

Okay, Steve, that's kind of what I figured. Thanks to you and hawk22 for responding!