1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Games folder is empty!!

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Graham Newey, 2009/10/05.

1. 2009/10/05
    Graham Newey

Graham Newey Inactive Thread Starter

My OS is Vista Home Premium(64 bit).

I enjoy playing Solitaire and Chess Titans which are two of the integrated "Games ".

A problem has occurred.

I click "Start" then "Games ".

The ">Games" window appears,as usual.

Solitaire, Hearts, Chess Titans etc etc are shown, as usual.

However,when I double click the relevant icon, instead of the game running as usual, I'm getting a new window with "<<Users>Graham and Mary>Saved Games" at the top.

In the main body of the window appears "Microsoft Games" folder which is empty!!

I'm wondering if it's my injudicious use of a "shortcut fixer" tool in a "utility" I've been using recently that's caused this problem

Please can you tell me (in words of one syllable) how to get my nice green solitaire game to show again when I double click the icon?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Graham Newey

Last edited: 2009/10/05
  2. 2009/10/06
    Eraser

Eraser Inactive

Let us know more about the "Shortcut Fixer" as you call it. Meanwhile try to discard it and then run the games.
    Come back with the results.
    Thanks.
    :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/10/06
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Does the "shortcut fixer" tool have a restore function?

If you open Start -> Computer -> Local Disk (C:??) -> Program Files -> Microsoft Games -> (Game Folder), right-click on the [game-name].exe file and select Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut). Let us know how that goes.

Matt

5. 2009/10/06
    Graham Newey

Dear Eraser and mattman,

Thanks for your prompt responses. Much appreciated.

Eraser:--I'm referring to a multi faceted optimisation/maintenance suite of tools called "Advanced SystemCare" by IObit at www.iobit.com. It's freeware. Read a lot of reviews and it seemed generally liked and trusted. Thought I'd give it a go! One of the tools is "Shortcut Fixer" and it finds "obsolete" shortcuts. I must admit to having run SF and "repairing" the findings without really looking at them!! I know--- I should know better! On thinking back there were rather a lot of "obsolete" shortcuts "found "!

Not sure what you mean by "discard ". I don't want to install it just yet. Despite this little problem I quite liked ASC in general. If you mean "disable" or "turn off" I can confirm that this makes no difference to the problem outlined in my original post.

Mattman:--- ASC does have a "restore" feature and I've used it. Makes no difference. A bit worrying? Had in fact followed your "path ". Got to the "Microsoft Games " folder and inside is a sub folder for EACH game (eg Solitaire). There is no "Games folder as such. Created a shortcut on Desktop to the "Microsoft Games" folder so I can now play Solitaire for instance but it takes SIX clicks to get there!

Obviously I hadn't obliterated the actual games so it looks like I've messed up the shortcut/pathway somehow. Agreed?

So, I can now play my games but the original problem still exists in the form originally described.

If you guys or anyone else have any more ideas to restore the status quo I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Graham

6. 2009/10/06
    Graham Newey

Eraser---I meant UNINSTALL of course! GN

7. 2009/10/06
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

8. 2009/10/06
    Graham Newey

Dear Eraser and mattman,

You can stop scratching you heads!! Mr.(Mrs.?) Evan Omo is a genius and I LOVE him(her?)!!

Go to http://support.microsoft.co/kb/972035 if you're interested.

"Method 1" worked a treat for me and everything is back to normal.

I shall be giving Advanced SystemCare another chance but I'll be more carefull!!

Evan Omo-- how did you find this answer? I spent a long time on several search engines trying to find out what to do. Obviously my search technique needs honing. Any tips?

Again thank you so much for sorting this out for me. I was beginning to worry that I might have done something really nasty to my shiny new black computer!!

ALL MY LOVE (and Regards),

Graham

9. 2009/10/06
    Evan Omo

Great. Your very welcome and I am happy that this issue is now resolved. :) I actually saw your thread and decided to google your problem. How I found the link was I googled with these keywords, Vista games do not launch. Once I used those terms the Microsoft KB article came up which was the link that I passed on for you to try. Regarding tips for search engines, try and be very specific with the problem that you are trying to describe. If one type of word doesn't produce any results then use a synonym for that word and try again. Also I don't use any other search engine except google since IMO it can be very accurate. ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/06
  10. 2009/10/06
    Graham Newey

Dear Evan,

Thanks for all your help. Have taken your advice on board.

I had a Google toolbar on my old comp.

My new system came with bing and Windows Live bars.

I'll install a google bar on my new system!

Thanks again and all the best,

Graham

11. 2009/10/06
    Evan Omo

Your Welcome. :)