1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Group Policy question on setting a printer path

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by muddyfox, 2011/12/08.

1. 2011/12/08
    muddyfox

muddyfox Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm currently trying to set a printer group in Group Policy for a batch of Windows 7 clients. This will be 3 printers two are fine as they are on a print server but I can't crack the third.

This printer is plugged straight into the network (2008 Domain) and has a reservation in DHCP. I have used the fully qualified DNS name in both the DNS name field and printer path field. It's the latter that seems to be wrong (instead of a green triangle in the policy it comes up with a yellow one.

What should I be putting?

2. 2012/01/31
    muddyfox

I still haven't been able to resolve this one. Tried the qualified dns name SECON12345 or something like that (it's a Samsung Laser) and the IP Address in both Group Policy and a vbs printer script file. The latter tells me the name given to the printer is wrong.

There must be a way round sharing a Networked printer that's not running on a Print Server, running the IP address brings up the Samsung interface ok and installing the printer by IP address on the workstations works fine and dandy as well. ??

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/02/02
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,
    muddyfox likes this.
  5. 2012/02/02
    muddyfox

Thanks Arie.

I will try that on Monday.

6. 2012/02/10
    muddyfox

thanks for the PM reminder Arie.

I tried it yesterday and it seems to have done the trick.