1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Floppy Disk Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PHarvell, 2006/05/09.

1. 2006/05/09
    PHarvell

PHarvell Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a DELL DIMENSION 4550 running Windows X P Home Edition.My problem is my floppy disk.When I try to run a program I get a message saying,Windows XP SetUp, Please go to the control panel to install and configure System Componets.I never had this problem before the crash.I truly appreciate this site.

2. 2006/05/09
    psuedo

psuedo Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/05/10
    PHarvell

My computer gave me the blue screen of death.At the time I was running Norton Utilities,which brought me back to the Bios-Setup. Here I used my Windows XP CD to re-install windows.Everything is fine now except for the floppy disk.When I troubleshoot I am told this device is working properly,but it is not.

5. 2006/05/10
    psuedo

psuedo Inactive

What is the component that it is asking you to install when you run your program? Does it do the same thing for all floppys or just this one program you are running?

6. 2006/05/11
    PHarvell

I use the run command then my setup exe program.I get the same response from all floppy disk,but I am able to run the program on other computers.Even when the floppy comes with it's own installation program they do not run.It shows a message saying THIS DISK NEEDS TO BE FORMATTED.I know that would erase all data on the disk but I proceeded anyway.The new message being THIS DISK CANNOT BE FORMATTED.

7. 2006/05/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello PHarvell,

Lets try a basic remedy:

Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager bar > expand Floppy disk drives > right click on Floppy disk drive > uninstall.

Then reboot the computer. This will allow XP to re install the drive along with it's driver.

Regards - Charles

8. 2006/05/11
    skeet6961

skeet6961 Inactive

ensure u'r BIOS agrees w/ what HW u have. eg - does bios say '3.5" floppy' for A:? if not, make it so ;)

9. 2006/05/12
    PHarvell

Format Disk - ERROR

I like to thank everyone for there support.Charles,I followed your advice and now my lights on my A drive lights up with the others when the computer boots.However, I still have no A drive.I ran across some error message when I was trying to troubleshoot from the help menue.I am glad I found these.I do believe they were telling me something but I don't know what.

(1) ERROR - Disk error on track 0, Head 1 address mark not found

(2) Disk error on track 0, Head 0 Sector not found

I belive I encountered this when I first tried to run or install a program.

10. 2006/05/12
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Try removing it again in device manager but also remove the floppy disk controller. I have no idea if it will work but it's worth a try. If that doesn't do it, open the case and make sure the cable is connected properly. Unplug it and then plug it back in on both the drive and where it connects to the motherboard. If it still doesn't work, perhaps it's toast. Do you have another floppy drive you could try in it? If so, you could try connecting it temporarily and see if it works. If you don't have an extra one laying around maybe buy one and give it a try? Floppy drives are cheap and you can easily find one for $10 dollars or less although if you go through Dell you can expect to pay more for one.

11. 2006/05/12
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

12. 2006/05/12
    Zander

Duh, now why didn't I think of that? I wonder if that's a sign of...... :)

13. 2006/05/13
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I have found working backwards may be less struggle than paddling against the tide of "I wonder if that's a sign of..... ".
    :D
    Matt

14. 2006/05/13
    Zander

:) :) :)

15. 2006/05/14
    PHarvell

I like to thank everyone for there advice.It is time for a new floppy.

16. 2006/05/15
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
    Zander and I can now paddle off. Trouble is, Windows is in the back paddling in the opposite direction.

:)
    Matt

17. 2006/05/15
    Zander

More like you and I were paddling in opposite directions and you were being smart and paddling downstream, I, in my infinite wisdom, had to do it the hard way and try to paddle upstream. :D