1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Google Chrome not opening links from email]

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by tallin, 2013/02/07.

1. 2013/02/07
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I work voluntarily on a few forums.

I also have posted this request on several forums without successful replies.

Since using Chrome (my default browser Windows 7) when I get an email notification that someone has replied to a post and click on the site included in the email to access the OP's reply, all I get is a page opening in Chrome with 'untitled' as the heading.

My way around this is to right click on the link in the email | copy shortcut | open Chrome | paste | and the site loads. Can anyone guide me to a fix for this annoying issue as I really like Chrome and do not want to change browsers.

If I have Chrome open and click on the OP's link in the email the link will load.

My older laptop using XP and Chrome opens the links in the emails whether I have Chrome open or not!

This issue is not serious enough to create a new profile so I have not done that.

Things I have done to try and solve this are as follows:

Tried my alternative browser IE9 which opens the links immediately.
    Avast is up to date, a suggestion from another OP
    Uninstalled and re-installed Chrome through Programes and Features and Revo uninstaller, making no difference
    Set Chrome and Windows Live mail as my default programs in settings Windows 7​
    I have been told that Programs Files is where 64-bit programs are installed and Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit programs. So the only way to get Chrome to install in Program Files is to install a 64-bit version of Chrome - if there is one. There does not seem to be one sadly.

Perhaps one of the experts here can update me on a fix for this irritating issue.

There is a link here to manually uninstall Chrome which was suggested but I do not want to change the registry although my registry is backed up but I don't think that is the issue.

Thank you,

kind regards,

2. 2013/02/08
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Finally found the answer to this issue.

As follows:

Start > All Programs > Expand Chrome > right click on Chrome.exe > Properties > Compatibility > enable "Run this program in compatibility mode" > In the drop down menu choose Windows 7 > apply > OK. Mine was set on Windows XP but of course I am using Windows 7.

You would need to choose whichever operating system you are using of course.

kind regards,:)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/02/08
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Thanks for the information.

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.