1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Freeze up with Roxio Easy CD copier

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Milt, 2004/04/21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/04/21
    Milt

Milt Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,
    I use Easy CD Creator 5. I have had the full suite installed for several years. Recently, I have noticed a problem where the CD copier freezes up, (the whole system freezes up) only when attempting to copy audio CD's of any kind. Data software disks-no problem. Initially when inserting an audio CD to copy, I always let the CD auto-run to open WMP first, so there is not a conflict when I open the copier. That being done, I close WMP, and open CD copier. Sometimes the whole dialouge screen will freeze, and will release when I remove the source audio CD. With this scenario, the source and target info does not display at all. Often, when I remove the source CD, the info is displayed. More recently, the utility goes into scanning the first track, then freezes. Sometimes I get it released, and other times I have to hard reboot.
    During the freezup, there is a cycle where it will freeze, and release momentarily, then freeze again. When the freeze occurs, there is a pop in the audio system, as if the CD is attempting to start playback. This could be the problem, but I am not sure how to fix it. Deselecting Auto-insert in the CD properties does not help.
    I have also had this happen when working from the application selector, when selecting to make an audio CD. But, mostly the problem is noticable in CD coper.
    Any ideas on this?

Milt

Last edited: 2004/04/21
    Milt,
  2. 2004/04/21
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Hi Milt
    Can you give us some system specs please? What O/S? How much Ram, etc?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/04/21
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Sounds to me like it's time to reinstall Roxio. Checked with Roxio for updates? Do you have any problem using MP to burn CD's?

5. 2004/04/21
    Milt

This old Win98 machine is a Plll500 with 512 of ram-noo problem burning anything. Yes, I was thinking of a reinstall, but did not know how clean it could be.

Milt

Milt,
  6. 2004/04/21
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I'm not sure how good a job their uninstaller does either, but RegSeeker will clean up leftovers. :D

7. 2004/04/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Update your Roxio 5 to the latest version and uninstall Direct CD as (1) it's not needed and (2) will slow down a win98 system (by leaking memory).

8. 2004/04/21
    Milt

UPDATE: (This may be a hardware problem-perhaps not pertinent to the intent of this area)

First, I have all the most recent Roxio updates. Also, I did an uninstall and re-install of the program to no avail.

I have used an older internal NEC DVD player as a source for CD recording as well as for a CD-DVD player for several years. I write to an internal Sony CDRW.

I tried the following scenarios after the software reinstallation did not help:
    1. I have an external Sony firewire DVD-CDRW writer which I used for the source, and wrote to the internal CDRW. No problems with freeze-ups of any kind.
    2. I reversed this and again no problems with any aspect of Roxio.
    3. I simply place the audio CD in the NEC, and attempt to use Roxio, and I get the freeze up. Since last posting, I have found the freeze up occurs even when simply starting Easy CD creator itself, when there is an audio CD in the NEC.
    4. The NEC works fine for CD or DVD play back by itself.

Sooo, it must be some conflict with the NEC and Roxio. BUT WHAT?
    Never has been an issue before. When I attempt to use Roxio with the NEC, I can hear the CD trying to initialize just before the freeze up.

Any ideas. I can replace the NEC, it just doesn't make sense.

Milt

Milt,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.