1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Getting multiple instances of a pinned program (?)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by frayedknotarts, 2017/06/28.

1. 2017/06/28
    frayedknotarts Lifetime Subscription

frayedknotarts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That may not be the best explanation:

In the past I could single click on any pinned program next to the (quasi) start button, and then, if I required a secondary or tertiary instance, simply right clicking that icon and selecting the item's name from the resulting splash box would open the desired instance. Most notably, I used this for checking the spelling of a word with two instances of Mozilla, or using two instances of Word for specific things, but this no longer seems to work for me.

Now, to open additional instances it is necessary to right click the "peek" desktop option (far right side of taskbar), open the desktop, left click the item desired, right click the "Open" option and then do it all again should other instances be desired at the same time.

The only thing more cumbersome than the actual operation has been this explanation. Sorry, but English is increasingly escaping me, so I hope this is intelligible.

2. 2017/06/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

In W10, icons to the right of the Start button open with 1 (one) left click. This is your Task bar. Icons on the far Right are in the Systray and will respond to both Left and Right clicks giving 2 (two) different Menus.
    If you Right click on the icons in the Task bar, you will get the option to Left click and open the Program or to Unpin it from the Task bar. This the way my W10 OS operates.
    I'm having trouble trying to understand where the "peek" is you are describing.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/06/29
    frayedknotarts Lifetime Subscription

frayedknotarts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

"Peek" : hover your cursor over small rectangle far RIGHT side of taskbar and it shows you your desktop, until you either move the cursor or single LEFT click, which then lets you move the cursor onto the desktop and access all icons.

Sadly, it seems I am less and less in command of the language.

But all is well in Hooville, for my 14 y.o. granddaughter (The Dybbuk) was reading over my shoulder this AM and tole "poppa" that it was time he backed away from the keyboard before he hurt someone. Once a program (specifically, Firefox in this case) is opened, RIGHT clicking will open the splash screen, among whose options is "Open New Window" under the "Tasks" listing. Not 'quite' the solution I was looking for, but completely adequate to the task and, I suppose, another aberration of the latest vagary (I mean, update) of Windoze.

5. 2017/06/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If the browser in use has been minimized to the Task bar, hovering the mouse over the 'active' icon will show a small screen. A left click on the active icon will restore it to full screen - normal operation. You will only get a "peek" if the icon is active. Gotcha.