1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services ERROR

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EL CONJUNTO, 2005/03/01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/01
    EL CONJUNTO

EL CONJUNTO Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I get a recurring error message at boot about 50% of the time...GENERIC HOST PROCESS FOR WIN 32 SERVICES ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDED TO CLOSE. What does this process do? it seems the computer works fine anyway but i'd like to fix the problem. Any ideas?
    Mark

2. 2005/03/01
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

Do you get a DMP file generated? Can you run it through the tool in my signature?

Try searching your drives for a *.DMP file that was created about the last time you saw that error.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/16
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

.dmp files

Hi!

I'm not the person who originally posted with the Generic Host Process problem, but I've been having the same one. I found 7 .dmp files on my computer through a simple search from Start.

What now?!
    Help!

5. 2005/03/16
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

user.dmp

There is also a user.dmp file. :confused:

6. 2005/03/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

7. 2005/03/16
    Newt

Newt Inactive

These can be legit or dropped on you by a virus.

These Four are among the baddies that call themselves by that name although there are more than just these.

Svchost.exe is also called "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" and you need at least a couple and maybe as many as 6 of them running for your PC to operate properly.

Generating the dump log for examination here is a good idea. Otherwise, you can easily figure out if the message is speaking of a legit process or one of the malware-spawned ones.

You don't say your OS version but if you have XP-pro, there is a utility, tasklist.exe, you can run from a cmd window to list all instances of svchost.exe you have running. If you run it and save the results, get the error, and run it again you can compare and if you have lost a svchost.exe session you have an OS issue and if not, you have a baddie.

If you have XP-home you will need to download tasklist.exe and put it in your windows or windows\system32 folder then do the following.

Click on start, on run, key in cmd and click OK.

Once you have a cmd window open, key in the following and press ENTER.
    Code:
    tasklist.exe /svc > c:\svchost.txt
    which will place a text file in c:\ with details of each instance of svchost you have running. After you have the problem, run a similar command but with a double >> after the /svc so it will append the new report to the existing text file rather than overwriting it. You can either look for yourself or post the contents here for us to have a gander. The second command you run should be
    Code:
    tasklist.exe /svc >> c:\svchost.txt
    If you need the tasklist utility, you can download it from Here (it's the 2nd item available for download).

Process Explorer will give similar information and generate a log file. It has the added advantage of saying who is listed as owner of the process which tasklist doesn't do but it lacks some of the detail. Free utility so may be something you want to get anyway.

Newt,
  8. 2005/03/16
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

Reply regarding data dump

I will print the instructions out at work tomorrow and execute the suggestions tomorrow night. I'll post a new thread at that point.

Thank you both. :)

9. 2005/03/16
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Just stay with this thread to avoid confusion. It has background info we will need. If the original poster wants to talk about his system, I'll just split the thread so you have one all to yourself but with all the information in it.

Newt,
  10. 2005/03/20
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

Delay

I will have to delay my work on the Win32 Generic Host Process. I'm having some medical work done and I'm not sure when I will be able to work on it. Please forgive me. I will be back!

11. 2005/03/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

OK - hope all goes well for you.

12. 2005/03/21
    Omega

Omega Inactive

Speaking of "tasklist.exe" and svchost.exe I have just a simple question.
    Can you not just copy Tasklist.exe from a computer with XP Pro and place it on a system with XP Home in the \system32 folder??

I'm just curious because the computers that I have, some have xp home and some with xp pro.

13. 2005/05/02
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

Generic Host Process for Win32 Error

Hello and Please Help Again!

I started to get help with this problem when I unexpectedly had to have major surgery. UGH. :( It's over now and I continue to have this problem.

What should I do? :confused:

Thank you again,
    Cindy

14. 2005/05/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Cindy - easier to keep things altogether so I merged your "I'm back" thread with this one.

Hope you are improving and hope we can help. Where does the problem stand at this point? Any changes since your last post about it?

15. 2005/05/02
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

Still the same

Hi!

Things are still the same - nothing has changed. I get the error message sporadically, not sure what precipitates it.

I tried to access the info on the link mentioned in an earlier message to me, but it's no longer there.

How can I start again?

Thank you!

Cindy

16. 2005/05/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Sorry I wasn't clear. We have sorta started again in this thread. The other one vanished when I merged it with this one. Best this way since the original background information is all in here.

Thanks for the update.

17. 2005/05/03
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

What's next?

Should I be doing something at this point? Are there any instructions for me to get rid of the error?

Thanks!
    Cindy

18. 2005/05/03
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

Brb

I'll check in again at work...

19. 2005/05/03
    cgoehring78

cgoehring78 Inactive

Help with Generic Host Process Error

Hi!

I feel kind of silly, but I'm not quite sure what to do at this point! Can you guys help me?

Thank you very much.

Cindy :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.