1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

"Found Hardware" Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noclue, 2008/10/25.

1. 2008/10/25
    noclue

noclue Inactive Thread Starter

I downloaded "Hijack This" last night, and when I started my computer this morning I found the immortal "Found Hardware" Wizard window, which I could not kill. The type on my screen is huge for some reason. All of my desktop icons have been moved around as well.

I uninstalled "Hijack This," but that did not make the Wizard go away, nor did my type size decrease. I deleted my cookies. Still no change. I don't know what else to do, but my computer is essentially useless at this point.

I understand that this is probably a rookie question, but will someone take pity on my and please reply? I am running Windows XP.

Thank you.

Last edited: 2008/10/25
  2. 2008/10/25
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi noclue. When the found new hardware wizard comes up what hardware does it say that it is trying to install? If its trying to install something like your graphics card driver then you might have to redownload it again from the manufacturers website.
    I have to ask when you installed hijackthis did you remove anything? A program like that should only be used for users who know what they are doing and know what the consequences are if you deleted a wrong entry. Have you tried a system restore point to a time before you installed hijackthis? Let me know. :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/10/26
    noclue

Thanks so much for your reply, Evan Omo. The Wizard says it is trying to install a video controller. I don't even know what that it. It asks me to install software automatically or to install software from a specific list. I can't do either because I don't have what it's asking for. I looked at the specific list, and, as my user name suggests, I have no clue what I'm looking at.

The problem with editor ratings at cnet for an uneducated user like me is that I saw the five-stars for Hijack This and the three for Ad-Aware (which was what I was intending to download at first), and decided to go for the better product. (Somehow, the Ad-Aware icon disappeared from my "start" list, so I couldn't do a routine scan. I couldn't find Ad-Aware in my control panel population list, either. That's how I ended up in this predicament). I didn't realize that it Hijack This was for advanced users. Live and learn.

Why is the print on my screen so huge? I remember seeing this when I had someone helping me via remote connection with a really bad problem. The computer is really slow, too. I have run the long version of my virus program (AVG), but it's not detecting anything.

How do you use system restore?

5. 2008/10/26
    Evan Omo

Hi no clue. Ok your problem doesn't appear to be to bad. To start System Restore click Start< All Programs< Accessories< System Tools< System Restore. Click the option to restore your computer to an earlier date.

Choose a restore point to a time before you installed hijackthis. Now the reason the text and the icons on your computer are so big is because you probably deleted the drivers for your graphics card and that why you get the found new hardware wizard popping up. Your computers resolution is very small so thats why everything is so big.

Do this for me, right click a blank area of your desktop< click properties< click the settings tab< click the advanced button< and now click the adapter tab. Under where it says adapter type it will tell you what graphics card you are running. Also write down everything under adapter information and adapter type and tell me that info in your next post so I can find the proper drivers for your graphics card. Let me know if system restore worked or not. If it didn't then we will just have to reinstall your graphics card driver.

6. 2008/10/26
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I think, depending on if a backup was made, there is an option in Hijack This to undo the changes.

7. 2008/10/26
    Evan Omo

But matt, no clue said that he uninstalled hijackthis which probably deleted the backups that were made.

8. 2008/10/26
    noclue

So, OK. I did the system restore, which makes everything look normal again (except for the dark gray background behind my icons. :confused: I can live with it). Excellent instructions!

I did the right click on my desktop and found that I have "multiple monitors on Intel...." in the box that I think is the place for graphics type. I couldn't find the words "graphics type," so I am guessing.

9. 2008/10/26
    Evan Omo

Ok. Great. Glad the found new hardware wizard isn't popping up anymore. Try this method to find the name of your graphics card. Click Start< click run and type dxdiag and press enter. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool should open. Click the display tab. Under where it says Device, it should say Name, Manufacturer, Chip type, DAC type, and Total memory. Next to all of those terms if will tell the name of your graphics card and everything else about it. Let me know what all of that information is in your next post.

10. 2008/10/27
    noclue

I got a window right after I entered dxdiag. It said, "Do you want to allow DxDiag to check if your drivers are digitally signed as logo'd by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL)? This may cause Windows to connect to the Internet to download new WHQL certificates..." I clicked on "no" for the time being.

Once I got into the place you sent me, I found the following:

Device: Intel (R) 82852/82855GM/GME Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel
    Chip type: Intel (R) 82855/82855 Graphics Controller
    DAC type: Internal
    Main driver: iatmrnt5.dll
    Version: 6.14.00.10.3722

I forgot to look up the memory, but the last time I did the defrag, I had something like 89% left.

