1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Hard disk full message

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by sophiaford, 2011/01/03.

1. 2011/01/03
    sophiaford

sophiaford Inactive Thread Starter

My current OS is Win98. I started out with Win95 which is still on my Packard-Bell Computer. I am getting the message that my hard disk is full. I have deleted numerous emails and documents, but still get the "hard disk full" message. :confused:

Also, I have IE 5 and IE 6. Can I safely remove IE5 without losing data? I have no space to download a higher version of IE thus I can no longer open web pages..HELP!! :eek: What can I do?

Thank you for any help and/or suggestions.

2. 2011/01/03
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yes, remove IE5. Also look in your add remove programs and see how many Java's you have. You should only have one and it will be the one with the highest number. Delete all the other ones. Java was bad till recently about leaving old version on the machine. Also look and see if there are any programs that you don't use anymore and delete them.

Also go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disc Cleanup and put a check in ALL the boxes then click OK then Yes. When it is finished, go back to the same place and this time choose Disc Defrag. Run it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/01/12
    visionof

visionof Inactive

There are a number of things you can do as said to find space

1) remove unnecessary programs and services
    2) go into the program directory look for old programs not being used , that were uninstalled and yet the remnants are there
    3) Go through old docs you don't need or can store elsewhere
    4) then system tools disc cleanup
    5) reduce trash box from 10 % max use to less , or even delete all
    6) There is some type of hard disk compression ability
    i do not know how much that will slow you down