1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Green Ribbon Of Death Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by James Martin, 2017/03/04.

1. 2017/03/04
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

This just started a few days ago, and it only shows itself if I am trying to network with my W7 laptop. I've studied a few Google hits concerning optimizing the download folder(s) settings to General Items, and checking the subfolders checkbox as well, but nothing has helped yet.

The only changes I made beforehand was installing KMyMoney (on both machines), and installing the AutoCAD viewer (DWG TrueView 2017) on the Dell. For what it's worth, the latter program is huge and required several .net prerequisites. And I've also toyed with several antivirus programs of late too.

2. 2017/03/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sounds interesting James. Where does this "green ribbon of death" show and what happens?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/03/04
    James Martin

It is the green progress bar that sometimes appears in Windows Explorer. In my case, when networking, it takes forever to move from left to right.

5. 2017/03/05
    retiredlearner

That green progress ribbon that shows when I click on Devices and Printers in Control Panel takes 14 seconds to fully open and display 14 items. I seem to recollect that it took forever in earlier Windows versions when searching for info. I haven't experienced problems in W10 as noted above.
    It may be related to the performance of your comps.

6. 2017/03/05
    James Martin

It's never been an issue before. At times, it's so bad I have to log off of Windows to get control of it. For the most part, it seems to be related to my downloads folder.

7. 2017/03/06
    James Martin

I'm going to uncheck thumbnails cache on CCleaner to see if that helps. The cookie & file cleaning program is currently set purge thumbnails, and that would cause Windows to rebuild the cache all over again.

8. 2017/03/06
    James Martin

Didn't help any.

9. 2017/03/06
    retiredlearner

10. 2017/03/08
    James Martin

Thanks, Neil. Before I read your last post, I tried using Windows Repair (WR), but it caused the Dell to come to crawl. I then resorted to recover the machine with a 30-day old Acronis backup, and that fixed the problem. I did use WR on the laptop with good success - but I'm not sure if it really needed fixing anyway since the whole problem could have originated from the Dell. Incidentally, both machines are back to using Avast :p:rolleyes: for the time being.

For what it's worth, I'd already tried the last link's suggestions, but it didn't help any. I'll read up on the first link.

I guess I'll mark this thread as resolved. Makes one wonder if I inadvertently downloaded a virus, or one of the antivirus programs could have installed incorrectly (I had a few problems with Sophos before ditching it). Is it possible Microsoft Security Essentials could have been partly responsible? I've heard the program doesn't scan files as fast as others do.

Last edited: 2017/03/08
  11. 2017/03/09
    retiredlearner

It would depend on whether you have MSE set for Quick scan or Full scan. MSE would not run with Avast running? I think it detects another AV program and shuts itself down? MSE is now replaced by the improved Defender in W10 and it works smoothly and does a Scheduled scan while I'm using the comp and I don't know it's working until the message notification shows it has completed the scan and no threats were detected.

12. 2017/03/09
    James Martin

I never had more than one antivirus installed at one time. I can't remember the web page I saw this on, but an experienced user said that MSE can cause the green progress ribbon in Windows Explorer to come to a crawl due to the program's slow real-time scanning abilities.

I know a full manual scan took forever - so long that my computer went to sleep a few times before the scan completed.