1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Formatting SD card for Samsung Galaxy SIII

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by stelliger, 2013/07/24.

1. 2013/07/24
    stelliger

stelliger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently got a 16GB micro SD I will soon put in my my Galaxy SIII.

I saw notes for various SD cards, that they should be formatted before mounting in a device.

The question would be, what KIND of formatting? Would putting the card in an adapter and formatting via a standard PC work just fine? Or is there a utility to make it work better?

That said, I don't know what kinds of phones this pertained to. For all I know, the S3 has a good internal format utility.

What is best to do?

2. 2013/07/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You should always format the card in the device in which it is to be used - this certainly applies to CF/SDHC cards used in cameras.

No doubt your manual will give some guidance.

stelliger likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/07/24
    stelliger

stelliger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Actually the manual for the phone gives me very little guidance at all! It's small and not well written; why use it when most info is available online?

Anyway, thanks for the input. I know I saw something about using a certain utility to format the card although I can't find it now; I just wondered if it was generally a good idea to format it in that way.

Barring more info I'll just look up how to format it in the phone and proceed to do so.

5. 2013/07/24
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Google Formatting SD card for Samsung Galaxy S III and you will find your answer. Just look at the first one or 2 and you should be good to go.