Under "notes," I read "no problems found. "

I hope that's the right stuff.

11. 2008/10/27
    Evan Omo

Yes that is the correct information. Thanks. Take a look at this link from intel. It provides the downloads for your graphics card driver. http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel852gm/#anchor1. Go to the link and install the latest version of the driver. After that is done let me know how the computer is running.

12. 2008/10/27
    noclue

For whatever reason, I cannot paste after copying the page I need to send you... The Driver Update Utility page shows me the driver it found (which is the same number as the one I posted to you) and tells me to contact my computer manufacturer for updates. Is this right?

I looked at another page for the heck of it, and it shows me three different downloads for Windows XP, Home Edition. I don't know which one (if any) I should choose, or if I have to contact Toshiba.

13. 2008/10/27
    Evan Omo

14. 2008/10/27
    noclue

Yes, that's the page I was trying to send you. Don't know if the inability to copy/paste in a brain malfunction or not -- I've don't it a zillion times! Should I choose one of these?

I saw the "final version" download, but wasn't sure if that was the one I should choose.

Thanks so much for hanging in there with me.

15. 2008/10/27
    Evan Omo

No Problem. I assume you are running Windows XP Home Edition. Go ahead and download the driver from the link I gave you. Download the Exe installer and not the zip one. The latest version of the driver has a gold disk next to it. Choose that version and install it. If your computer is also running slow I have quite a few programs that can help speed it up. Let me know if you are interested with speeding up your computer otherwise we will just stick with getting your currect problem resolved.

16. 2008/10/28
    noclue

Oh, great. I got a pop-up which blocked the download for "security" reasons. :mad: Should I disable the Windows firewall? I say that like I know how to do it.

17. 2008/10/28
    Evan Omo

What did the message say exactly? Do not disable the Windows firewall as doing so could make you vulnerable to malware attacks. In Internet Explorer Click Tools and then Internet Options and click the security tab. There should be 4 categories. Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites. Highlight each Internet zone and click the button that says deafult level. After thats done click apply and ok. Then click tools again and click delete browsing history. Click delete all. Restart Internet Explorer and try downloading the file again.

18. 2008/10/28
    noclue

The first one ( "Internet ") was already highlighted. When I highlighted the second, the first was then "de-highlighted," and so on down the line to the fourth one ( "Restricted "). I don't think I'm doing what you asked me to, but don't know what to do instead... :eek:

19. 2008/10/28
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi noclue,

I see Evan is temporarily offline while your still here. I hope he doesn't mind if I step in real quick and help you with this step in his instructions.

Evan is asking you to make sure your security levels in each of your IE zones (internet, local internet, trusted sites, restricted sites) is set to and using the default levels. You'll notice that as you highlight each of these zones near the bottom is the buttons that are used to set or adjust the level of security. They will be labeled "custom" and "default ".

Under defaults only the custom button will be dark and the default will be gray. If security is raised or lowered beyond defaults, the default button will also be darkened. In that case you need to click on the the button named "default" than click on apply.

Do this for each zone.

Alternate procedure would be to change the setting for each>apply and then go back and set the them to defaults once again.
    How to:
    Using the slider, just above the buttons, setting change can be slide to either, lower or higher, makes no difference as your going to reset to default anyway.

----------------
    May I point out that when downloading the display update that you make sure you have also clicked on the accompanying readme link located in each. This has additional install instructions for the file your downloading.

Last edited: 2008/10/28
  20. 2008/10/28
    noclue

I am not allowed to click on "default" after highlighting a zone. I know I am just not understanding. :eek:

21. 2008/10/28
    Evan Omo

Thanks for your input and suggestions Ann. :) Sometimes I have trouble giving step by step instructions. :p

Noclue, is the default level in the security tab in the Internet Options window grayed out? Highlight each security zone. Under where it says Security level for each zone their should be a slider like Ann pointed out allowing you to change the level of the current security zone. The Internet Zone should be on Medium-High, Local Intranet should be on medium-low, Trusted Sites should be on Low, and Restricted Sites should be on High. Are you running Internet Explorer version 6 or 7? Are you logged on as an administrator? If you don't know what version of IE you are running then open Internet Explorer and click Help< About Internet Explorer. It will tell you what version you are running. Now when you are attempting to downlaod the driver do you get a yellow security bar at the top of the webpage like in this link, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_infobar.mspx?